PDA

View Full Version : [SUPERS!] New Product: The Freedom Ring (TGI)

Dragonfly
07-16-2012, 06:29 PM
Howdy folks!

This is to announce a new product for SUPERS! written by yours truly. It's published by The Guys' Ink (or TGI) - a company started by the gaming group that I belong to. The product is:

The Freedom Ring

It features fantastic art by Rus Boyd (A.K.A. Dustland). That alone is worth the cost! Check out the snazzy cover below!

You can pick it up here: http://www.rpgnow.com/product/103847/The-Freedom-Ring

Check it out and let me know what you like and don't like. I'm always interested in feedback.

Best,

Dragonfly

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7262/7586450328_8082799961_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/45079249@N06/7586450328/)
sv01free_cov (http://www.flickr.com/photos/45079249@N06/7586450328/) by Eletarmion (http://www.flickr.com/people/45079249@N06/), on Flickr

Toric
07-16-2012, 08:28 PM
Purchased! Looking forward to reading it.

Dragonfly
07-17-2012, 11:49 AM
Thanks Toric! PLEASE let me know what you think - good and/or bad. This is my first publication, and I'm looking for any and all ways of improving my product.

Also, please confirm that the formatting came out okay on it. I was a little worried because when I tried doing a preview, one of the chapter pages didn't show the word "Introduction" in the Badaboom BB font. Things look fine on my end, though, so maybe there aren't any issues like that at all.

Dustland and I are working on the sequel - The Iron Gauntlet. More on that as it goes.

Best,

Dragonfly

urbwar
07-18-2012, 04:41 AM
Hope to pick this up soon. Maybe it will motivate me to finish the Supers! version of The Triad

Dragonfly
07-18-2012, 06:11 AM
Hope to pick this up soon. Maybe it will motivate me to finish the Supers! version of The Triad

Hey, urbwar! Let me know what you think if you pick it up. You know I'm a big fan of The Triad, so I'd love to see the Supers! version hit the virtual shelves! :)

Best,

Dragonfly

Golden Age Superhero
07-18-2012, 01:29 PM
You should run a demo game with the characters to see how they work. Looks like you have a Captain America clone, an Iron Man clone, a Spider Man clone and a Thor clone. Who's the other guy supposed to be?

Dragonfly
07-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Howdy Golden Age Superhero!

They are meant to be homages, to a degree, but I'd hesitate to call them clones. Their origins are quite detailed and, I daresay, unique. The character that you mis-identified as Spider-Man inspired and "the other guy," in particular, turned out to be more complex than intended - and I mean that in a good way. The former is named Itsy-Bitsy and came to me years ago while playing with my then 2-year-old daughter. The latter is named Min-Max.

Their origin(s) inspired one of the major "big bads," who will appear in the next installment, The Iron Gauntlet, as well as the entire third book planned for the series - a book of villains titled The Kingdom.

As far as a playtest is concerned - I'd be happy to run it at your table, if the others are interested. Just let me know.

Best,

Dragonfly

novaexpress
07-18-2012, 05:02 PM
Just bought it.
Great product!
First impression : the art is very nice. And the layout is clear and makes the content easier to read and understand.
The frame you used to describe the characters and NPCs stats is one of the most understanding way to put it that I've ever seen. I mean, just by quickly glancing through it, I can interpret the character on the fly.
I've still have to read it, but right now, I'm not disappointed with my purchase.
Besides, 50+ pages of good quality (and in colors) for $5 (2.46 euros), that's what I call a good deal!
I'll give you my opinion about what's inside as soon as I read it.

Dragonfly
07-19-2012, 04:14 PM
Howdy novaexpress!

Thanks for the suppport, man! I really appreciate it! I'm glad your first pass through the material leaves you with a positive impression, and I look forward to any other feedback you can give. Again - I'm aiming to improve my offerings, so feel free to be critical.

Best,

Dragonfly

urbwar
07-21-2012, 09:11 AM
Went ahead and picked this up today. I only skimmed it, but I liked what I saw. A nice group of heroes with a good set of powers, as well as being ethnically diverse (which is a nice touch). I like the optional info, and hope to see more in future releases.

My only complaint, although Minor, is that I would prefer the cover be part of the actual pdf, and not separate. I like the art (though one of Maiden America's legs is at a weird angle for me), but the usual stellar work Dustland does. The cover looks great too.

I hope down the road you might consider compiling all 3 releases into one, and doing a pod version. I think Dustland's stuff needs to be in print. I'm biased of course, because of the stuff he's done for me, but yeah, I'd love to see it in print

Dustland
07-21-2012, 07:49 PM
Funny you should mention the interior art for Maiden America. I was going for a more whimsical pose for and was referencing a ballet move for her, thus the unconventional position. Once I had that down I went back and forth on whether to include the "flame" out of both feet or just the one facing down. I went with both, but it may have made more sense visually to just have one (or none). Regardless, glad you like the book!

novaexpress
07-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Howdy novaexpress!

