PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find some Supers! Actual play , podcast or report ? :)

Volsung
06-13-2012, 05:41 AM
Howdy true believers :)
The title is quite explicit!
Where can I find some Supers! Actual play , podcast or report ?

Pretty please ;)

Simon W
06-14-2012, 12:58 AM
The only "podcast" I have found is the youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6kxnomL1s4) review by Grubman.

Any mention of superhero rpgs I've heard on podcasts always mention the "usual supects" (Champions, M&M, Marvel Super Heroes, V&V, Bash, Icons Smallville etc) but Supers! never gats a look in. I'm not bitter or anything...:p

Volsung
06-14-2012, 03:34 AM
Grubman's review is inescapable :)

Any mention of superhero rpgs I've heard on podcasts always mention the "usual supects" (Champions, M&M, Marvel Super Heroes, V&V, Bash, Icons Smallville etc) but Supers! never gats a look in. I'm not bitter or anything...:p

Then, I guess we all know what we need to do!

Volsung
06-14-2012, 05:23 AM
Sorry for the double post.
By what about taking Dragonfly write up and run a one-shot Pbp Supers! game right here?

I'm already commited to a few pbp and about to move 600 miles to another city in a two weeks...
This makes me a bad candidate as a Gm or a Pc.
But with that much fans around I guess that'd be easy to start.

Dragonfly
06-15-2012, 11:44 AM
Sorry for the double post.
By what about taking Dragonfly write up and run a one-shot Pbp Supers! game right here?

I'm already commited to a few pbp and about to move 600 miles to another city in a two weeks...
This makes me a bad candidate as a Gm or a Pc.
But with that much fans around I guess that'd be easy to start.

Howdy folks!

I've been less vocal than usual recently because I'm feverishly working on my first rpg publication ever, and it's for SUPERS!

It's a modest little character book called The Freedom Ring, and will hopefully be out in the next month or so. Dustland is doing the art for it, and it's looking AWESOME! (The art, that is, I'll let other assess the actual product.)

Anyway, that has me a little tied-up in terms of running a PbP. I've also never run one, nor have I ever produced a podcast of any sort, so I don't know that I'm the best candidate. That being said, I'm willing to give it a shot sometime in July, if my schedule gets freed up a little.

Any thoughts on how we would go about this, IF we would go about this?

Best,

Dragonfly

Simon W
06-15-2012, 01:44 PM
I don't know because I've never run a pbp either but I might be prepared to join in with a game of SUPERS! if someones going to give it a go.

Volsung
06-16-2012, 04:30 PM
A game with Dragonfly and Mister W himself :D Sounds good^^

Oh, and Dragonfly you teamed up with good old Dustland? Nice :D

Golden Age Superhero
06-17-2012, 08:38 AM
Dragonfly will be running a supers game with us soon. Maybe he could record the results.

Volsung
06-17-2012, 12:55 PM
Dragonfly will be running a supers game with us soon. Maybe he could record the results.
:D Do it! I had good result by using a phone^^ (with enough memory and battery) and Audacity.

Dustland
06-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Volsung, howdy brother!

Are you wanting to see an actual play report to get a feel for the rules, or just for the joy of reading how a game went down?

Dragonfly
06-17-2012, 03:33 PM
I don't know because I've never run a pbp either but I might be prepared to join in with a game of SUPERS! if someones going to give it a go.

Holy Hannah!

GMing SUPERS! for a group that includes Simon? That would be both fantastically cool and incredibly intimidating all at once!

Not saying I won't do it, but again - I'll have to wait and see how my schedule looks for July.

Best,

Dragonfly

Dragonfly
06-17-2012, 03:37 PM
You beat me to it, Dustland. I was gonna ask the same thing.

Given how easy the SUPERS! rules are to pick up, it seems to me that a podcast best serves the game by giving it some exposure. Such a podcast might also be useful, however, to demonstrate how the narrative aspects of the game can be implemented.

Best,

Dragonfly

Dragonfly
06-17-2012, 03:39 PM
Howdy GASuperhero,

I might be willing to type up our sessions. I've done that in the past for other campaigns, but find that I have little time for such things these days. A PbP might be easier to do because I could cut-and-paste and edit all the action as it appears on the forum.

We'll see.

Best,

Dragonfly

Volsung
06-17-2012, 04:16 PM
Volsung, howdy brother!

