PDA

View Full Version : Counterattack

Simon W
05-15-2012, 01:03 AM
Over on RPGNet the idea of allowing counterattacks was suggested. Basicaly, I think the suggestion was that after any attack a super (not mooks or henchmen) could make an immediate counter attack. I quite like the idea, but I'm not so sure it should be a general combat option available all the time to everyone. At the very least, I'd say you can only counterattack if your defence succeeeded (i.e. you took no damage at all from the attack).

So, these options present themselves:

Making counter attack a power boost; so that if you have just defended with that particular power, you may immediately counter attack the guy that just attacked you (so long as you defended successfully) with the same power (or maybe a different power (or aptitude) that also has the counter attack boost).
Alternatively, if you want to make it a general combat option, I'd suggest that you can only use counter attack if you either haven't attacked in that round already and/or if you choose to forego your normal attack (after which you can counter attack as many times as you are attacked). And you only get to do it if you defend successfully (i.e. take no damage from the attack).
Which do you prefer? (For the record, I favour #1 but could be persuaded otherwise)

Dragonfly
05-15-2012, 08:32 PM
Hey Simon,

I found DarkPaladin's suggestion intriguing on rpg.net, and I plan to playtest it in a couple of weeks (when classes are over for me). I plan on running the same battle RAW, using DarkPaladin's house rule as he proposes it, and then again using your tweaks to his house rule. Until I do that, I won't know which I like best or why, but again - I do find it intriguing.

I'll definitely let you know what I think, when I'm thinking it. :)

Cheers,

Dragonfly

Dustland
05-15-2012, 08:47 PM
I like #1 too. #2 just looks a little too complicated for my tastes.

I was contemplating how to have a Damaging Aura power (like being able to surround one's self in an aura of fire) in the Supers! rules and I think this fits the bill pretty well: Armor + Counterattack. The question then becomes should Counterattack be purchased as a Dice Pool like Split Attack or Area Effect? Or should it be a flat 1D?

Simon W
05-16-2012, 01:02 AM
The more I think about it the more it makes sense to have it as a boost to attach to a power (possibly the fighting aptitude too). That's what I'd do with it if there was to be a Supers! Xtra. Which there isn't...

I think it should be a flat 1D. The only trouble with attaching it to Armour is that naturally the Armour power doesn't give you an attack. So you'd have to attach it to Armour and to some other attack power. That's not to bad though because you do get to defend several times using Armour, so it is both an advantage and disadvantage that you'd have to "buy" counterattack at least twice.

damiller
05-16-2012, 07:22 AM
I like the idea of counter attack, and it solves a problem I had when I ran an Avatar the Last Airbender game: martial arts.

The counter attack option would have totally fit the genre and made me feel like there was the attack counter attack thing that happened in the shows. The next time I play the game I am definitely going to use this concept.

Hmmm....maybe an Avatar the Last Airbender type Supers! supplement is in order?

d :D

novaexpress
05-18-2012, 11:25 AM
I know that it's closing the barn door after the horses have escaped, but I just saw the post.
I indeed would choose the 1st option, which is quite easier than the second one.

Andrew Collas
08-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Sorry to necro this, but yeah. So for me, this is a bit much as an always available thing, I would apply some sort of degree of success reward here, as in, if you beat the attack by 10 or double or whatever, it unlocks some fun options, including Counterattack.

But then I also feel not every attack should have knockback either. :)