Thanks for the suppport, man! I really appreciate it! I'm glad your first pass through the material leaves you with a positive impression, and I look forward to any other feedback you can give. Again - I'm aiming to improve my offerings, so feel free to be critical.

Best,

Dragonfly

Hi Dragon,

I read it.
It is well written (I'm not an English native speaker, but I read a lot of RPGs in English for the last two decades, and I can assure you that it is better written than a lot of others RPGs I read).
I did like the page 4 in the Introduction. The spirit of the team reminds a bit of The Authority (I mean in their relation with politics).
Also, the notes about the characters are very useful (especially, the powers/tactics part).
About the optional rules, I think I will use the advancement rule, and also the lifting chart. Just a small hint, next time you use charts like that, maybe it could be a plus to convert the data in the metric system (kilograms/kilometers) next to the imperial system.
I don't use standees (neither figurines), but that's a good addition for those games using them.

Finally, I'm happy with my purchase. I don't think I'll use the team because it doesn't get too much into my campaign genre. But Skana and Thunderbolt could make good opponents.
But above all, I'm waiting more for either enemies, or a description of the world, or campaign events and scenarios ideas. It would suit my taste better than a ready-to-go team.

I hope what I wrote is clear because I made it quickly and I'm not peculiarly fluent in English.

Dragonfly
07-27-2012, 03:12 AM
Hi novaexpress!

I very much appreciate the continued feedback, and I'm glad you found The Freedom Ring enjoyable and somewhat useful.

I purposefully left the Freedom Ring's orientation to politics and methods somewhat vague to encourage Judges to take them wherever they need or want to. They could easily swing towards an Authorityesque position. They could also rein in some of their more extreme impulses and be "edgy" but relatively mainstream.

The list of things you hope to eventually see is very useful for me, as I'm currently deciding what to do next. I know Judges find villain books more useful than superhero team books, but in some ways I needed to define a set of heroes for this universe, in order to spawn its villains. The sequel to The Freedom Ring is already in production. The Iron Gauntlet will feature some of The Freedom Ring's arch-enemies (which can, of course, easily become arch-villains for any group of super-heroes). Dustland completed art for one of the villains (The Mammoth) last week, and submitted the line art for the second villain (The Grey Ghoul) last night. They are looking GREAT!

The third in the series will be another villain book. Titled The Kingdom, it will feature the offspring of The Sire, who is one of the members of The Iron Gauntlet and the primary enemy for both Itsy-Bitsy and Min-Max.

I've got a fourth book planned after that. CHIMERA vs. UNICORN will be my stab at the Superverse's versions HYDRA and SHIELD or COBRA and G.I. Joe. A fifth book, set in the 1960s, promises to blend the Fantastic Four, atomic horror, and beach party movies into something light-hearted and strange.

Anyway, the universe is unfolding as I create its individual parts. At some point (probably after CHIMERA vs. UNICORN), I'll have enough material to craft something akin to a world guide, a timeline of events, and scenario ideas (or perhaps full-blown scenarios). I've thought about drafting a big, thick, detailed Guide to the Superverse at some point, and I still very well might, but to be honest, I'm a little bit hesitant. As a consumer, I always found roster books most useful when they gave me character histories, but left it up to me as a GM to define the universe around them. Back when I played Champions, for instance, I loved the Enemies books. I'd read the character histories over and over, and wove them into my various campaigns in my own ways. Once all that info got compiled into The Champions Universe, however, I sort of lost interest. I mean, I enjoyed reading that supplement very much, but unconciously I felt like its timeline was trying to intrude on the events of my own campaign.

Anyway, if enough folks ask for it, I'll probably go ahead and do that Guide to the Superverse at some point. Your the second person to request it, so we'll see. :-)

Finally, I encourage you to review The Freedom Ring over on rpgnow.com. I'm not asking for positive reviews - just honest ones. :-)

Cheers!

Dragonfly

novaexpress
07-29-2012, 06:07 PM
Cool news.
I'm eagerly waiting for what's next to come.
About rpgnow, I see what I can do.
BTW, as I belong Bash as well, is there some differences in the optional rules between the Supers and the Bash versions?

Dragonfly
07-29-2012, 08:23 PM
Cool news.
I'm eagerly waiting for what's next to come.
About rpgnow, I see what I can do.
BTW, as I belong Bash as well, is there some differences in the optional rules between the Supers and the Bash versions?

Howdy Novaexpress,

There are indeed differences. The BASH! version also includes lifting rules (which are obviously different, because the systems are different). It also includes expanded benchmark tables for the abilities, new benchmark tables for skills and combat values, and a ton of weapon and armor stats that provides more granularity for weapons in the game.

Cheers!

Dragonfly