PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ideas.

Rashdi
08-19-2012, 08:06 PM
Hey guys. I've just started to get into rpg's and thought, why not come up with my own. So far I haven't been having much problems but I'm stumped in one aspect. Since my game is going to be class based, I decided I need some sort of "healer" class. Anyone got any ideas for a name for this class. (Not a cliche like paladin though :/)
Sorry for any bad grammar/spelling ;) english isn't my first language.

Ryklu
08-21-2012, 09:55 PM
I think a more suitable approach to this design and mechanic can be found in the class's role within the game's world.

What do you want your healer to do? Is this a healer a la a priest or medicine man, or is this a warrior with the ability to heal others? Will the healer be armed and armored, or will it have a stated or unstated vow of mercy? Why are these healers traveling among warriors, thieves, assassins, and magically inclined people? What role does the healer play in the larger world? What does a healer do when it is not adventuring?

If you gain a distinct sense of the class's role, power, and overall utility, the name will be much easier to find since it will merely be a reflection of the class's place in the world.

Aside from that long-winded response, a few common names are: priest, apothecary, cleric, and shaman. These are common terms that may not fully identify and image your unique class concept, but they may serve as points of origin on your path to a fun and exciting name.

nijineko
08-22-2012, 12:57 AM
some names: curer, doctor, medicine man, mender, physician, shaman, therapist.

you could also branch out on your own and coin or create a word, perhaps based on the mechanics of how the healing is accomplished, or by the organization served, or even by a historic, mythical, or religious figure; somewhat as suggested above.

Malruhn
08-22-2012, 09:10 PM
I would look at it from a semantics point of view.

How does the person do the healing?

A cirurgien (kai-urgeon) would do "surgery" type of stuff.
A "healer" may just lay on hands.
A paladin or faith healer may do it in the name of a deity.
A "painter" may use temp tattoos to heal (drawing the things as they SHOULD be)

I have a version of healer that "internalizes" all wounds - transfers the wounds to HIMSELF, and then he heals himself of the wounds. Think about it like a movie - it's pretty interesting.

Like I said - these are semantic differences - the end result is a healed victim. I'd just spend some time to see how the mechanics of your healers work to name them.

DMMike
08-23-2012, 12:45 AM
some names: curer, doctor, medicine man, mender, physician, shaman, therapist.

you could also branch out on your own and coin or create a word, perhaps based on the mechanics of how the healing is accomplished, or by the organization served, or even by a historic, mythical, or religious figure; somewhat as suggested above.

I'll take therapist for 500.

nijineko
08-26-2012, 06:39 PM
I'll take therapist for 500.
the answer: combines 60's theories with modern medicine.