Are you wanting to see an actual play report to get a feel for the rules, or just for the joy of reading how a game went down?
How do you do since that trip in Horizon city :D
I do want to grasp the feel of the rules. But I also enjoy Actual play report. And above all, I love Actual play podcasts! (Such as the walking eye , the Jank cast or the Gutter skypes) :)

Toric
06-26-2012, 05:15 PM
I'm a newcomer here after stumbling across the site while looking for info on the Supers! game. I think the game is great, and I love the rules light nature of the game system. That is the thing that I have always disliked about superhero roleplaying. Most of the rulesets are too complex. Supers! hits a nice sweet spot for me in that regard. It is rules light but robust enough to cover almost any super heroic situation. I am running this game for my kids.

I'd love to run Supers! as a PbP game for anyone who wants to play. I guess I need to set a limit of how many players I think I can safely handle, which I think would be about six. I do have experience running PbP games and yes they are much slower than face to face games but they do allow for some decent character and plot development that sometimes doesn't happen or gets overlooked in face to face games.

As I have only discovered this site this afternoon, I haven't given much thought to what sort of adventure that I would run or anything at this point. Theme and feel would probably be four-color, silver-age style super heroics. For setting, I would likely use Supersville or Coastal City from Bad Sports and expand it as we go along. Specific adventures would likely be based on the sorts of characters that are present in the game and would be developed at least somewhat on the situations the players would like to deal with.

If anyone here is definitely onboard and wants to give this a shot, please reply and let me know.

Dragonfly
06-29-2012, 08:28 PM
Hi Toric!

I would love to play in a PbP! I'd feel more comfortable as a player than as a GM because I've never done it before. Please let me know what time commitment you'd expect (posts per day, etc.) before I say yes - but I'll probably say yes! :-)

Best,

Dragonfly

Dustland
06-29-2012, 09:44 PM
I'd be interested too, Just as long as it's not a post every day sort of deal! Couple times a week and I'd be in.

Toric
06-30-2012, 02:09 AM
One post per day is a bit too ambitious for me. I'm comfortable with say around three posts per week, but I don't believe I've ever asked for a specific number of posts from each player. I will say that PbP is much slower than face to face gaming so if everyone can try to post roughly three times per week, that would keep the game moving at a fairly decent pace without being too much I think. In the interests of keeping a steady pace, I will simply ask that everyone try to post two or preferably three times per week and to let me know if you'll be away from the game for a short period of time so we know not to wait for you. I've seen several PbP games fizzle as posting dries up so keeping a steady pace is crucial. Again, three posts a week seems like a good goal but two posts some weeks and four posts other weeks would be perfectly fine.

As I mentioned earlier, I prefer good old-fashioned four-color super heroics. I'm a big fan of classic heroes and grew up reading mostly Marvel Comics. Captain America, Spider-man, Thor, Iron Man, Daredevil, and the Fantastic Four were my favorites. I love Stan Lee's and Jack Kirby's work back in the Silver Age. This is not to say that I would set the game back in the 1960's, just that I prefer that style. Modern day with Silver Age sensibilities or something like that. This also doesn't mean that you can't play a Punisher-type character. I'm okay with that as long as we can blend that style into the game and the group.

Supersville will likely be the setting, further developed as we move along. As I stated in my previous post, I'd prefer to have some player input on some ideas for potential challenges/adventures for their characters. I'd much rather develop a game and adventure around the characters than develop it beforehand and then shoehorn the characters into it. I do have a few ideas for some background material that perhaps the players can work into their character backgrounds and origins that I'll share soon.

20D characters to start as laid out in the SUPERS! rulebook. Any other questions, feel free to throw them at me!

Dragonfly
06-30-2012, 09:03 AM
Hey Toric!

Two (maybe three) posts per week sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I'm in! Our comic book sensibilities sound very similar, so I'm looking forward to this. I'll post a couple of characters be week's end, and let you tell me which one works best for what you have in mind.

Looking forward to it!

(I hope you're in, Dustland!) :)

BTW, Toric - I'll be releasing a supplement for SUPERS! - hopefully in a couple of weeks. It's called The Freedom Ring and features quite a bit of awe-inspiring art from Dustland himself. Given what you stated about your sensibilities, I think it'll be right up your alley. The cover alone should excite the classic comic book fan in you! :) (I'm mostly raving about Dustland's art when I post this. I'll let others decide on the worthiness of the written content.)

