PDA

View Full Version : Rules Question: Life Support

Dragonfly
07-09-2012, 10:58 AM
Hey folks!

What's your take on the die code for the power Life Support?

I'm sort of torn.

One approach is to have each die in the power be a different inhospitable environment.

Example: Starlord can fly in space, so he has Life Support 4D (Conditions/Environments: Cold, Radiation, Suffocation, Vacuum).

Another approach is to have the power apply to all inhospitable environments (although this can be modified with Complications), and then use the die code to Judge things like time, intensity of exposure, etc.

Example: Starlord has 4D in Life Support. This allows him to survive in any inhospitable environment, including, but not limited to, outer space. Starlord sees a spaceship being pulled into Earth's sun, and dives in to pull it to safety. The Judge rules that Starlord must make a successful Life Support check to avoid taking damage, because the sun represents a particularly extreme inhospitable environment - something out of the ordinary, even for Starlord.

Simon: How did you intend for it to run?

Everyone else: How would you run it?

Best,

Dragonfly

Dustland
07-09-2012, 11:53 AM
Wow, great options. I think the second for one major reason...

When someone with Life Support gets attacked by an appropriate power (say a blast of cold), I would let the character use Life Support to defend against the attack because it is an extreme condition (I'm assuming a cold attack is much colder than say the temp. at the North Pole which wouldn't require a roll for even someone with 1d Life Support). If you took the first route, the character could interpret it as "immune to.." since they had to pick one and would take umbrage to having to roll against it.

You also get into really goofy arguments if you go the first route; suddenly you have to think of all the types of conditions I need to buy in order to survive a particular environment (what do I need for high altitude flight? deep sea diving? space flight near the sun where gravity becomes an issue? etc....)

If the character wants to impose a limitation on the Life Support, so be it, otherwise I'd say it protects against all normal conditions 100% and requires dice rolls against extreme conditions and situations (attacks, getting too close to the sun, diving into a volcano, etc)

Hope that helps!

Simon W
07-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Wow, great options. I think the second for one major reason...

When someone with Life Support gets attacked by an appropriate power (say a blast of cold), I would let the character use Life Support to defend against the attack because it is an extreme condition (I'm assuming a cold attack is much colder than say the temp. at the North Pole which wouldn't require a roll for even someone with 1d Life Support). If you took the first route, the character could interpret it as "immune to.." since they had to pick one and would take umbrage to having to roll against it.

You also get into really goofy arguments if you go the first route; suddenly you have to think of all the types of conditions I need to buy in order to survive a particular environment (what do I need for high altitude flight? deep sea diving? space flight near the sun where gravity becomes an issue? etc....)

If the character wants to impose a limitation on the Life Support, so be it, otherwise I'd say it protects against all normal conditions 100% and requires dice rolls against extreme conditions and situations (attacks, getting too close to the sun, diving into a volcano, etc)

Hope that helps!

This is how it was intended. :)

Dustland
07-09-2012, 07:23 PM
See, you should let me write the next iteration of Supers! :)

Dragonfly
07-13-2012, 06:33 AM
This is how it was intended. :)

Hey fellas!

As always, thanks for the feedback and clarification! That's what I assumed, but my Champions, Mutants & Masterminds, and BASH UE honed instincts had me second guessing myself. I much prefer SUPERS! approach to it. It's less niggly.

Best,

Dragonfly

urbwar
07-13-2012, 07:01 AM
See, you should let me write the next iteration of Supers! :)

You really want that gig, don't you? :p

Dragonfly
07-13-2012, 10:46 AM
You really want that gig, don't you? :p

Hey, for what it's worth, next to Simon Dustland seems to get SUPERS! more than most. The material he shared from his hopefully upcoming supplement is sheer genius. He also gets the narrative elements, seems intent on supplementing rather than changing rules, and otherwise honors the elegance and genius of the game. In addition, he writes clear, engaging, examples to illustrate rules.

Don't get me wrong: the rest of us ain't shabby. EVERYBODY on these boards has elevated my understanding of the game, and I hope I've done my share in these regards as well. I would love to be involved somehow in a second edition of the rules, as a play-tester, contributor, whatever. That being said, I would eagerly stand in line, money in hand, to buy an edition of the rules written by Dustland.

Best,

Dragonfly

Dustland
07-13-2012, 01:29 PM
I'm willing to shamelessly self-promote, nudge, accept wildly exaggerated praise, and shout for attention if that's what it takes to get me the opportunity to advance my favorite rpg :)