PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Class

starfalconkd
05-08-2007, 05:19 PM
Do you have a favorite class and/or prestige class? I'm rather partial to Bard and Eldritch Knight myself, allthough I have never used them together.

Farcaster
05-08-2007, 06:34 PM
Although I try to keep myself from playing the same character over and over, I tend to gravitate towards clerics. Usually, I tend towards the martial and law oriented gods, so my character borders on being a paladin, but with a much greater range of spells (and in 2nd edition, much easier to qualify for). My second favorite archetype would actually be the scholarly or investigator type cleric, but I've one or twice played this role as a bard, albeit briefly before the campaign fell apart.

Sadly as it may be, I most often DM, so I don't often have the chance to expand my horizons as a player.

:cool:

Farcaster
05-08-2007, 06:36 PM
Ohhh. I should also add that I like the Cleric/Loremaster combo. :)

Moritz
05-09-2007, 07:09 AM
Paladin, Paladin, where do you roam?

Ed Zachary
05-09-2007, 07:32 AM
Evil Priests... being good is a waste of what that class can do.

Wizards and Sorcerers... so much variety with all the spell choices you have.

Revolt268
05-09-2007, 09:17 AM
Thats a hard question for me since I pretty much play everthing under the sun. I tend to lead towards monks and paladins, but my more recent fav is the Swordsage from the Book of the Nine Swords. I also play sorcerers/monk combos alot. I would say my favorite presitige class is Walker of the Waste, got to love having an army of sand golems and becoming a dry lich, although it does suck when it rains :(.

starfalconkd
05-10-2007, 01:25 PM
I tend to lead towards monks and paladins, but my more recent fav is the Swordsage from the Book of the Nine Swords.

I'm planning on trying out a monk/paladin. Ever play one of those?

Evil Priests... being good is a waste of what that class can do.

I always figured neutral priests get away with murder. Able to cast evil spells and channel positive energy.

Revolt268
05-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Yes I have, they are kind of odd. They can be very cool. The hard part about them is you need so many good stats, but its not to muhc different the being a monk in general, just need CHA now with the Wis/dex/str/con hehe. If you do try it out, take a look at Complete Adventurer. It has a feat for Monk/Paladin combo called "Ascetic Knight". Not to bad of a feat. One really nice thing about that combo is that you will have amazing saves, as long as you have good CHA. There are quite a few other feats out there that will make it even more worth while but I can't think of them off hand.

Kilrex
05-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Hard choice here. LN Hobgoblin Monk/Cleric or CE Gnome Illusionist/Tinker? I will have to go for the Gnome, just for the fact my buddy was having a go at being DM for the first time and it was my chance to get back at him for his continual use of Half-Orc Barbarians that ruined most negotiations for advancing the story.

Illusion + Exploding Acid Traps = Fun!

gurusloth
05-12-2007, 04:42 AM
Halfling sorcerer/rogue-->arcane trickster PrC. That was a pretty fun ride, although the DM was a bit easy on us.

Other than that, the Warblade from Tome of Battle seemed like it would be fun. I also like new takes on the core classes, like Rogues with loads of skill tricks and luck feats from Complete Scoundrel, or a Warforged Barbarian with the alternate rage from Unearthed Arcana.

stealthygeek
05-12-2007, 06:19 AM
Call me bland, but I like a good ole human fighter brandishing a longsword and light mace - peppered with a little magic to beef up the saving throws. You spice him/her up with a creative backstory that you play true to.

starfalconkd
05-12-2007, 08:22 AM
Call me bland, but I like a good ole human fighter brandishing a longsword and light mace - peppered with a little magic to beef up the saving throws. You spice him/her up with a creative backstory that you play true to.

You're hardly bland. Simplicity can allow for awesome roleplaying, especially when the simple guy defeats the uber-villain.

Ed Zachary
05-12-2007, 09:05 AM

You're hardly bland. Simplicity can allow for awesome roleplaying, especially when the simple guy defeats the uber-villain.

I agree with the above, anything I want to do with a D&D character can be done with the 11 core classes.

For me, I do not get to create and run many characters, so I don't get bored with the selection. Role playing should be enhanced by the race and class selection. Too many people get caught up in playing an odd class and odd race once or twice, and never develop that into a character with character.

Digital Arcanist
05-15-2007, 09:56 AM
My favorite class right now is the Duskblade from PHB II. They finally melded the fighter/wizard class properly.

The Warmage from Complete Arcane is a close second with its ability to add the INT modifier to spell damage.

Rain_Spider_08
05-15-2007, 09:58 PM
My favorite class I got from my "the complete adventurer" book I love my tielfling Ninja :D but I also love the ranger class, I prefer melee combat not magic though I am willing to try almost any class that has anything to do with pets/mounts/companions. I also have a centaur ranger.

Swiftblade
05-20-2007, 10:05 PM
I'd have to say either a Wizard/Archmage/Elven High Mage.
It takes a lot to get there, but when you do, don't mess with the Elf. And people think magic missile sucks, have a mage who can modify the spell just a little and mark it up and cast that puppy and watch the Advanced Red Dragon fall from the sky and drop dead in a crater in the forest.

