PDA

View Full Version : New gaming related business idea... opinions please!

Gloin
06-16-2012, 06:07 PM
Hey everyone, looking for an opinion... here's the idea:

A centrally located gaming place with enough room for about 4 tables (6-8 people).
Books supplied.
D&D style minis provided.
Dice provided.
Terrain provided.
Maps provided.
Some adventures/games available.
DM's provided as needed.
Players provided to round out groups if needed.
Service to match players to groups.
Referees provided for tournaments. (Warhammer, 40k, Magic, etc...)
DCI/RPGA/... registered DM's, Referees, etc...

Would you come to play?
Would you pay to play?
Per hour? Per session? Per month?
What about DMing? Would you pay for that?

What are things we should add to the list of things provided?
What about video game systems?

Initially we are just thinking evenings and weekends.

Thoughts, ideas, theories... please, pour in on this!

Malruhn
06-17-2012, 04:11 PM
Personally, no, I wouldn't bother with it.

The HUGE majority of gamers develop attachments to their dice, being more superstitious than sports figures in their treatment and methods of storage and use.
I want to be able to make marks and bend the corners of my own books.
Providing DM's would be HUGELY cost prohibitive! DM "A" runs a good hack and slash campaign, but I wanna play a 90% RP campaign. How many would you have on staff? DM "B" runs large groups (7+) great, but sucks at small groups... and I wanna run a solo campaign.

Unfortunately, I can't imagine a way to make this cost effective. The outlay of money to purchase every possible splat book for FIVE(!!!) editions of D&D would be worthy of William F. Buckley's or Mark Zuckerberg's wallet!! And then you'd have to have MULTIPLE copies of each book!

I love what you are TRYING to do, but I think you are trying to create something that could never be done properly (using a NORMAL person's money).

Sorry.

peewee_RotA
06-19-2012, 12:38 PM
I think it'd make an excellent hobby, similar to running LAN parties for a small profit. But I don't see it ever paying the bills.

If you can, through trial and error, get this thing making money on weekends then I think it'd be a great idea in every major area.

If I were to pay for something like that, I'd probably only attend larger events with a flat cover charge.

Ampolitor
06-26-2012, 08:56 AM
If you were going to try this, I'd start off with a tournament to see what kind of crowd you would get, most gamers are pretty particular about their gaming style, and I don't see many paying for a DM, but I could be wrong. As for the Idea I love it, but in reality video games have put a huge dent in our gaming industry so the target audience is a lot smaller now.