PDA

View Full Version : Living spells?

Xenongoddess
10-05-2012, 02:51 PM
I am building a wizard tower and thinking of devious traps. one of my ideas was to have a Living Plane Shift wandering the lower levels of the tower to rid unwanted guests. I'm not really sure if this is even a viable option or even a good choice. would the effect be linked to a certain plane or would that be random. oh my a ooze that will teleport people to a random location on a random plane with a touch that has to be one of the evilest things I have ever thought up.
The living spells are really integrating to me what are some other ways to use living spells. I would like to hear your ideas on how to use these lovely monsters. The most obvious use is damaging spell effects like fireball but I would like to hear some uses for lesser used spell effects.

tesral
10-06-2012, 02:15 AM
I've used them in places. "I had a living polymorh wandering one lab.

I try not to use living spells that will destroy a character or make them unrecoverable. Might I suggest a living teleport instead? Say to the nice pit the basement. Give it a greenish glow and let them assume.

dougefersheezy
10-06-2012, 05:29 PM
Why not have a construct / trap built that will detect a presence with arcane eye and then cast the spell? Check out Nijineko's responses in the "Clever Traps" thread. If you're building a mage tower, I assume you can afford the constructs...

tesral
10-07-2012, 01:54 AM
The old spell turret.

nijineko
10-08-2012, 11:31 PM
did you check out the living spells article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archeb/ls)?

i believe the mm3 has a few more examples.