PDA

View Full Version : [Supers!] Omni Power?

Andrew Collas
08-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Hey guys,

So I am finally looking at Supers! (mostly as I really prefer rule lite and I LOVE the counter an attack with a power idea) so I must look at my players and see if we can remake their characters. And then we find the Masonic Knight™, who has the power to manipulate the Power Cosmic to do anything he can think of. In the system we use now he has to ALWAYS do whatever he is doing as a Power Stunt, and if he fails his power rebounds on him as an energy surge and he takes damage.

How could this be represented in Supers! ?

Dustland
08-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Wizardry (because you can do anything with it) plus a complication that if he fails to create the effect (power) out of the cosmic essence, he takes an immediate attack based on the dice pool of the effect he was trying to create as the cosmic forces slip from his grasp and rip at his being (ok, to me, this should net the character +2D for the complication).

And welcome to Supers, awesome freaking game!

Dragonfly
08-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Hi Andrew!

I would say Wizardry 5D (Complication: Debilitating) or Wizardry 5D (Complication: Side Effects). Personally, I think its the first, with the Judge and player agreeing that the character will only lose 1D to Resistances "if he fails." It's up to you to determine what constitutes failure. Is it when the power doesn't have the desired effect, or is it if the player fails his "Wizardry" roll to create the desired power? That's up to you guys.

Yes, this is slightly less hampering than the actual Debilitating Complication, but I'd say it's worth the -1D to the cost anyway. SUPERS! doesn't really care about such fine distinctions.

Let us know how your games go! It's always good to have new blood!

Cheers!

Dragonfly

Andrew Collas
08-07-2012, 09:54 PM
Well I haven't decided to start running this just yet.

I am looking at this, as well as Marvel Heroic Roleplaying and Capes, Cowls & Villains Foul.

The idea is to move away from the traditional superhero point build, disads out the wazzoo, strictly defined mechanics.

I am going to have to find someone to run me through the games, one-on-one type of thing, at some point, since I learn by doing more than reading :)

Still there is A LOT to like about Supers!

urbwar
08-08-2012, 02:27 AM
Andrew,

Glad to see you finally here! I was preaching this game to you over a year ago :biggrin:

You should see about joining the PbP game Dustland is getting ready to run. Might help you get a feel for the game.

Andrew Collas
08-08-2012, 06:31 PM
Well I just read the game through and I have to say that I am super impressed already. I mean this looks like a fast and lose system.

I would need MORE though, more Disads, more Ads, more powers, etc... also I would want to introduce a Wild Die from D6, since I like the excitement of that for players.

How are the House Rulings for most? Anyone made any and collected them?

I want to plug into the community!

Andrew Collas
08-08-2012, 06:36 PM
real fast

Would it make sense to do Wizardy with 2 complications, 1 - Activation Roll and then if that roll fails, he takes 1d?

Would that work?

Would that give him 2D back?

Dustland
08-08-2012, 06:49 PM
Oh I'm a HUGE fan of the Wild Die, just not practical on a pbp setup. I have a thread somewhere concerning it...

Would it make sense to do Wizardy with 2 complications, 1 - Activation Roll and then if that roll fails, he takes 1d?
The only problem with that is that the Activation Roll isn't a Complication, it's just part of the power.

I would need MORE though, more Disads, more Ads, more powers, etc
The rules as written are very bare bones. The good thing is that the game is uber-easy to mod and add to, the bad thing is it turns off people who want the game to cover everything with a predefined rule.

Andrew Collas
08-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Wizardy has a built in activation roll? See the point is, he HAS to bend the forces to his will first and THEN attack. So that is why I would add an activation roll.

As for the Wild Die, I agree, it is an awesome thing, send me the link to the thread?

Xhaosdaemon
08-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Yes Wizardry has an activation roll to emulate a power/effect. Say my guy Pyrebird wants to fly at 100 mph. Flight is 1D per 50 mph so he would need Flight at 2D which is a Difficulty of 6. He has 3D in Wizardry so if he rolls a 6+ on 3d6 he gains the Flight power for a GM-specified amount of time, probably for a "scene". If he wants to throw ice bolts at 3D he would need to pick-up Elemental Control (Ice) at 3D which is a Difficulty of 9. I believe you are usually allowed to use the power (spell) you cast in the same round as you cast it. You could add other Complications to Wizardry since activation rolls are built-in.

Andrew Collas
08-09-2012, 03:51 PM
That works for me man, thank you :)

Andrew Collas
08-15-2012, 12:55 AM
So here's how I did it;

Wizardry 5D: Comp: Damaging on Failure, Comp: Powers Only

So this means that he takes 1 to a resistance if he fails the roll and he can only use it to duplicate powers, not create items, etc...

It worked perfectly in play.

Dragonfly
08-16-2012, 05:17 PM
Cool! :-)