PDA

View Full Version : online D&D 4e: paragon level: assault on nightwyrm fortress

yukonhorror
06-15-2012, 07:51 AM
As most of my games have... faltered, I guess I'll resort to something I usually never have issues recruiting for. I want to run the paragon level adventure, assault on nightwyrm fortress. It is a pretty fun adventure. You journey into the shadowfell to plead with the raven queen herself.

We'll play every other week either saturdays or sundays. It will be online with maptools. If unfamiliar with maptools, no worries. I'll get you good and learned.

I have thought about doing a "group theme". If so, I'd be willing to give a bonus of sorts.

Bonus depends on theme. Some examples

Barbarian horde: either base class is barbarian (with or without multiclassing to another class), berserker (from heroes of the feywild), or hybrid classed with barbarian. (my personal fave) Bonus feat would be either the multiclass feat, hybrid option feat, OR a barbarian specific

Race: all same race, bonus racial feat

Power source: depends upon what power source

Role: no hybrids in this one. All classes stem from same role. So all defenders or all strikers. Because of the high restriction, I would give two bonus feats taken from the following: toughness, durability, weapon/implement expertise/focus, iron will, great fortitude, lightning reflexes, paragon defenses, or armor expertise (based on armor type).

If you don't want to do a theme, that's fine, just no bonus feat.

I will impose some house rules to attempt an acceleration of combat. Mainly it will be on my side as a DM.

I think that's all the info you need. I will accept as little as 3 players, 6 at most. reply if interested to keep thread updated and recruit quicker (PM me email address though).

Emerald_wind
06-16-2012, 12:43 AM
It sounds interesting, For me it would depend on which weekends as I work every other weekend. I like the idea of a theme, though I would prefer not to use the all one role. This has some serious limits. Otherwise I'm game to try.

Kevin Burns
06-16-2012, 01:40 AM
I'm game as well!

Fortis
06-16-2012, 03:51 PM
Of all the options provided, the 'same power source' theme strikes me as the most workable and interesting. It still allows for variety in race and role, and some in class. It'd be fun to play a task force of the temple or a group of heroes from the wilderness I think.

Edit: Also, same race would be good as well, in my opinion.

yukonhorror
06-18-2012, 07:41 AM
we won't by skyping (no camera/microphone on my computer). Just maptools.

All interested, please PM me your email so I can have an email list.

As for "weekends" We would be playing NEXT week (30th).

Ciel
06-18-2012, 08:17 AM
I would be interested in joining this game.

I would like to request being able to meet with the other players in a chat room of some sort; perhaps this website's chat, or perhaps an IRC channel. That would allow for more convenient and efficient communication and coordination, which will be necessary for a themed party.

Additionally, might I inquire regarding whether "biweekly" means "twice a week," or "once every two weeks"?

yukonhorror
06-18-2012, 09:30 AM
for race, I would suggest something like genasi, where the racial powers are very varied. Just not human. The bonus feat would be a racial feat.

With role, I also forgot to mention, abilities would be bought with 24 (versus 22) pts. Not a ton, but those extra 2 do make a difference.

Power sources:

Arcane - arcane familiar feat
Divine - a domain feat (would require all players to have same diety though)
Primal - a tribal feat (the same for all)
Psionic - augment feat (any)
Shadow - something from heroes of shadow (but shared amongst all players)
Martial - combat style feat

Fortis
06-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Email sent. And I'd be fine with meeting on the IRC. I'm still a bit too new to use the website's chat, but in a day or so I'll be able to. Anyway, what theme is everyone leaning towards. My initial thought was all primal based power source, but what does everyone else want?

Biweekly means once every two weeks, FYI.

yukonhorror
06-18-2012, 12:39 PM
I can't do any more frequently, sorry.

But this is 4 people, which works for me. So decide on a theme (if any) and start making characters. Depending on the theme, there are some creation restrictions. In general (however), as long as it is published through WOTC, I am fine with it. the characters should be level 17. As for equipment, you get one 16th level magic item, one 17th level one, an 18th level one and 45,000 gp to spend on whatever else.

If you go for a divine theme, I'd suggest raven queen or pelor as the common diety.

The only theme thrown out there was primal.

This means the following classes (sources attached):

PH2: barbarian (STK), druid (CON), shaman (LED), warden (DEF)
PH3: seeker (CON)
HFK: sentinel (LED), Hunter (CON), scout (STK) {I am a bit iffy on the last two, but we'll see}
HFW: berserker (DEF/STK), Protector (CON)

ultra_dude
06-18-2012, 10:30 PM
I'd be interested in playing, any chance you could play on a friday night??

Emerald_wind
06-18-2012, 11:20 PM
Email sent.

If its down to votes for theme, I am in favour of: Divine, Racial, Primal - in that order. I prefer to play a leader or a striker, but pretty much will fill in any holes in the group.

Fortis
06-19-2012, 01:14 AM
Lets see here... for divine power source we've got

Avenger (striker)
Cleric (leader)
Invoker (controller)
Paladin (defender)
Runepriest (leader)
Cavalier (defender)
Warpriest (leader)

A good range to pick from. I'd say Divine would be a very close second choice for me, after primal. I can happily go with either. I probably should mention though, that to date, I've never played a character as high as level 17. I might hit a few snags in making a character that high a level, but I don't think it'll be too troublesome. As far as roles go, I'd prefer to play a defender or striker.

yukonhorror
06-19-2012, 07:23 AM
I'd be interested in playing, any chance you could play on a friday night??

its POSSIBLE, but that would make for a late game. I'll let you know

ultra_dude
06-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Friday nights in the US = saturday afternoon here, i've been trying to get into a game since january but they all keep failing before they even start. It's weak. Lemme know how it goes.

yukonhorror
06-19-2012, 12:27 PM
while we are listing things, I might as well list what I was thinking for my barbarian horde

Defenders: Warden or fighter (either hybrid or via multiclass) and berserker
Leader: runepriest or warlord (either hybrid or via multiclass)
Striker: pure barbarian, monk, sorcerer, rogue, ranger
Controller: Seeker (multiclass)

yukonhorror
06-19-2012, 02:37 PM
I think emerald wind has a commitment on the 30th. However, if he/she can do the 29th, we can TRY a friday game. The two reasons I don't do Friday games normally: a) I do work and don't usually get home (even ON a friday) till at least 5:30. b) I am on EST, so that most other Americans can't do it (too early for them).

