PDA

View Full Version : [SUPERS!] PbP game recruiting

Toric
07-05-2012, 03:29 AM
I'm going to be running a PbP game of SUPERS! here at penandpapergames.com which we've been discussing in another thread here. I wanted to make a separate thread about this so that anyone else that might be interested would see it. I have three players onboard so far and I can handle as many as three more. Thus far, all I can say about the game is that it will likely be set in Supersville and will have a definite four-color, silver-agey feel to it. The specifics of the campaign are still being developed and will remain foggy until I have a good idea of what sorts of characters we will have in the game. If interested, please reply here.

Dustland
07-05-2012, 06:06 AM
I'm in, Worm for the win!

Dustland
07-05-2012, 06:07 AM
Worm "Unsquishable!"
Type: Reformed criminal
Resistances: Comp 2d Fort 3d Reac 2d Will 2d
(5d total)
Aptitudes: Intrusion 3d Streetwise 2d
(3d total)
Powers: Burrowing 1d, Immunity (Blunt force trauma) 3d, Regeneration 1d, Stretching (Boneless structure and tentacles) 4d, Super Senses (Tremor sense and Heightened Scent) 2d, Webs (tentacles) 3d
(14d total)
Ads: Hideout (cave deep beneath the earth), Is that your best shot?
Disads: Direputable (criminal history), Public ID, Ugly (seriously, he has tentacles), Weakness (Salt)
(net +2d)

Background:
Worm discovered early on that he was incredibly resilient. Unfortunately every neighborhood bully did too, so he spent the better part of two decades getting the snot beat out of him without the benefit of finally being knocked out. By the time he was ten he was known as Worm.

One day his body reacted to the abuse, fleshy tentacles bursting from his body, assaulting his tormentors and revealing his true potential! Soon thereafter he learned that he had no true skeleton and was able to project tentacles out of every inch of his body. It got to the point that his skin would ripple all the time as tentacles moved about just under the surface. Really quite a nauseating sight.

Unfortunately Worm couldn't find a productive outlet for his power and turned to petty theft to support and amuse himself, eventually landing in the super-slammer for attempting to burglarize a bank. Ten hard years later and he was out, and vowing to turn over a new leaf and make something of himself. Of course the public and police know exactly who he is and what he's done, so no one's quick to give him a second chance.

And who knows? Maybe it is just another scam...he is the Worm after all.

urbwar
07-06-2012, 09:53 AM
Decided to whip up a character real quick. I decided to adapt the character I am currently playing in Villains & Vigilantes. I kept him in the 20D range, using 1D from Aptitudes to raise one of his resistances (since he got Academia & Technology as part of Super Brain, I only added 1 more aptitude). If we can go higher, let me know, as there was 1 or 2 other abilities I wouldn't mind adding. I left his enemy blank, in case you wanted to work that out with me. If not, I can come up with one easily.

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp82/urbwar/Supers%20Character%20Sheets/Glare0001.png

Dragonfly
07-07-2012, 06:18 AM
Howdy folks:

Here they are again. I may tweak them a bit, but probably won't have time until tomorrow.http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8018/7483687490_c2913bbe66_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/45079249@N06/7483687490/)
Pacifica-Answer (http://www.flickr.com/photos/45079249@N06/7483687490/) by Eletarmion (http://www.flickr.com/people/45079249@N06/), on Flickr

The second is tricky. I originally made her as an homage to Wonder Woman, but she's a space alien rather than mythological. I've crammed her into 20D, but she should probably be a 30D character (or 25D) to pull of what she was originally intended to be. I don't mind player her at a lower power level, though. Here she is:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8028/7483687630_c36b348808_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/45079249@N06/7483687630/)
Pacifica-Andromeda (http://www.flickr.com/photos/45079249@N06/7483687630/) by Eletarmion (http://www.flickr.com/people/45079249@N06/), on Flickr

Dustland
07-07-2012, 07:33 PM
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee374/Rusintx/Worm2png.pngEarly bird gets the Worm! Can't wait to start fightin' some crime!