Though my classic that has most characters rolled up would be the self-sacrificing Paladin.

LadyAtrayu
05-21-2007, 10:29 PM
Right now, I'm going to have to say Warlock is my favorite followed with Sorcerer as a close second. I haven't been playing very long and I'm about to dabble in Cleric of Wee Jas so we'll see how that goes. :D

Radex Wingrider
05-24-2007, 10:42 PM
My favorite class to play would have to be the bard class, but I'll play anything. I have strong leanings for sorcerers, and I like clerics favoring Chaotic and Neutral deities. As for Non PHB classes I particularly like to play a scout from Complete Adventurer, and I'd also like to try a warmage from Complete Arcane.

Dorquemada
05-28-2007, 11:58 PM
My second favorite archetype would actually be the scholarly or investigator type cleric

You might want to take a look at the Archivist from Heroes of Horror. They are of a more scholarly bent, as they prepare divine spells from a book like a wizard and they can learn any divine spell, including those only usable by Druids, Paladins, Rangers, etc.

NEPatsFan72
07-13-2007, 10:18 PM
I found my 1/2 fiend warlock/hellfire warlock to be a great deal of trouble for my DM, pesky NPC mages seem to go up like matches....

Ghezryln
07-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Is that D&D?

shilar
07-14-2007, 06:26 AM
Me I like skilled characters. Rouge, bard, ranger, or wizard. Some people wonder why I put wizard on there, with a high intelligence they tend to get a lot of skill points actually. In a small party(less than 4) or a large party(more than 6) I may also play a spellsword or elven bladesinger.

Inquisitor Tremayne
07-19-2007, 01:56 PM
Currently playing a Cleric of Pelor and finding that it has to be the best class to play for its versatility.

However I freakin love rangers so if this cleric ever goes away I'll be playing a ranger.

The Wandering Bard
07-21-2007, 12:28 PM
The bard!!! I love the versitilty of the class, the ability to case some divine/and arcane spells. is great. Also the fact that the Speaking skills allow you to really get your hands in on an encounter that deals with talking your way out. (See sacrilege of Calminshan!) I love making new idenities for my character to be. Also the fact that I can use rogue skills, and stand on my own in combat is a huge plus.

Moritz
07-21-2007, 01:37 PM
Bards and Druids alike, they have access to both arcane and divine spells. But they sure do fall down a lot at lower levels. "Help I've fallen and I'm bleeding out." - Sorry ma'am, Life Alert can't help.

Argent
07-22-2007, 12:53 PM
Hands down, the rogue. I especially like the versatility of the class in 3.5, and so I will play one any chance I get. A close second is the Human Fighter, because sometimes you just want to hit things and hit them very, very well. ;)

QZip
07-22-2007, 04:01 PM
I'm a sucker for lots of abilities. Whenever I see that "Special" column chock full, my desire to play the class is about tripled. Not to say that's all I'll play (I'm currently a straight-up fighter, though I might take up Dragon Shaman or Knight), but I prefer it.

MortonStromgal
10-17-2007, 04:43 PM
if a role is needed I'll go with dwarf cleric, dwarf fighter, elf rogue or elf wizard. If there is no role needed half-elf bard all the way. I'd play a human but I like my special vision to much.

Timothy Floyd
10-30-2007, 05:43 PM
Do you have a favorite class and/or prestige class? I'm rather partial to Bard and Eldritch Knight myself, allthough I have never used them together.
My favorite classes are cleric/rogue. I am either a halflling or an elf.

Timothy Floyd
10-30-2007, 05:47 PM
I don't care really to play a human. To me there are to many restriction.

Timothy Floyd
10-30-2007, 05:51 PM
My character is chatotic nuetral so there is alot more i can get away with.

Belkar
11-05-2007, 02:17 PM
I agree with LadyAtreyu, Warlock is just too cool.

I haven't found a class with as much flavor yet (which really helps RP). The ability to throw a spell-like ability around every round that can jack things up is unreal.

Eldritch Blast aside (magical ranged touch attack with damage progression better than most any other first level ranged touch spell), you can learn Baleful Utterance at 1st level (shatter is a 2nd level spell, people...!). You can attempt to sunder a weapon (or wagon wheel, or wand, or whatever) at a distance, every single round.

Multiclassing into a rogue/warlock or a scout/warlock - darn near broken. Sneak attack/Skirmish with your eldritch blast; can still wear light armor; skills out the wazoo, it's just... whoa yeah!

Vulture
11-05-2007, 03:16 PM
i prefer to play a half orc barbarian, though i will play a cleric from time to time, my favorite prestige class is the Blackguard

Fsuphilosophy09
11-05-2007, 10:56 PM
rogues for some reason i always end up playing rogues.. one time i managed to play a SHadow Dancer which was cool as well... over all though theres just somethign about being sneaky, quick, and often times a compelete surprise to the enemy thats appealing

Riftwalker
11-06-2007, 09:16 AM
I like wizards. Their spell selection lets you get creative.