According to my estimates, Melbourne is 14 hrs ahead. MEANING, if we played at 6 PM my time, it would be 8 am for him. That seems reasonable to me. Does 6 PM EST for the others on a Friday work? Also, some more emails would be nice for those who don't check this site as often. In any case, I will be playing my other game this saturday at 6-11 pmish. I'll be in the chat room if you guys want to organize stuff then (with input from me). However, I think I have all of my little stipulations already in place.

Fortis
06-19-2012, 02:55 PM
That time works for me.

Emerald_wind
06-19-2012, 10:15 PM
I would think Druid would be a good choice for the Barbarian Horde...

Emerald_wind
06-19-2012, 10:22 PM
Friday night doesn't work for me, You would be done, packed up and gone to bed before I get done work! However, if you all get a game going, don't hold up just for me. I have a nutsoid work schedule, and summer is often hectic. If I miss this round, I'll catch another game next round.

yukonhorror
06-20-2012, 07:17 AM
I can ALWAYS adjust encounters. Maybe we stumble across you in the midst.

As for druid, it COULD, but you would need to pump at least a 13 into STR.

In any case, I still need some emails from folks. I will send out a ballot. In this ballot you will rank each theme alongside what race/class specifics you want. I.e. if we did do divine, you want to be a elvish avenger of pelor.

Emerald_wind
06-20-2012, 07:25 AM
Sorry, still not getting how a Shaman or Druid don't fit a Barbarian Horde and a Monk does.

yukonhorror
06-20-2012, 09:33 AM
with the barbarian horde, the stipulation would be you either multiclass with barbarian, hybrid with barbarian, or have barbarian/berserker as your main class (to fit the theme). And because that might seem more restrictive, I may allow two feats for that (both multiclass/hybrid feats).

Shaman and druid both use Wis as their main score and neither use STR as a secondary score. Thematically, they'd fit, but mechanically, they would not be very effective.

The monk which uses STR as a secondary score would fit because you'd go more for the 2-weapon barbarian build (with the two weapons being your fists). Think of him as a raging brawler. Mechanically he fits, and if you focus more on the brawling rather then the zen-like picture typically associated with monk, then thematically it can work too.

Druid/shaman would work with the primal theme, but that theme is less restrictive. As such, I am thinking with barbarian horde:

two bonus feats - for multiclassing (two multiclass feats), for hybrids (two hybrid option feats). For pure barbarian/berserker (two barbarian feats)

ultra_dude
06-21-2012, 03:47 AM
How about a dex based monk/ranger?? Melee and range all dex based all awesome.

ultra_dude
06-21-2012, 03:53 AM
6pm for you guys works for me, i'm free pretty much all day most saturdays. I'd prefer to start later, but I'd much more prefer to play than anything else.

Ciel
06-21-2012, 07:31 AM
All considered, I feel that I should drop out of this game. To be perfectly blunt, the organization of this game is unsatisfying, and it does not strike me as "worth it" for a game that is to occur only once every two weeks.

I offer my sincerest apologies.

Emerald_wind
06-21-2012, 09:00 AM
To make it easier for the rest of you to plan game times, take me out of the equation. My schedule this summer is pretty restrictive. If you can come up with a game time/day everyone is happy with, great. If I can't make it I'll pass for the time being, if I can then better, and I will join you. So saying, I hope I can make it.

yukonhorror
06-21-2012, 09:59 AM
well I guess that means no game for now, why do I try??

Fortis
06-21-2012, 03:09 PM
No need to get discouraged, we can find more players. I know one or two who might want to join.

ultra_dude
06-22-2012, 05:20 AM
I know what you mean dude, like I said previously, I've been trying to get into a game since january and this is what keeps happening, its soo weak. Let me know if you DO get a game going, i really wanna play some DnD.

yukonhorror
06-22-2012, 07:59 AM
independent of the theme (and yet not), I have had an idea for gestahlt characters (sort of like the elite version of a character) so that you would only need 2 or 3 characters. But it does require a bit of work in character building.

yukonhorror
06-22-2012, 08:04 AM
also, based on the responses, divine is the winner for the theme. Somebody expressed interest in leader (cleric, warpriest, or runepriest), somebody in a half-orc paladin, and somebody in avenger/paladin. I would make a character along those lines then (based on your emails to me).

ultra_dude
06-24-2012, 03:22 AM
So is this game still on or what?

yukonhorror
06-25-2012, 08:40 AM
for now, no, but that depends on fortis's friends. I would like characters though.

yukonhorror
06-25-2012, 02:26 PM
so I posted in another thread and found some takers. sent out an email to you all. I think I have enough players, so any newbies will be put on a waiting list.

Fortis
06-25-2012, 04:42 PM
Well, I've been giving it some thought, and I think I'm going to bow out. My friend didn't feel like joining, and I don't think I can manage a six hour time block. Sorry to bail out on you, and I wish you luck in your game.