PDA

View Full Version : The World's Largest Dungeon

Shannon Sullivan
06-23-2012, 07:20 AM
I have 4 confirmed players. I need 6 players dedicated to the completion of a 1st to 20th level adventure.

I intend to run the infamous "The World's Largest Dungeon." This campaign as aforementioned is designed to take characters from 1st all the way up to and perhaps beyond 20th level. There are representatives of every creature type from the SRD.

Be advised, I have attemted this a couple of times in the past. I know what I am talking about when I say that TEAMWORK and EXPERIENCE are key to survival for any length of time in the campaign.

A little information about the dungeon. TWLD is in fact a prison. With that in mind, it wouldn't be very effective if one could just teleport out of it, now would it? Therefor all sorts of motion-based spells and abilities will be less effective, if they work at all. The same holds true for summoning-type spells and abilities.

Due to the size of the dungeon, the party can expect to spend at least 2 game years inside. The group will not be expected to kill everything they come across. Certain skills may come in more handy than you may think. Thus the following list may be well considered:

Balance, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Disable Device, Handle Animal, Heal, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Languages, Listen, Move Silently, Open Locks, Search, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot, Survival, Swim, Tumble, Use Magic Device, and Use Rope

The following skills will have little to no use:
Disguise, Forgery, Gather Information, Perform, Profession, Ride, and Sleight of Hand. Also Bardic Knowledge is going to be of little use.

In the words of TWLD, in this campaign "Wizards get HOSED." As a Wizard gets spells in their spellbook based on studies and research, it is difficult to justify spells just appearing in their spellbook as they advance in levels. Thus if you are thinking of playing a spellcaster, it would be wise to choose one that does not require a spellbook (this is not required, but you have been warned.) There are scrolls and such scattered around the dungeon, but that means that a wizards spellbook would be wholly determined by what is discovered in the dungeon. If you are still considering a wizard, there is one other option I may consider based on your experience in the game.

Those of you intending to play characters with natural spells in mind (those that affect plants and plant-life) be advised again, this is a dungeon, and you may find your spells restricted due to lack of such life.

I will not be banning any of the basic character classes. I am not very experienced myself when it comes to psionics. Thus, unfortunately, I will be banning all psionic classes. Any other classes must be run by me for final authorization.

I believe that the very first day of the campaign will primarily be for character generation. I am going to be unusual in this aspect and allow each player to work their skills, languages, class choices, etc around the entire party and the needs of the group. What good will it do to have 3 people who speak draconic in a group of 6 when you are forewarned that you will be encountering all types of creatures?

Those of you who are interested in joining the game, please e-mail me. Be advised, that while my 2 boys (ages 12 and 14) are away for the summer, they will likely be joining in the campaign when they return. They have little experience in the game, but do enjoy playing. So, if you can't handle this aspect, feel free to re-think your desire to join the campaign.

Current players are:
Mike Panek
Brett Hartshorn
John Buckley
Johnathan Misner

If you recognize any of the aforementioned names and cannot play with them, again, feel free to re-think your desire to join the campaign.

I expect to be running this campaign every fourth Sunday from about 1 to 7pm. I cannot stress enough that teamwork will be required for the group to survive. That not only means in character but also without. With that in mind, I don't want to hear people wanting to play "the crazy alignment". I don't want to force alignments. I would hope that each character has one half of their alignment to the positive - Lawful and/or Good.

I look forward to your responses.

Sully