Digital Arcanist
11-12-2007, 08:59 PM
I recently discovered the coolness that is a mephling ninja.

I understand the Inquisitor enjoys the cleric of Pelor. They are a wicked fun class but check out the cleric of Mystra in the FR setting. People call a lot of classes broken because they are jealous of the player but this class is truly broken and really should be the benchmark for all future accusations. I've never seen one played which is why I feel I can give my opinion as objectively as possible. The stats and description alone indicate demideity status. There is also a prestige class to go with it.

Grinnen Baeritt
11-13-2007, 04:20 PM
I haven't even heard of some of the classes mentioned in this thread!

:o

I'm not sure I have a favourite... if I were tied down and forced to choose it'll probably be the Bard or Ranger or Druid... (any of the tree-hugging classes of old..Yep by Bard I mean't Old-style AD&D Fighter/Thief/Bard bards... the ones with a little bit of all three.

As far as D20 goes I'm working through them all slowly...

Favourite Race: Human...or Gnome.

My Favourite character of all time was an AD&D Gnome Jester (Best of Dragon III).

Skunkape
11-14-2007, 01:03 PM
I can't say that I have a favorite class. I have preferred classes that I play, and don't really have any that I won't play, but no favorite as it were. I do like to play more martial classes, so I tend to play fewer spell casters, with wizards and sorcerers at the bottom of the list.

Most often I'll play a fighter or ranger, but have been known to play paladins and currently am playing a rogue in one campaign and a ranger in another.

As far as races are concerned, I prefer humans, then elves.

Thriondel Half-Elven
12-13-2007, 10:13 PM
my favorite class is the Ranger. it's a nice mix of everything. a bit of frontline fighting, a little stealth, and even some magic. i like the whole outdoors woodly thing

Olothfaern
12-14-2007, 01:39 AM
You get to do anything; I mean anything and that's around 9th level. Anything higher, it it goes so far off the charts that DMs have to keep you in a two day running fight to run through all your resources...

Drohem
12-14-2007, 11:34 AM
Hmmm...no one has brought up any of the psionic classes.

If I had to chose, I would have say dwarven soulknife.

Xaels Greyshadow
12-14-2007, 06:15 PM
I like Rogues. Any variety of Rogues does well for me. I collect all things Rogue and have pretty much been playing one for about 30 years. You can focus there skills to be second story characters always maxing climb/balance/jump/tumble and use rope along with the usual disable locks/traps or you can go the disguise master route, or the forger, any number of super combo's. Rogues are far more than just party "Skill monkeys" when they're needed most.

starfalconkd
12-15-2007, 06:52 PM

If I had to chose, I would have say dwarven soulknife.

Soulknife is a fun class. I think they should have less abilities and fighter ATB though. Playing an upfront fighter with a bad ATB can be difficult.

Akarobi
12-16-2007, 11:11 AM
I am a cleric/mage fan. Had an evil one once as a cleric of Loviatar. Lots of fun, and very useful. I am also partial to the Monk. I really hope they do the class justice in the upcomming edition.

rabkala
12-16-2007, 11:20 AM
I am a cleric/mage fan. Had an evil one once as a cleric of Loviatar. Lots of fun, and very useful. I am also partial to the Monk. I really hope they do the class justice in the upcomming edition.
Clerics and mages are also my favorites. Though, I am currently playing a swashbuckler/rogue that is shaping up nicely. Not a 13th level halfling fighter/ thief, but it is good to be a geek.;)

Digital Arcanist
12-16-2007, 11:28 AM
A friend of mine likes to play Swashbuckler/Dread Pirates if there are oceans anywhere near the areas we are adventuring in. It has turned out to be useful and entertaining.

rabkala
12-16-2007, 11:43 AM
A friend of mine likes to play Swashbuckler/Dread Pirates if there are oceans anywhere near the areas we are adventuring in. It has turned out to be useful and entertaining.
My friend, Troy, played a Dread Pirate in a previous campaign I ran. It was definitely the most colorful character in the group.

shilar
12-20-2007, 01:27 AM
I haven't played a psionic character in 3.x ed. I loved them in 2nd but they pulled all of their teeth in the new version and made them to much like a wizard to boot. They just don't feel unique for me anymore.

Maelstrom
12-20-2007, 05:50 AM
Gotta say, I'm pretty fond of the Artificer class even though I haven't yet seen one in action (my Eberron campaign is starting in January).

I would absolutely love playing one, being able to create so many items and infuse weapons. They are perfect for the type of role I like to give my PCs (tactical genious that prefers to direct combat rather than engage fully himself).

Malruhn
12-20-2007, 10:42 PM
I recently left a group where I played an Artificer. Be warned - they are NOT Hero material... they are buffers - buffers from heck! My character couldn't fight/cast/sneak his way past a corpse, but his infusions and magical gimmicks made the entire party MUCH more powerful than they were originally.

