PDA

View Full Version : BoL & DoW

Xhaosdaemon
07-30-2012, 10:39 PM
Speaking of BoL and its incarnations, I have actually cobbled together some rules using a meld of Dogs of WAR and Dicey Tales for a zombie game. Tentatively called Dogs of the Walking Dead it came about as a way to test out some google satellite maps of actual locations over maptools (which worked pretty well BTW!). Anyhow if anyone is interested in taking a peek I can post them for critique. I had a tentative alteration to the advancement system to slow down how quickly it happens since in a couple BoL games I played in advancement seemed to happen a bit too quick. I also have specific rules for zombie nastiness. :)

Simon W
08-09-2012, 01:15 AM
Advancement is in your hands - since you get APs at the end of a Saga and a Saga is as long as you want to make it. So, if APs were too quick, make your Sagas longer!

I'd like to see DotWD...why don't you put it online somewhere (or give me permission to do so, if I like it?)

Xhaosdaemon
08-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Here you go, my "house rules" for DotWD, feel free to critique, make suggestions, etc. I took off the advancement rules because those were more designed for online games which have a tendency to be overly free with advancement points.

Dogs of the Walking Dead Rules Adjustments

Character Generation

Attributes: As per Dogs of WAR

Combat Abilities: As per Dogs of WAR

Backgrounds: As per Dogs of WAR
Boons/Flaws are handled as per Dogs of WAR however players can also choose Boons/Flaws from Dicey Tales with the GM's approval.

Specializations: Players receive 4 specializations at Level 0, chosen based upon their background.
Players do NOT automatically start with Soldier as this setting does not assume all players begin with military training.
Players receive 4 points to distribute among their specializations, with a maximum starting Level of 2.

Academic specialization is split into Academic and Scientist.

Additional Available Specializations: Athlete
Entertainer
Farmer
Journalist
Laborer
Merchant
Priest
Vagabond

Languages: Start with 1 language +1 per point of Mind (unless possessing an appropriate Specialization then 3+)

Combat and Gear

Ranged Weapon/Damage/Range Increment:
Small Pistol/1d6-1/25 feet (+1 to conceal)
Medium Pistol/1d6/50 feet
Heavy Pistol/1d6+1/75 feet

Machine Pistol/1d6-1/40 feet (+1 to conceal)
Submachine Gun/1d6/50 feet

Assault Rifle/1d6/100 feet
Hunting Rifle/1d6+1/125 feet
Sniper Rifle/1d6+2/150 feet
Large-Caliber Sniper Rifle/1d6+4/300 feet (requires STR of at least 1)

Light Machine Gun/(2d6)+1/150 feet (take best of 2d6)
Heavy Machine Gun/(2d6)+2/250 feet (take best of 2d6)

Shotgun (Shot)/3d3(1d3)/40 feet (1st dmg is close range <+2 to hit>, 2nd dmg for anything further)
(Slug)/2d3+3/60 feet

Bows/Crossbows/Thrown Knives as per Barbarians of Lemuria

Burst/Full Auto Fire:
Burst Fire: -1 to hit, +2 to damage
Full Auto Fire: -2 to hit, +4 damage

Called Shots:
Arms/Legs: -2 to hit; if arm make STR check vs. Dmg or drop item in hand, if leg movement reduced by 50%
Head: -4 to hit; +1d4 damage
Vitals: -4 to hit; Target stunned for 1d3-1 rounds, minimum of 1 round
(Non-called Shots are considered to hit the torso area)

Aiming:
A combatant can take 1 full round to aim at their target, gaining a +2 to hit vs. any called shot penalty

Initiative:
Roll 1d6+AGI at the start of the 1st round, initiative order remains through the combat

Movement:
Base Movement: 25 feet + 5 feet per point of AGI
Running Movement: Base Movement x 2
Sprinting Movement: Base Movement x 4

Zombie Attacks:
Base zombie attack is a grapple, target is grabbed on a successful hit
Next round unless the target breaks the grapple or "kills" the zombie it automatically bites for 1d4 damage (target must make STR check or become infected by the bite)
Multiple zombies grappling the target can automatically inflict 1 point of damage per zombie as a result of tearing and clawing the target (armor does not protect against this damage)
Breaking a zombie grapple requires a check vs. STR or AGI plus Brawl and any applicable specialization (-1 to the check for each additional zombie after the 1st)
A target killed by any damage after being successfully infected by a zombie bite automatically reanimates after 1d6 minutes
A target infected by a zombie bite but not killed will become a zombie within 1d6 hours
A successful headshot vs. a zombie that does more than minimum damage automatically kills it.

Xhaosdaemon
08-17-2012, 07:48 PM
Still awaiting some color commentary from folks to see what they think about my DoW/Dicey Tales/BoL hack, especially from Simon. :)

Dustland
08-17-2012, 10:53 PM
Sorry bud, I never played it so I can't help!

Golden Age Superhero
08-20-2012, 06:13 PM
Looks okay. Only ever played BOL although I would like to try Dogs of War.

Simon W
08-21-2012, 12:59 AM
Looks ok - except you've slipped in some D4's into the system which currently only uses D6's.

Xhaosdaemon
08-21-2012, 11:27 AM
Looks ok - except you've slipped in some D4's into the system which currently only uses D6's.
Well, it is really only one d4, but it is easy enough to change it to 1d3+1 instead of 1d4 for the headshot damage. :)