Simon W
07-08-2012, 05:01 AM
My, he's attractive. He's obviously not the team's PR person!

I'm just trying to decide whether I can muck in or not. What's the turn turnaround etc? When you planning to start?

Toric
07-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Wow, it would be an honor to have you play in the game, Simon!

As far as posting frequency goes, I'm shooting for two or three posts per week. I plan to post a turn and then give everyone a couple of days to reply and the I'll post the next turn and so on. Just enough to keep it moving and keep interest up without being too much. And the player posts don't always need to be mini novels. Oftentimes a sentence or two is all that is needed to move things along.

So two or three posts a week is the general target. I'd love to have you play if you can swing it.

Dustland
07-08-2012, 04:51 PM
Any thoughts as to when we'll launch this bad boy? :) I'm itching to get the Worm on patrol...

Dragonfly
07-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Hey folks!

I tried to pop in yesterday to compliment the other players on their characters, and to express how excited I am about playing in this game. Also, it would be GREAT if you could join us, Simon! What an honor!

For whatever reason, though, I couldn't get in. I kept getting a "thanks for logging in" message, but it wouldn't actually connect me. This has happened to me before. It usually corrects by the next day, but one time I went like 3 weeks w/out being able to connect. Anybody else have that issue?

Anyway, I'm excited about playing! I'm now leaning towards Andromeda. She might round out the group a little better. I'll make a final decision when I see what other characters are involved (if that's okay, Toric).

All the best!

Dragonfly

Simon W
07-09-2012, 12:10 PM
I'll use Dragster from the rulebook.

Dustland
07-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Sweet! I can't wait!

urbwar
07-11-2012, 01:50 AM
This is turning out to be very interesting, especially if Simon can join us. Toric, I had asked when I posted Glare if we were sticking to the base 20D for characters, or if we could go higher. I wouldn't mind adding 1-2 more powers to Glare, but if we're at 20D, then he's complete as is. Should be an interesting group with Glare, Andromeda, Dragster and Worm (who looks quite lovecraftian there Dustland!)

Toric
07-11-2012, 05:14 AM
Sorry urbwar, I missed your question from your earlier post. Yes, we'll be sticking to 20D characters to start. Of course, as we progress, more dice will be earned to spend on characters.

Been a bit busy the past couple of days, so I apologize for my silence.

Simon, you playing Dragster would be awesome! If you are definitely in, I believe we can start play with four PCs. If we feel like we need more down the line, we can always go looking.

I think we can probably get started in the next day or two. I'm assuming that the game itself should be conducted in the Play By Post forum here? Or should it be right in the BBG forum? I don't want to clutter this forum if that is against the rules and I'm perfectly happy to run it in the PbP forum. Simon, or anyone, please advise on this subject.

Other than that, I hope to get things rolling by no later than Friday.

urbwar
07-12-2012, 06:54 AM
Sorry urbwar, I missed your question from your earlier post. Yes, we'll be sticking to 20D characters to start. Of course, as we progress, more dice will be earned to spend on characters.

No problem Toric. Thanks for answering. I might tweak Glare just a little, as I wanted to give him at least 1D in Life Support (which I somehow forgot in the build posted above). I might lower either his flight or light control by 1D to fit that in.

Also, I am going to a concert on Friday, so I likely won't be able to do anything in character until Saturday. I know that won't likely be a problem, but I figured I'd should just let you know

Dragonfly
07-12-2012, 07:06 AM
This sounds GREAT! I'll use Andromeda. I'll tweak her a bit before Saturday, if I get the chance. At the very least, I have 1D to spend. Also, let me know the campaign city, and I'll change that in her origin. It's gonna be sweet to be at the gaming table with you guys - even if it's a virtual gaming table. :-)

Best,

Dragonfly

Toric
07-13-2012, 07:45 AM
My question from a couple of posts ago still stands. Should the game be conducted in the Play By Post forum or in the Beyond Belief Games forum? I'm assuming the former but if Simon or someone would weigh in, that would be great. Just waiting for this answer before getting the game going.