And, as a note, we used alternative rules (put out by WotC) that allowed the crafter of magical thingies to use a willing subject's XP to craft... so I didn't lag behind the party in levels. I also had the three craft feats (legendary artisan and the others) so I could craft faster, and cheaper with XP and GP. I crafted at about 33% of market value, but charged my group the full 50% of market value - so I could craft stuff for me as well.

Oh, and watch out for humunculi!! If one gets killed, you get hurt, BAD! As much as I wanted, DON'T build a lab and set up a hundred little Dedicated Wrights to build stuff for you. A single fireball and your Artificer would end up a pretty pink mist - with no clue as to what happened.

Oh, and as to what my favorite class is? What am I playing right now... THAT's my favorite. It might be a clerk, a mage, an archer, a rogue, a basket-case - it doesn't matter - whatever it is, I love the class at the time. Don't ask me two weeks from now, because I may be playing something new - and my answer may be different!

Digital Arcanist
12-20-2007, 10:50 PM
I recently left a group where I played an Artificer. Be warned - they are NOT Hero material... they are buffers - buffers from heck! My character couldn't fight/cast/sneak his way past a corpse, but his infusions and magical gimmicks made the entire party MUCH more powerful than they were originally.

And, as a note, we used alternative rules (put out by WotC) that allowed the crafter of magical thingies to use a willing subject's XP to craft... so I didn't lag behind the party in levels. I also had the three craft feats (legendary artisan and the others) so I could craft faster, and cheaper with XP and GP. I crafted at about 33% of market value, but charged my group the full 50% of market value - so I could craft stuff for me as well.

Oh, and watch out for humunculi!! If one gets killed, you get hurt, BAD! As much as I wanted, DON'T build a lab and set up a hundred little Dedicated Wrights to build stuff for you. A single fireball and your Artificer would end up a pretty pink mist - with no clue as to what happened.

Oh, and as to what my favorite class is? What am I playing right now... THAT's my favorite. It might be a clerk, a mage, an archer, a rogue, a basket-case - it doesn't matter - whatever it is, I love the class at the time. Don't ask me two weeks from now, because I may be playing something new - and my answer may be different!

I feel the way same about the Artificer class. I think within the Eberron campaign setting they are fine but when transferred over to any other setting and they are unbalanced. I see them as the bard of a group. When all the other spots are filled and you still have one more player.....make them a bard or artificer.

Maelstrom
12-21-2007, 06:07 AM
Eberron seems to take a whole different take on balance. Warforged are not your average race, same with shifters and kalashtar. Probably why they incorporated Dragonmarks for the other races to balance it out a little, but I get the impression they were more concerned with fun than balance.

I'd definately play an artificer like I said, as someone who stays in the back, watching and attempting to shift the course of a battle as it ebbs in flows. I imagine him looking like the Dwarf Sniper D&D mini- A dwarven artificer with a modified heavy crossbow, a spyglass attached to the top for a scope.

Digital Arcanist
12-21-2007, 12:56 PM
There are too many inconsistencies in the Eberron books and the setting. Only a human should be able to have a Mark of Making but during character creation you can pretty much do anything. Its too frustrating for me to play in the setting, although I like to read the novels and the sourcebooks.

Mulsiphix
12-25-2007, 02:12 AM
I've always been drawn to the way of the warrior. I just can't get enough death and I love playing the role of a solid tank. I really don't require that much diversity and care little for options when building on my character. As long as I can rush into groups of enemies, start swinging, and usually live to see another day... I'm set :P

TheDarkestOfAngels
01-02-2008, 09:46 AM
I would have to say that I have three favorite classes from any of the WotC books-
The Bard
The Sorcerer
The Wizard

What can I say? I likes me my spells. The wizard has the variety and knowledgability.
The sorcerer has the fricken charisma (which is just fun by itself) and some serious arcane power to back himself up.
The bard can do just about everything. He's the quinessential adventurer.

Anaesthesia
01-02-2008, 11:10 AM
I my first character was a Elf bard. I love bards. It's rare I don't play a bard.

My first bard, Anaesthesia (the Elf), was very entertaining. My second bard, a gnome, was also very entertaining. The other gnome in the party, who was a fighter, and I would point and laugh at the Humans and the Elves.In Gnome. Of course no body else took Gnome as a language so everyone was lost in the loop. (At one point in that campaign we had to help a self-described Druidish "princess" who had lost her memory/didn't know who she was excpet her name and she was a Princess. I turned to the Gnome fighter and said, "She doesn't very look Druidish to me.." Gotta love space balls).

Mulsiphix
01-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Growing up and when playing video games I used to think the Bard was the most useless class. I just hated them. Now that I'm older I'm very much like a Bard in real life (always telling stories, going to great lengths to try and allow others to "live" my memories when I tell them about them, enjoy writing, etc...) and they think are extremely cool. Guess growing up has that effect. Although "grown up" is used loosely :D

Bloodwyrm
01-02-2008, 02:28 PM
I Have A elven Darksword, and a Human Pally. My Favorite has got to be the darksword.