Best,

Dragonfly

Dustland
06-30-2012, 11:49 AM
Hey, I also did the art for Badsports :) Not my best work, but I've learned a lot since then!

As to the game, 2-3 posts per week and and Silver Age style sounds great to me! I'll post something this week too.

Dragonfly
07-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Hey, I also did the art for Badsports :) Not my best work, but I've learned a lot since then!

As to the game, 2-3 posts per week and and Silver Age style sounds great to me! I'll post something this week too.

Hey Dustland!

I like your art for Bad Sports! That's one of the reasons why I commissioned you for The Freedom Ring. My favorite in that book is Blindside. I've gotta say, though, you've kicked it up AT LEAST one notch!

Best,

Dragonfly

Dragonfly
07-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Hey Toric,

Here are two characters that I made for another campaign (in BASH!) but never got to play. Let me know if either of these work for the campaign you envision. If not, I'm happy to make more.

The first is a Daredevil / Question type:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8018/7483687490_c2913bbe66_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/45079249@N06/7483687490/)
Pacifica-Answer (http://www.flickr.com/photos/45079249@N06/7483687490/) by Eletarmion (http://www.flickr.com/people/45079249@N06/), on Flickr

The second is tricky. I originally made her as an homage to Wonder Woman, but she's a space alien rather than mythological. I've crammed her into 20D, but she should probably be a 30D character (or 25D) to pull of what she was originally intended to be. I don't mind player her at a lower power level, though. Here she is:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8028/7483687630_c36b348808_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/45079249@N06/7483687630/)
Pacifica-Andromeda (http://www.flickr.com/photos/45079249@N06/7483687630/) by Eletarmion (http://www.flickr.com/people/45079249@N06/), on Flickr

I need to rename her Silver Knight Sabre. It's really a multi-weapon. She can fire blasts from it, convert it into an energy sword, use it as an energy whip/swing line, and even convert it into a one man flyer - kinda like the bikes/flyers in Tron.

Let me know which you prefer. Again, I'm happy to make something else entirely.

Best,

Dragonfly

Dustland
07-01-2012, 09:05 PM
Question, is this forum capable of rolling dice?

Dragonfly
07-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Question, is this forum capable of rolling dice?

Yeppers! I don't remember how to do it, but I originally signed on so that I could run a PbP with some friends that never got off the ground.

Best,

Dragonfly

Dragonfly
07-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Here is a test:

Freedom Star's Shield Bash

Dragonfly
07-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Cool! It works!

The formula is: PARENTHESISroll=5d6CLOSE PARENTHESIS Statement of Action PARENTHESIS forward-slash roll CLOSE PARENTHESIS

Does that make sense?

Best,

Dragonfly

Toric
07-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Dragonfly, I've only skimmed your characters so far. I'll give them a closer look over the next day or so. My initial thought is that you could play whichever one interests you more. Also, would you be so kind as to send me the excel character sheet file you use to build your characters on? That would be awesome to be able to input my own.

Also, what do the two of you think about gathering more players? We could certainly play a game with just two characters but I think at least four and a maximum of six would be more ideal. Should I officially advertise here? Or maybe over at rpg.net? Or both? And are you guys good with running the game here or is there another location you prefer?

EDIT: My e-mail address for sending the excel sheet, if you are willing to do so, is toricarthendain at gmail dot com.

Dustland
07-02-2012, 06:27 PM
What, not going to play Freedom Star Dragonfly? You even have an awesome pic to go with him :)

I'm thinking I'll play a version of Jumping Jack, the sample character in the Supers rulebook (I'm simple that way). I'll post a character write up by Wed, have a lot of work to do until then.

Oh, and thanks for the dice roller code, I'll probably ask again!

Dustland
07-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Oh, as far as trying to get more players, advertising on rpg.net isn't a bad idea, nor is starting a new thread that indicates in the title that you're looking to start up a pbp. Unless people have been following this thread, they probably have no clue there's a game discussion going on.

I'd prefer to play here since I come by here frequently, though I'm ok with somewhere else if folks object.

Dragonfly
07-03-2012, 07:37 AM
Oh, as far as trying to get more players, advertising on rpg.net isn't a bad idea, nor is starting a new thread that indicates in the title that you're looking to start up a pbp. Unless people have been following this thread, they probably have no clue there's a game discussion going on.

I'd prefer to play here since I come by here frequently, though I'm ok with somewhere else if folks object.