Dustland
07-13-2012, 09:39 AM
Here is perfectly fine with me!

Dragonfly
07-13-2012, 10:48 AM
Oh - yes. I forgot to say that. Here is perfectly fine for me too. Maybe two new threads are in order? One for actual play and one for out-of-character questions? Keep in mind that I've never run one of these things, so I actually have NO IDEA what I'm talking about. Just thinking out loud. :-)

Dustland
07-13-2012, 01:20 PM
Having an OOC thread is very useful. When a question comes up and it takes numerous responses to get to an answer, it totally jacks up the in-game thread.

Also breaking up the threads into "chapters" works well so you don't have to dig through dozens of pages to find information and makes it easier for casual observers to browse through. Just my opinion though.

Toric
07-13-2012, 09:03 PM
Yep, I fully intended an in-character thread and an OOC thread. Just wanted to make sure where to actually start them. I'll start them here and if Simon wants them moved, we can do that too.

Dragonfly
07-14-2012, 12:58 PM
Sounds good! Can't wait! In the meantime, here is Andromeda - tweaked as promised. All I did is spend 1D on an additional die of Super Strength. I changed the notation on the Device complication on her "sabre." Before I had it listed as part of her combat armor. It's not - it's a separate, hand-held multi-weapon that projects hard-light constructs or blasts. She can use it as a blaster, a sabre, a whip, a sword, an energy staff, or even a flyer (hence the flight - think of the flyers and cycles in Tron, which projected from a hand-held device).

I still don't like "sabre" as a descriptor for her weapon, but multi-weapon sounds too ... technical. It needs something better.

Finally, I edited Pacifica out of her origin. That's the name of the city in the campaign she was originally made for. It never got off the ground. For now, I left her police contact as Layla Brown. Again - an NPC for the original campaign setting. I can change this, Toric, if you need me too, or you can run with Layla and make her your own. She was nothing more than a name before, as the campaign basically never got played.

Anyway, here she is again:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8428/7569179476_e7064e1cab_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/45079249@N06/7569179476/)
Pacifica-Andromeda (http://www.flickr.com/photos/45079249@N06/7569179476/) by Eletarmion (http://www.flickr.com/people/45079249@N06/), on Flickr

Toric
07-16-2012, 08:34 PM
Sorry for the delay in getting this game going. The weekend got away from me. I will have it started very soon. Likely tonight or tomorrow. Stay tuned!

Mr Nay
07-19-2012, 03:01 AM
I don't suppose there is room for one more?

Toric
07-19-2012, 03:21 AM
I don't suppose there is room for one more?

Sure there is. Work up a character that complements the other four and you're in. Keep in mind that the game will have a Silver/Bronze Age tone.

Everyone - My Internet is down at home (posting this from my phone). As soon as the problem gets corrected, I'll get the game started. Just wanted you all to know I haven't abandoned you. Hopefully this problem will be fixed quickly.

Simon W
07-19-2012, 03:57 AM
Yep, I fully intended an in-character thread and an OOC thread. Just wanted to make sure where to actually start them. I'll start them here and if Simon wants them moved, we can do that too.

There's no reason I can think of not to do it here. However, it could be better to do the IC and OOC in the actual play area. That way, more casual observers might spot it and become aware of the existence of SUPERS!

I leave it to you.

Mr Nay
07-19-2012, 06:29 AM
Type: Masked Vigilante
Costume: Black and grey with a bird-like cowl over the head.

Resistances (6D)
Composure: 2D
Fortitude: 3D
Reaction: 3D
Will: 2D

Aptitudes (9D)
Athleticism 3D
Fighting 3D
Intrusion 3D
Investigation 3D
Streetwise 2D

Ads & Disads
Enemy: The Savant

Powers (6D)
Insubstantiality 4D
Flight 4D -Complication: Only while insubstantial.
-Complication: Glide only.