I Like Oldskool Chaotic-Evil Fighter/Wizard

rabkala
01-02-2008, 08:37 PM
If you want to go oldschool, the elf was a very good class. There were no wizards, just magic-users. Magic-users got better as they went up in levels.

Multi-classing was definitely suboptimal in previous editions!

Bloodwyrm
01-05-2008, 04:28 AM
I was Actually a Elven Fighter/Magic-user When I First Started He Rocked.

tesral
01-05-2008, 05:42 PM
No setting survives contact with the DM and PCs. Really, once you dive in and start playing in a setting, it's yours. Your doing things to it, changing it from what it is in the books simply by interacting and being interacted with.

Passed the point you make a setting yours, everything that is supposedly for the setting has to pass muster. It has to audition to be in your Forgotten Realms. Module 137 might not fit anymore. Your players killed the Great Flummox, so an adventure based around the beast can't happen.

So what the "Official Rules" might say is strictly up to you as to whether anything like that comes close to happening. A pre-written setting is a place to start and something of a time saver. However, it isn't a 100% out of the box and by the book solution and never can be.

I'm going to rag on the RPGA so if you love the RPGA move along. I consider the whole RPGA "Everyone can have the same adventure" thing do be about a dumb as an idea comes. Is nothing uniquely your character's to have? Doesn't look like it.

rabkala
01-06-2008, 12:34 AM
You completely miss the whole concept behind the RPGA. The reason of the RPGA isn't to be your own little piece of heaven. It gets people together. It is to give people an opportunity to experience face-to-face gaming opportunities. Not everyone has a game of their own or people to play with. It is about getting to know more people and being part of the larger community of gaming. It offers adventures which you can use at your own home games if you would like. It offers the inexperienced a way to learn from others. It offers a lot of things to many people. How can you 'rag' on such a noble purpose?

Have you no social conscious? What have you given back? What have you done to ensure the survival of the game we love? What have you done to improve the products that gaming companies put out?

Sitting in a basement with the same couple people for 30 years does not make anyone a Master, far from it. Staying cut off in your own little world causes stagnation and death. Try experiencing many different styles of play and offering a better way to others. I have run open games, games at cons, home games and (yes) RPGA events. There are thousands who play because of the efforts of of open minded DM's who are willing to give back to the community.

tesral
01-06-2008, 02:43 AM
Have you no social conscious? What have you given back? What have you done to ensure the survival of the game we love? What have you done to improve the products that gaming companies put out?

Let's see, I can point out my rule in the Battlesystem book. I was responsible for getting gaming as a programing item in the southeast Michigan SF conventions. I ran the gaming track at ConFusion and Conclave for several years. Lack of a good car caused me to drop out, or I might still be doing it. I simply forget how many games run at conventions, both SF and gaming. Games that got applause from the players at the end of the session. Plenty of behind the scenes work in the interest of gaming at more cons than I can remember. Many a neophyte group started by me to teach the game. My legacy is all over the area and few people know it, and that suits me fine. Gaming is strong, and I am part of that.

However, every contact I have had with RPGA has given me a negative impression. I don't think they, as a group, are that good for the hobby. As to RPGA players in my games? They crumble and fail. They cannot keep up. Knowledge of the rules will not get you though one of my scenarios. Game mechanics will not save you. You need to think and think fast.

Does this answer your question?

rabkala
01-06-2008, 02:58 AM
Does this answer your question?
Not really, but it will have to do for the sake of decorum. This thread is about favorite class, let's get back to it, shall we?

Bloodwyrm
01-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Not really, but it will have to do for the sake of decorum. This thread is about favorite class, let's get back to it, shall we?

Right on!! well ill jump back into the topic. i Just Tryed Out a Corrupt Avenger being My Pally Had the prereqs for it and i liked the evil style pally hes a crazy one eheheheh

DrAwkward
01-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Right now I'm thinking about a high level undead Warlock that uses Utterdark Blast with Eldritch doom, healing himself (and his minions) with his area effect attack every round.

Thats a nice solid villain, right there.

tesral
01-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Favorite class? I don't really have one. I almost have a disfavorite class, I find myself playing very few fighters. Not that I dislike fighters but I don't play many of late.

My favorite has to be the Healer. something I developed out of an old, OLD Dragon article many a year ago. While yes they heal, in pratice they become the investigator. What is the Doctor's primary job? Finding out what is wrong to fix it. They end up being the support PC. They are my favorite NPC for a group.

rabkala
01-09-2008, 07:02 PM
I remember that class, it was great. I played several in 1e and 2e. One of my younger cousins played Healer almost exclusively, only switching to ranger for a couple adventures.

AmazingTriangle
01-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Favorite class you say: Warblade, only cause it is like my fighter class but better in all the right ways.

Favorite Prestige Class: Dread Commando, this is because I love the flavor of the navy seal/marine kind of in out killer type.

They are my favorites maybe not the most powerful but definitely neat theme wise

tesral
01-09-2008, 11:08 PM
I remember that class, it was great. I played several in 1e and 2e. One of my younger cousins played Healer almost exclusively, only switching to ranger for a couple adventures.