Howdy folks!

Dustland: Don't think I didn't consider using Freedom Star! I'm STILL tempted! I just decided to keep him in-house until the release.

Toric: I went ahead and posted an announcement over in the old SUPERS! thread on rpg.net, but you might want to consider posting your own new thread announcing the PbP (maybe both here and at rpg.net). I'm cool with running the game here, but am open to something else. Oh, and I'll send you (and anybody else who wants one) a copy of the character sheet. Expect it in your inbox. :-)

As far as which character to use - I'm torn. Let me get a sense of how the rest of the groups shapes up, and I'll make my decision based on that. Right now I'm leaning towards The Answer, even though he's slightly more grim-and-gritty that I'm used to.

Best,

Dragonfly

urbwar
07-03-2012, 08:18 AM
I didn't realize there was talk of a pbp game in this thread! If you have room, I'd be willing to join in

Dustland
07-03-2012, 11:18 AM
Hey DF, email me the character sheet too por favor!

Toric
07-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Dragonfly, a couple of things about your characters. It looks like you've only spent 19D on Andromeda. 6D on Resistances, 7D on Aptitudes and 6D on Powers for a total of 19D. As for The Answer, he looks fine except for the Competency Dice of 2D. Wouldn't that make him a 22D character? Or perhaps I'm confused about how Competency Dice work? I thought you could set aside some dice during creation and put them into Competency, say like spending 18D on the character and using the extra 2D as Competency. If I'm misunderstanding that rule however, please be sure to correct me! Also DF, thanks for the assist with recruiting.

Welcome aboard, urbwar!

Dustland
07-03-2012, 04:18 PM
The Answer gets +2 CD for being "normal". You're right though, any unspent dice become CDs too.

Dragonfly
07-03-2012, 06:15 PM
The Answer gets +2 CD for being "normal". You're right though, any unspent dice become CDs too.

Yep! Dustland beat me to it. As for Andromeda - I guess I did the math wrong. I'll figure out what to do with the extra 1D and let you know.

Cool to have you aboard, urbwar!

Best,

Dragonfly

Dustland
07-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Well, I'll put this one a nifty character sheet when I get one, but here's my hero...

Worm "Unsquishable!"
Type: Reformed criminal
Resistances: Comp 2d Fort 3d Reac 2d Will 2d
(5d total)
Aptitudes: Intrusion 3d Streetwise 2d
(3d total)
Powers: Burrowing 1d, Immunity (Blunt force trauma) 3d, Regeneration 1d, Stretching (Boneless structure and tentacles) 4d, Super Senses (Tremor sense and Heightened Scent) 2d, Webs (tentacles) 3d
(14d total)
Ads: Hideout (cave deep beneath the earth), Is that your best shot?
Disads: Direputable (criminal history), Public ID, Ugly (seriously, he has tentacles), Weakness (Salt)
(net +2d)

Background:
Worm discovered early on that he was incredibly resilient. Unfortunately every neighborhood bully did too, so he spent the better part of two decades getting the snot beat out of him without the benefit of finally being knocked out. By the time he was ten he was known as Worm.

One day his body reacted to the abuse, fleshy tentacles bursting from his body, assaulting his tormentors and revealing his true potential! Soon thereafter he learned that he had no true skeleton and was able to project tentacles out of every inch of his body. It got to the point that his skin would ripple all the time as tentacles moved about just under the surface. Really quite a nauseating sight.

Unfortunately Worm couldn't find a productive outlet for his power and turned to petty theft to support and amuse himself, eventually landing in the super-slammer for attempting to burglarize a bank. Ten hard years later and he was out, and vowing to turn over a new leaf and make something of himself. Of course the public and police know exactly who he is and what he's done, so no one's quick to give him a second chance.

And who knows? Maybe it is just another scam...he is the Worm after all.

Dragonfly
07-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Well, I'll put this one a nifty character sheet when I get one, but here's my hero...

Hey Dustland!

I sent it a little while ago via your email.

Enjoy!

Dragonfly

Toric
07-05-2012, 02:58 AM

Ah, okay! Forgot about that! Thanks for the clarification.

Toric
07-05-2012, 02:59 AM
Your character looks good, Dustland!

Interested in seeing what urbwar comes up with now to add to the mix.

Toric
07-05-2012, 03:31 AM
I've posted a separate thread for recruiting for this game. Perhaps we should move character sheets and further discussion of the game there.