Competency Pool: 0

Origin
Sid loved his job, he worked security at Novatech, an R&D subsidiary of Palond Industries.
Nothing ever happened, and between rounds he could read and write his novel.

A supervillain called the Savant ruined everything.
While Sid was on patrol the Savant broke in to get a component for a super weapon, a shoot out ensured and Sid was bathed in exotic radiation.
Though he was knocked unconscious Sid managed to foil the Savant's robbery.

Unfortunately for Sid his powers manifested in front of Aunt Martha. Expecting him to join the growing ranks of masked crime fighters she made him a costume and codename.

Not wanting to let her down, he patrols the city by night fighting crime, which is getting harder as his promotion to head of security really chews up a lot of time, but he always makes time to disrupt the Savant's schemes- payback's a *****.
Besides, he is beginning to enjoy his new role as the Nighthawk.

Dragonfly
07-19-2012, 04:17 PM
Hey Mr. Nay!

Good to have you aboard! :-)

Best,

Dragonfly

Dustland
07-19-2012, 07:08 PM
Sweet! Good to have you aboard Mr Nay.

So we have Nighthawk, The Worm, Andromeda, and Dragster. It's funny, I've played in or ran three different supers games on pbp and no one ever goes the telepathy route which is probably the power I'd personally want in real life...except around my wife :)

Dragonfly
07-19-2012, 07:18 PM
Don't forget Glare! We've got a five person team. That's a nice number. Good point about Telepathy! I don't think I've ever made a Telepath as my primary character in a supers game, though I play many a in sci-fi and some in fantasy genres.

Cheers!

Dragonfly

Xhaosdaemon
07-19-2012, 07:21 PM
Not even sure if you have the room but I have a character I barely got to play in a PbP on rpol.net before the game died out. I wrote him up based on a V&V character that I likewise never got to play. Anyhow, here he is, presented for your benefit:

Pyrebird (Male, Age 22 <over 4000>, 5'11" tall, Egyptian)

Comp: 3D
Fort: 2D
Reac: 3D
Will: 3D

Aptitudes: Academia 3D
Technology 3D
(all others not listed at 1D)

Powers: Elemental Control 4D (Fire)
Elemental Form 3D (Fire) <Includes bonus die from Elemental Control>
Super Brain 3D
Wizardry 3D (Psionic; often uses Armor or Flight)

Ads/Disads: Longevity (Ad)
Mute (Disad)
Outsider (Other time, Disad)

Background: Although he appears to be about 22 years of age Pyrebird is actually over 4000 years old. Born in ancient Egypt during the age of the pharaohs he and some others were taken by priests of Ra to a hidden temple deep in the mountains. It was there that he was to meet Ra, god of the sun. Unbeknownst to the Egyptians Ra was not a god but an alien being of vast intellect and technology. Ra had taken it into his mind to experiment on humans to see if he could improve them beyond the average person. Using his vast knowledge and technology he worked to alter the minds and genetic make-up of those he worked on, most of whom died horrific deaths as the experiments went awry.

Pyrebird was one of only a small handful of survivors and Ra's experiments left their mark upon his mind, body, and spirit. He was reborn as Ramesses, literally the son of Ra. His mind and body were augmented beyond the ken of mortals and strange powers were unlocked within him as a result. He had powers to manipulate fire and heat as well as the ability to use his mind to manifest alterations of reality (some might call it magic). His intellect and his reflexes were significantly increased as well. Ra was pleased with his creation.

Ra had technology that allowed him to look into the future and he saw the possible havoc that will be wrought by man against man. Wishing to preserve the planet as a place for his experiments he decided to place Ramesses into stasis, to await the time in the future when he is needed. Not wanting his son to speak in the tongue of mortals he removed his voicebox, teaching him to communicate via the flames he can generate and control. Ramesses was placed in a special sarcophagus and put into stasis. He was connected to advanced technological marvels that would allow him to view and learn from all the world as millenia passed. Ramesses was also tied into a collective subconscious, an Akashic library in another dimension that contained all knowledge past, present, and future of mankind. He was sealed into a pyramid deep in the mountains.