Which version of Healer? I recall at least two from Dragon, and my own. There could be even more.

rabkala
01-10-2008, 12:01 AM
As I recall, the healer was in best of Dragon 2 (don't quote me on that, memory is a bit fuzzy). First level was (nearly) all detect spells, but they ramped up pretty fast on the healing/curing spells after that. They couldn't wear armor, but could use any weapon. It has been several years since I even thought about them, but that's my recollection.

tesral
01-10-2008, 12:32 AM
That would have been the old writeup of Healer. I made a lot of changes. This is the 1st/2ed version of my Healer (http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com/fantasy/fantpdf/healer.pdf). I have revised it for d20 but other than the Classes chapter (http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com/fantasy/fantpdf/Manual_Cp04_Character_Classes.pdf) of the 2.8 book it hasn't been published.

Grimmwor
01-10-2008, 12:42 AM
hmmm, more so than class, I definitely have a favorite race to play: Dwarves.

As far as classes go...I guess I am kind of partial to sorcerers...

Mulsiphix
01-10-2008, 12:58 AM
Kinda related to the topic; do you guys think the new dragonborn and plane-touched will be new favorites? Kinda hard to imagine myself as I've only be exposed to the traditional Tolkien fantasy classes (played many Fantasy themed video games and read many fantasy novels).

Grimmwor
01-10-2008, 01:59 AM
I definitely like the artwork for the dragonborn...it's badass. Check some out here...

http://www.dfwd20.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=64

Mulsiphix
01-10-2008, 05:20 AM
HOLY CRAP THEY LOOKS AWESOME!!! Thank god for talented artists :D

http://www.dfwd20.com/photopost/data/522/Dragonborn_Warlord.jpg

http://www.dfwd20.com/photopost/data/522/Dragonborn_Fighter.jpg

http://www.dfwd20.com/photopost/data/522/Dragonborn_Wizard.jpg

Bloodwyrm
01-15-2008, 04:03 PM
Wow excellent art. grats on who drew em.

Aleolus
01-16-2008, 01:43 PM
I'm quite partial to the Dragon Shaman, myself. 'Course, I like any class that benefits from a high Cha score. If you're talking pure core, then Paladin.

PrC, I don't know. Haven't been able to multiclass into them often, but the Annointed Knight from the BoED is quite nice.

The Wandering Bard
01-18-2008, 01:13 AM
WOW is the only thing that comes to mind. I love the look of dragon kin look.

Mulsiphix
01-18-2008, 03:13 AM
The Dragon Warlord is my favorite. I know it isn't what anybody wants to hear but he just looks so cute and precious in his specially tailored armor. "Who is gonna raise a village? You are :p. Who is gonna kill all those women and children? You are aren't you :D"

razada
02-01-2008, 02:27 PM
I like to play with the variant rule about gestalt charachters (pg.72 unearthed arcana). this has opened up many possibilities. my favorite, the warlock/ninja gestalt. the usefulness of getting a sneak attack touch attack versus their base 10 AC.......ooohh. add that with darkness as an invocation I can always hide.

Shadow Dweller
02-01-2008, 03:14 PM
Favorite Class...Monk. Definately Monk. Yes, I know they have a crappy BAB, but that's can be worked around with flury and Wep Fin. Especaily since I play very heavy Dex/Wis based monks for very had to break through defense and saves. I normally drive my DM nuts cause he has to pull out tricks to hit my character most of the time.

As to race, Elves. Probably Wood Elves since you take the hit on Int and not con which helps a lot.

DrAwkward
02-01-2008, 03:17 PM
I like to play with the variant rule about gestalt charachters (pg.72 unearthed arcana). this has opened up many possibilities. my favorite, the warlock/ninja gestalt. the usefulness of getting a sneak attack touch attack versus their base 10 AC.......ooohh. add that with darkness as an invocation I can always hide.

I like slapping gestalt on monsters with high level adjustments. The class levels on the other side mean you don't fall behind on hit die.

My current melee-munckin build puts War Hulk levels (Miniatures Handbook) on top of War Troll (MM III?), with fighter levels thrown in as filler.

War Hulk is strange is that it has no base-attack advancement at all, in exchange for +2 str every level. Gestalt that with a class that gets full BAB, and you are swimming in cheesy goodness.

DrAwkward
02-01-2008, 03:25 PM
Favorite Class...Monk. Definately Monk. Yes, I know they have a crappy BAB, but that's can be worked around with flury and Wep Fin. Especaily since I play very heavy Dex/Wis based monks for very had to break through defense and saves. I normally drive my DM nuts cause he has to pull out tricks to hit my character most of the time.

As to race, Elves. Probably Wood Elves since you take the hit on Int and not con which helps a lot.

ya, my first Living Grayhawk character was a wood-elf monk that started with 1 level of ranger (back in 3.0 when rangers were more front loaded). Had a lot off fun with the GMs telling me to save and then go "Oh, yeah. Monk."

