PDA

View Full Version : Cheaters – Gamerstable Ep55

Jenerickat
05-01-2012, 06:20 AM
Show me someone who cheats at roleplaying games and I’ll show you… you know what, it may not be as uncommon as you might think. Be it fudging dice rolls or tweaking stats, cheating is something that every gamer has been exposed to. You’ve either done it or know someone who has. What do you do with someone you’ve caught with their hand in the cookie jar?

We talk about ways to cheat, the people we know who’ve done it and how some of us have done it.

Please click here (http://gamerstable.com/cheaters-ep55/) to listen to the episode.

Malruhn
05-02-2012, 09:27 PM
I remember cheating back when I first started - rearranging stats and such. After a couple of years of occasionally doing this, I realized that it was taking away from the actual gaming experience for me. I guess I started thinking like MacGuyver - you have X, Y and Z - and that's ALL you have... can you figure out how to make it work for you?

Since then, I have found several gamers in my groups that would cheat - rearranging stats and fudging dice rolls. This has led me to ask all new character sheets to be given to me so I can copy them so I have what the player started with... and can tell if they possibly cheated if evidence (or accusations arise) in the future. I also have all players roll on the table - and wait for the darned dice to stop rolling before they collect them up.

For the few that still want to cheat, I confront them and ask them to stop - and if they refuse, I ask them to leave the group. Over the decades, I have had TWO people "convert" and ask to come back - and have admitted that playing without cheating was liberating and that they liked the game more. Two of about a dozen that have been kicked out of groups.

This has NOTHING to do with DM fiat - I use that ALL the time and fully accept that all DM's will do it.

I will also venture that EVERYONE has done it at least once. Switch that 13 INT for the 14 WIS... or claiming one too many hit points in the midst of battle. Yup - just like masturbation... you've either done it, or you lie about it.

By the way, Jenerickat - NICE episode!! I will, however, disagree with the use of public humiliation - except in rare cases (as in: last resort).

templeorder
05-06-2012, 12:07 PM
I have a "gaming contract" with my players - we all agree to use clearly marked items for checks, out in the open, dice must stop rolling. Character creation is governed by strict guidelines. Also, we use poker chips to track resilience - it also lets your party leader and other players how hurt you are and allows better use of GM fiat - because i dont have to ask and make it obvious i'm doing it. I never kill players for simply bad luck. They have to make dumb decisions to really warrant it - though i do give out permanent wounds often times. The players groan, but ultimately they thinks it makes their characters more "bad-azz" to look at their scars and wounds. A lot of "war stories" and bonding comes from it. People who do cheat (you cant be everywhere at once, and you do have to trust at a certain point) just bring more pressure on the group. When i think its happening, i use fiat more against that person, and try and talk to them later - i never do it in game. I dont have any fear of talking to players honestly, so this works for me.. may not work for everyone.

Malruhn
05-06-2012, 11:06 PM
I considered a "contract" - but never went through with the idea.

Please move to Alabama... I think our gaming styles would get along wonderfully!