Ramesses's physical body slept for millenia while his mind wandered the world taking in knowledge both of the world and of humanity. Finally, some 4000 years in the future from when he was entombed some archaeologists found Ra's hidden temple in the mountains of Egypt. The pyramind was also found and they broke into it as so many others over the years. They found the wondrous sarcophagus but unfortunately the advanced alien technology was smashed beyond repair. Rising from the ruins of the sarcophagus Ramesses finally rejoined humanity. Invoking wings of flame he flew from the ruins and into the world of the future.

Ramesses made his way to America as it seemed that would be the best place for him to not only blend in with others but to be a place from which he would decide how to use his gifts. He took for himself a human name and guise for his alter ego, and also gave himself a new name; Pyrebird. Eventually he decided to use his gifts to try and alleviate at least some of the strife and suffering perpetuated by man upon his fellow man. The time of Pyrebird had arrived...

(Yes, he *is* mute but he uses his Elemental Control to write words in fire in the air)

Dustland
07-19-2012, 07:58 PM
My bad DF!!! and Glare :) and now Pyrebird?

Think you might be a bit over the 20d total though Xhaos: 7d (Resistances) + 4d (Aptitudes) + 14d (powers) -1d (net Ads/Disads) = 24d

Keep in mind the first 1d of Wizardry is 1d, then each additional die is 2d so 5d cost for 3d Wizardry.

And I'm not even sure how many people Toric wants to manage, but cool character! And dude, the fire writing bit is awesome!

Xhaosdaemon
07-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Actually the Academia and Technology come from Super Brain.....for each die in Super Brain you get a die in both Academia and Technology. :)

Mr Nay
07-19-2012, 08:08 PM
I was going to go the telepathy mindcontroller route, no kidding.
But was afraid I would stray too far into the 90s iron age antihero zone if I did.

Dustland
07-19-2012, 08:26 PM
Actually the Academia and Technology come from Super Brain.....for each die in Super Brain you get a die in both Academia and Technology.

I'm always afraid to point out a rules point because I'm often wrong :) My bad and thanks for not going all nerd rage on me!

Dustland
07-25-2012, 08:20 AM
Heya Toric! Any word on the game? If it's not going to happen, that's fine, I'd just like to know one way or another. If the game's off I might be willing to run a pbp here since there seems to be a fair amount of interest, but I'd like to hear from Toric first.

Toric
07-27-2012, 12:28 AM
Sadly I must bow out as the GM of this game. I'd really like to run it but don't believe I can make the time commitment to do so at this time for a variety of reasons. Since there is a ready-made group here already, that would be truly awesome if you could run the game for them, Dustland. SUPERS! Is an excellent game and perhaps in the future I'll have time to run a PbP game of it. Sorry for the delay in posting this but as mentioned a bit earlier, I was having Internet connection issues. Good luck with the game!

Mr Nay
07-27-2012, 12:42 AM
Ah well thanks for getting us all together toric.
Damn now I want to play a telepath/psychic, is that cool if I do that?
(Or a Venom knock off, my avatar is pretty neat.)

Dragonfly
07-27-2012, 09:27 AM
Hey Toric,

I'm sorry to hear we won't be doing this, but I understand. Let us know if you change your mind at any point.

I'd offer to give it a go myself, but I'm a high school teacher who is about two weeks away from starting the school year. This time around I'll be teaching two courses that I've never taught before, AND I'll be teaching a night course at a local university. In short, I'm going to be VERY busy. Still, maybe once things settle into a groove...

If you all PM me some personal email addresses, I promise to personally contact you if things get off the ground again in some form or fashion. (That includes you too, Toric!) If you check here regularly, then I don't need a personal address, as I'll just post an announcement here.