Mostly I did it because you are dirt poor in LG, and the monk's starting cash wasn't enough to even pay the adventuring tax (meaning all starting monks were lawbreakers by default :confused:).

He was a little stronger than your usual monk, which worked out pretty good in the end. Fun class, but trickier to play than a tank.

Dravion
02-01-2008, 03:27 PM
I tend to favor the Ranger or the Rouge myself. But I have been known to use a Mage or Cleric at times.

Shadow Dweller
02-01-2008, 08:51 PM
ya, my first Living Grayhawk character was a wood-elf monk that started with 1 level of ranger (back in 3.0 when rangers were more front loaded). Had a lot off fun with the GMs telling me to save and then go "Oh, yeah. Monk."

Mostly I did it because you are dirt poor in LG, and the monk's starting cash wasn't enough to even pay the adventuring tax (meaning all starting monks were lawbreakers by default :confused:).

He was a little stronger than your usual monk, which worked out pretty good in the end. Fun class, but trickier to play than a tank.
I've tried the Str based monks that hit hard...and to be honest, I don't like them nearly as much as the dex based ones.
Playing arround a bit lately with hypothetical builds I've got some interesting things I'd like to try with a starting package of 6 levels of fighter to get extra melee feats early up to weapon specalization(SP?) then swaping over to monk. Doesn't work too well unless your starting at a higher level, 7 or more so you have the monk unarmed damage for free and not blowing a fighter feat on it early. Plus, a fighter with a mediocre strenth at best is sorta difficult to play. Plus, you have the extra HP up front which helps the mid level monks survive a bit longer against wizards and their anoying fireballs/lightning bolts untill you hit monk 13 and get diamond soul. :) YAY free SR!

ElrikDarkstorm
03-20-2008, 06:43 PM
I always liked playing a ranger,half elven or a full elf or a fighter/mage

The Silencer
03-21-2008, 10:14 PM
Mine is Old School I have been running a Gnome Th/Ill I love to just have fun. But my first and Best Character was an Assasin Named THE SILENCER
most just called him Thorn (Cause he was a Prick)

rabkala
03-21-2008, 11:03 PM
Ahem.... :mod::banplease::ban:

Let's keep it above the boards and family friendly. ;)

The Silencer
03-22-2008, 09:38 AM
Ahem.... :mod::banplease::ban:

Let's keep it above the boards and family friendly. ;)
That's Bad?

rabkala
03-22-2008, 10:17 AM
Not really too bad, definitely light years away from anything ban worthy. Just playing around with the new smilies. :lol:

The Silencer
03-22-2008, 03:46 PM
Not really too bad, definitely light years away from anything ban worthy. Just playing around with the new smilies. :lol:
Cool... was worried there..:peace::usa2:

nijineko
03-23-2008, 02:10 AM
hmmm. favorite class. that's a hard one. in the arcane section, i would have to say beholder mage-hands down. that is what i want my arcane caster to be like. =D too bad i have to be a beholder to make it work. oddly enough, beholder mages make half decent monks too.

after that battle sorcerers and favored souls. i'm not fond of repicking my spell selection over every day, basically. continuing with the divine idea... i like rangers and healers and radiant servants.

on the melee side, dervish is my current like.

i've very fond of the soulbow and the illumine soul. the ebauer and the erudite also make my list. and the pyrokineticist is just fun.

and off the beaten path, i always did have a sneaking fondness for the timelord class. never got to play one, sadly.

to be truthful... i more have favorite characters, than favorite classes.... :D

mrken
03-24-2008, 10:43 PM
I think my favorite character was a cleric. Some enchanted armor fell to him from a recently deceased fighter. The armor was enchanted by his god and was much more powerful on him than the fighter ever imagined. Only problem was he couldnít hit the ground if he dropped his mace. The rest of the group loved him though because he absorbed at least half the damage the party took just by standing in the way. Lol

Another one I really enjoyed was a Cavalier/Noble. He was a great deal of fun role playing, but never really got to do much fighting because he was the local lord. But he had a great back-story that really filled in the game.

The character I used to begin my current campaign was an archer. I donít remember much about him as it was 20 years ago, but when I moved to Colorado I moved him in character and started a new area on the fringe of the Northern Territories. The story has taken off from there with many sub plots that turned into major pieces of the campaign. He is an old man now and his children are getting ready to take over from their olí man.

tesral
03-25-2008, 12:00 PM
I think my favorite character was a cleric. Some enchanted armor fell to him from a recently deceased fighter. The armor was enchanted by his god and was much more powerful on him than the fighter ever imagined. Only problem was he couldnít hit the ground if he dropped his mace.

Oh yea, been there, been done by that. Personally and at the party level. Yoris, the Dwarven Ranger has a d20 that thinks it's a d6. Mine you that is any d20 he rolls. Not my PC this time at least.

Frobozz
03-25-2008, 01:10 PM
Favorite class? Pure Fighter. I like the whole aspect of being a total combat monster without the gimmicks of magic spells or powers. Have him dual-wielding swords, axes or sporting a big, honkin' Greatsword.

mrken
03-25-2008, 04:26 PM
Kind of like those old Ral Partha minis.

