PDA

View Full Version : Which of the newer WoD games do you like the most?

Rain_Spider_08
05-09-2007, 04:30 PM
I'm new here and was just curious as to who (if any) liked the newer WoD games and if so which one is your favorite? I did not include the upcoming Changeling the Lost due to the fact it hasn't been released yet. I did however include just the regular WoD myself due to the fact I think it's fun at times in games to just be a regular mortal (to a degree) among supernatural "baddies" :D

Forgive me for adding Scion as a WoD game technically it's just white wolf, I realized my mistake yesterday after I bought Scion. Forgive me let's just say it's a New WoD and White Wolf games poll.... ::highly embarressed at the moment::

P.S. Forgive me if I do mess up on making this poll I'm still relatively new to forums :o

Ed Zachary
05-09-2007, 09:25 PM
Bring back the older versions!

PhishStyx
05-09-2007, 09:54 PM
I played 2nd edition for a couple years and liked it pretty good, but I never bought the books. Then they changed everything to be more my current favorite game, WitchCraft, and I'm just not interested in a 2nd game that does in 40 books what WitchCraft does in 5.

Deathworm22
05-10-2007, 04:50 PM
Vamp the Requiem, it rules!

Rain_Spider_08
05-11-2007, 11:06 AM
I do miss the older versions... mainly vampire the masquerade but at the same time I like all the options available in the newer games... the bloodlines in vampire the requiem are amazing. I only wish they hadn't made the malkavians a bloodline that stems from the ventrue D:< THAT ticked me off. I do love Promethean the Created though :D

Digital Arcanist
05-15-2007, 10:04 AM
I'm with Ed on this one....bring back the older games

Moritz
05-15-2007, 01:25 PM
Is this now a d20 game or is it still scan-tron darken in the bubbles?

Rain_Spider_08
05-15-2007, 04:59 PM
It's still a darken the bubbles game and you only need 10 ten sided dice to play :D. I prefer it that way though, but that's only my opinion.

fmitchell
05-22-2007, 06:54 AM
I like some of the ideas of the World of Darkness (particularly Promethean), and the revamped system is definitely easier (although I don't know how probabilities compare).

However, the 5x5 pattern in all the games I've seen -- five bloodlines/clans/lineages/whatever vs. five philosophies/organizations/whatever -- makes all the games seem like plug-and-chug copies.

PhishStyx
05-22-2007, 11:49 AM
However, the 5x5 pattern in all the games I've seen -- five bloodlines/clans/lineages/whatever vs. five philosophies/organizations/whatever -- makes all the games seem like plug-and-chug copies.One of my favorite things about WitchCraft is that it has room for a lot more than that. I admit it doesn't give each one a full book, but there's about 30 total published groups in the setting and each is individualized, each one stands on it's own (although some certainly have a nemesis group).

Rain_Spider_08
05-22-2007, 12:59 PM
However, the 5x5 pattern in all the games I've seen -- five bloodlines/clans/lineages/whatever vs. five philosophies/organizations/whatever -- makes all the games seem like plug-and-chug copies.

Actually Vampire has some "bloodlines" books that make it to where there are far more options available than just picking one of the five clans, it makes it to where it has bloodlines that stem out from the original clan to where there are in a sense of the word more clans you can play. Personally I'm partial to the Bohagande Gangrel bloodline :3 the concept of actually being able to steal luck from ones foes and use it to your advantage I find very intriguing :D

MortonStromgal
10-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Mortals! Though I like parts of Vampire and Mage alot. :D

Mirina
11-05-2008, 04:35 PM
nWOD Mortals has my vote, but I'll third the motion to bring back the older games!

Webhead
11-05-2008, 05:10 PM
I'd say of all the nWoD games, Mortals has the most appeal to me, especially Tales from the 13th Precinct. Of the "reimaginings" for the various other game lines, some come across as distasteful while others just seem "meh"...

boulet
11-05-2008, 11:19 PM
I only have VtR and MtA so I can't really answer the OP with full knowledge. The pattern so far is that I like what they did with the rules in general and I see them as an improvement overall. But when it comes to setting/protagonists flavor I'd go with Webhead's "meh". Oh well I wouldn't mind reinjecting Camarilla/Sabbat and some metaplot goodness into Requiem... And out with the Seers of the Throne and gnagnagna Atlantis crap, I prefer the setting of Mage the Ascension (though the traditions never excited me).

Webhead
11-06-2008, 09:08 AM
...And out with the Seers of the Throne and gnagnagna Atlantis crap, I prefer the setting of Mage the Ascension (though the traditions never excited me).

I'm on much the same page about Mage. The whole "Atlantis" bit annoys me and I always favored the original "story concept" of Mage, and I was similarly weary of the division/stereotyping of the Traditions (I preferred playing and running for Orphans for the most part).

Bearfoot_Adam
11-06-2008, 09:30 AM
Changeling the lost all the way. sadly the poll was closed before the game was released. I feel that not only is it the best of the NWOD I think it is the best thing white wolf has put together. However I have not had a chance to check out Scion and it does look fun. As far as the stories being better in the old of course they were. Epic battles between good and evil or rather two differing view points on what is good. What's not to love. I think a big part of the reset was to get rid of the metaplot so that it doesn't limit the story you want to tell. I know you can always ignore the metaplot but when there is so much about the coming apocalypse, or those pesky antideluvians, when they are so much a part of the game I noticed that it fealt a little like ignoring the elephant in the room.

MortonStromgal
11-06-2008, 10:19 AM
I think it would have been better if the main books had 2 factions and 5 character types but that these not be the only ones (and dump the bloodlines and what not). Then they could come out with other books containing more factions and character types slowly. Even giving them a theme like the faction books for vampire.

I also think the mortal game should have been designed as a mortal line from the beginning. I guess they couldn't predict how well it would sell though.

Honestly I find myself liking the old with a few rule clean ups (thanks nWOD for the ideas on how to clean up oWOD) just the right fit.