Needless to say, if Dustland (or someone) else wants to pick up the banner and lead the current assemblage into a PbP, I am more than willing!

Cheers!

Dragonfly

Dustland
07-27-2012, 11:38 AM
No worries Toric, life happens.

Give me a couple of days guys and let me think about what I'd like to run and see if you're all still interested.

Mr Nay, I'm sure I can accommodate a psychic in the game!

Xhaosdaemon
07-27-2012, 06:15 PM
That would be awesome if you were able to put something together, Dustland. I would definitely be interested, really want to take Pyrebird out for a test-drive even though he was originally created for V&V. At any rate I learn a system best by playing it so I am on-board if you will have me. :)

Dragonfly
07-27-2012, 06:25 PM
Coolness, Dustland! I'm onboard, whatever you want to do!

Cheers!

Dragonfly

Mr Nay
07-29-2012, 03:30 AM
Cool! Prepare to be mesmerized :biggrin:

Dustland
07-30-2012, 09:29 PM
Ok, gave it some thought and I'm up to the task. Here's what I have to offer!

1) I'll post 2-3 times a week. I do have a baby on the way, due end of Sept, so that will put a major hitch in the plan, but I'll give you guys notice and will return asap.
2) The game will be short; really it's three scenes plus whatever you guys do in the down time (there won't be much). Pbp tend to go slowly so 3 scenes is really a pretty good stretch.
3) I'm not perfect so don't nerd-rage on me if I goof on a rule or somehow offend you. Voice your concern civily and we'll all be cool. I just want to have fun and that should be everyone's goal!

A brief setup: The characters are members of Liberty Force, Liberty City's super squad attached to the conventional police dept (therefore you will have to conduct yourself in a manner befitting a law enforcement officer! fyi, mind-reading is not permissable as evidence...) Liberty Force is, for all intents and purposes, a super-powered SWAT team, brought together to deal with those things the regular police just aren't up to handling.

The game will start with the characters trying to get to an informant and bring him in safely. The ultimate goal is to unmask and bring down an unknown super-villain who's begun smashing his way to the top of the underworld hierarchy. If you're up to the challenge, sound off and let's get to work. Game starts this Sunday!

Xhaosdaemon
07-30-2012, 10:18 PM
Pyrebird signals his readiness by conjuring a hand made of fire giving the "thumbs up" sign. :)

Mr Nay
07-31-2012, 04:34 AM
Very cool, my baby is due early september so I understand.

Dustland
07-31-2012, 06:13 AM
Awesome! Sept is apparently a busy month for the baby business (everyone had fun around New Years and Christmas :))

Dragonfly
07-31-2012, 07:32 PM
Andromeda, reporting for duty!

And congrats, guys, on the babies! Mine are 9 and 6 right now. Seems like I was in your shoes just yesterday!

Cheers!

Dragonfly

Mr Nay
08-11-2012, 08:55 PM
Sorry guys I dropped the ball on this one, I didnt even realize you had already started the game.
I will use my psychic next time.

Dragonfly
08-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Oh man! Sorry, Mr. Nay. Maybe Dustland can still accomodate you? If not, stay tuned to this channel for the next one.

Cheers!

Dragonfly

Mr Nay
08-13-2012, 06:04 AM
It is my fault I received a new game in the mail and went all "kid in a candy store" and got side tracked. I will lurk a bit and see how it goes, have fun!
(Btw, I ordered Barbarians of Lemuria because it looks awesome.)

Dustland
08-13-2012, 06:20 AM
Hey Mr Nay! Sorry, I didn't hear from you so I figured you'd lost interest. We'll see how this pbp goes; if everyone has fun I may run a second one later (which may not be too far in the future, the guys are really moving this one along quickly!)

Mr Nay
08-13-2012, 08:58 AM
That sounds cool, thanks Dustland.

urbwar
08-13-2012, 09:07 AM
I'm actually enjoying this one Dustland. All the other pbp games I've tried before were kind of slow. Yours got right to the action quickly, which I really liked