Frobozz
03-25-2008, 04:34 PM
I got a few dozen of those old Ral Partha mini's, a fair amount of 'em painted too :D

mrken
03-25-2008, 04:40 PM
The minis that have the fighter with the eighty pound sword still make me wonder what the sculpture was thinking. :ballchain:

tesral
03-26-2008, 08:37 AM
The minis that have the fighter with the eighty pound sword still make me wonder what the sculpture was thinking. :ballchain:

Ever try to do a rapier in that scale? I did one fig with a steel sword, yea, real steel. Took forever to file that sucker to shape. It started life as a piece of 0.003 shim stock. I took an old Martian metals Wizard I added a dramatic cape and the steel sword.

I love the one comment on the fig. "I don't know who that guy is, but I don't want to mess with him."

cplmac
03-26-2008, 10:00 AM
Favorite class? Pure Fighter. I like the whole aspect of being a total combat monster without the gimmicks of magic spells or powers. Have him dual-wielding swords, axes or sporting a big, honkin' Greatsword.

Yes! A dwarf fighter, followed as for second choice a human fighter. I like having characters that take care of the meat & potatoes of the combat action while leaving the sides and seasoning to the rest of the party.

Once had a DM that let my human fighter wield a two-handed sword in one hand only due to having a strength of 18/90. This was in a 2E campaign that he made up himself.

Frobozz
03-26-2008, 02:54 PM
Once had a DM that let my human fighter wield a two-handed sword in one hand only due to having a strength of 18/90. This was in a 2E campaign that he made up himself.

That's not impossible. I own a greatsword measuring 5'4" tip to pommel and I can wield it one hand. It's not that unwieldy though the inertia of swinging it is kinda rough on the forearms and it's definitely not a fast weapon when swung this way. I'm pretty strong and though it wears me out quick, I don't see why somebody tall with a bodybuilder's physique couldn't do it easily.

cplmac
03-26-2008, 07:18 PM
That's not impossible. I own a greatsword measuring 5'4" tip to pommel and I can wield it one hand. It's not that unwieldy though the inertia of swinging it is kinda rough on the forearms and it's definitely not a fast weapon when swung this way. I'm pretty strong and though it wears me out quick, I don't see why somebody tall with a bodybuilder's physique couldn't do it easily.

Who says that you have to have a "bodybuilder's" physique to not get wore out quickly?

tesral
03-26-2008, 11:46 PM

It's the inertia that gets you. Weight, D&D aside is not that great an issue. A greatsword is balanced for two handed use, so it works best that way. In two hands it's a quick weapon.

Frobozz
03-27-2008, 12:07 AM
Exactly, if I were to put physics to the rules, I'd give wielding a 2-hander with 1 hand a -2 thaco -2 damage, half strength bonus applied for wielding 1-handed, because no matter how strong you are, the sword will still do more damage and be wielded more effectively 2-handed.

I forget what the ruling in 3e is for trying though. Isn't it something obscene like -8?

nijineko
03-27-2008, 05:22 AM
depends on your size catagory. i don't recall the exact penalty. i think they might have drawn a line and simply said you can't do it at some point.

Webhead
03-27-2008, 08:52 PM
My favorite class? Elf...back when Elf was a class. :D

What? That doesn't count? :eek: Fine...if we're talking AD&D, I'd have to go with either Ranger or Thief, but when it comes to 3.X, it would be either Paladin or Wizard.

Favorite "race": human

Favorite prestige class: Spellsword...absolutely

Fox
05-31-2010, 06:28 AM
Mind you I almost only play 3.5, never touched 4th.

Most favored class is prolly fighter, but I play everything except for arcane full casters. I like martial power so everything that does not provide a full bab progression will end up being part of a multiclass build.

Law
05-31-2010, 07:28 AM
I don't play much D&D, but when I have, I have most enjoyed playing a bow-wielding Fighter or Ranger.

whpsh
06-01-2010, 04:23 PM
I'm a big fan of martial clerics. I had high hopes for the hospitler prestige class. It wasn't quite what I'd call a perfect class, but it was damn close.

Lord.Sorasen
07-16-2010, 04:23 AM
Cloistered Cleric... Or perhaps regular cleric. Prestige into Church inquisitor if regular cleric... Contemplative if cloistered. Favorite domains are summoning and strength.

I have a huge fondness for the bard and psion classes as well... Which is why in my current campaign I am trying to play a bard/psion/cerebremancer. But it's not turning out too well.

Geode
08-03-2010, 03:04 PM
I try many classes, but my favorite so far is wizard.
*shrug* I like being adaptable.

Malruhn
08-03-2010, 05:28 PM
This is funny - I even posted earlier - but never actually answered the original question.

What class is my favorite?

What am I playing right now? THAT'S my favorite class. I can have a blast with anything - and I have. I don't have a legitimate favorite - or a least favorite.