PDA

View Full Version : New Boost: Linked

Dragonfly
03-31-2012, 09:08 AM
Hey guys!

I'm working on a character write-up, but am stumped on how to model a power effect using the RAW.

Conceptually, the character has a power that when used should: A) Cause pain and damage, and B) Drain the target of his or her powers.

The problem is that SUPERS! doesn't have a way of combining effects into a single attack. I can do the damage effect (Super Weaponry) and I can do the drain effect (Power Steal), but there is no way to do them both at the same time. It occurs to me that other concepts might require linked powers, so I would like to create that option for my own games.

My question is: What's the best way of doing this?

I'm considering creating a new Boost called Linked. Here is the first draft:

Linked
A power with Linked is permanently tied to another power. One die in Linked must be purchased for each die in the power being modified by the Boost. The linked powers go off simultaneously, affecting a single target. Because the linked powers represent different aspects of a single effect, the defender makes a single defense roll against the attack.

Example 1) Power Thief has the ability to cause pain and drain powers simultaneously with a touch. Towards that end, the GM purchases the following Powers for the villain:

Power Steal 5D
Super Weaponry 3D (Linked to Power Steal 3D)

Cruel villain that he is, Power Thief sees Goggle Girl on patrol, and decides to attack the child hero. Leaping at her from a rooftop, he goes for a draining touch. He rolls a total of 18 on his Power Steal, and a total of 11 on his Super Weaponry. Goggle Girl tries to defend with her Flight. She rolls 3D and scores an 8. She takes 1D of damage from the Super Weaponry (which she applies to Fortitude) and loses 2D worth of powers from the Power Steal (which come off of Energy Control Force - her only inherent power). Poor Goggle Girl! Fortunately, her goggle blasters remain at full strength, and Power Thief now has to contend with 5D worth.

So - what do you say? Is this a useful Boost? Is it over-powered? Under-powered? Over-priced? Under-priced? Is there a better way of doing this? I'm looking forward to your feedback and critiques.

Best,

Dragonfly

Simon W
03-31-2012, 09:31 AM
It looks like a nice addition to the Power Boost options. It looks about right for power level but I suppose its really one of those where a bit of playtesting wouldn't go amiss.

Dragonfly
03-31-2012, 09:36 AM
Coolness! I'll go ahead and give it some play-testing and see what happens. Thanks for the reply, Simon!

Best,

Dragonfly

Dragonfly
03-31-2012, 03:49 PM
Hey fellas!

Reidzilla over at rpg.net gave me some good feedback on the proposed Linked boost. I'm hoping you guys can chime in and tell me what you think. Here is his original reply to to me, along with my response to his critique:
__________________________________________________ _____________________

I like it but I think the cost is a bit high. It effectively has the same cost as Wizardry or a second attack but must always be used in conjunction with another power. Plus this means the user must always use both powers at once, making them effectively one power. Since a power can only be used once a round, except for defense, it limits their options as well.

So, my take would be to make it a Boost called Linked Power, similar to Side Effect but beneficial.

Linked Power
A power with Linked Power is permanently tied to another power. The cost of the boost is the dice value of the second power plus one. The linked powers go off simultaneously, affecting a single target. Because the Powers represent different aspects of a single attack, the defender makes a single defense roll against it.

Hi Reidzilla,

Thanks for the feedback! My initial thought was to go with an approach very similar to yours. Indeed, other superhero games have more generous cost structures for similar effects. For some reason, though, launching two attack at once in SUPERS! seems a bit intense relative to other games. I don't have a good reason for saying that yet. It's just a feeling I have. Based on that feeling, I decided to go with a somewhat more prohibitive cost structure.

The more I think about it, however, the more I like your suggestion. Indeed, it seems closer (in terms of cost) to other ways of launching more than one attack.

Example 1) Power + Split Attack: Control Ice 6d would allow an attacker to do two attacks on a single target [or two separate targets] and would cost 7D to purchase as a power. In some ways this is MORE versatile than the proposed linked power. The dice allocated to each attack, for instance, can vary; the attack can eat up two of the targets defense rolls for the round; the attacks can be directed at two separate opponents. Split Attacks are only slightly more limited in that linked powers open up the possibility of varying the effects being launched (ie. damage + power steal, damage + webs, etc.)

Example 2) [B]Reidzilla's Linked Power Boost: Control Ice 3D . Like the previous example - it also costs 7D. It seems pretty equivalent. It only eats up one of the target's defenses, but then again the target only gets one roll to avoid double jeapordy. Bad luck on the dice could REALLY mean going down HARD. BTW, I've always assumed that powers can be used with or without the Boosts associated with them. Using that logic, I would suggest that the base power (Ice Control) could be used without the secondary power (Webs), but that the secondary power could not be used without also launching the first.

Example 3) [B]Dragonfly's Linked Boost: Control Ice 3D + Webs 3d [Boost: Linked 3D] costs 9D. Well - the same effect as Reidzilla's version, but significantly more expensive.

Well - this whole post is me thinking as I write and mull over Reidzilla's critique. I think I've managed to convince myself that he's right on target. Do the rest of you agree? I hope we get some more input on this.
__________________________________________________ _____________________

So! What do you all think?

Best,

Dragonfly

novaexpress
04-02-2012, 05:15 PM
I just saw this post.

Indeed, the Reidzilla's proposition seems more balanced.
Your first one is overpriced, I think.
It's a powerful boost compared to some others. But the character with the linked powers still has to beat the defender's roll with his two powers to be fully efficient.

Dragonfly
04-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Hi novaexpress!

As always, thanks for chiming in with your feedback!

Best,

Dragonfly

urbwar
01-27-2013, 01:47 PM
Dragonfly,

I was looking through the pbp recruitment thread, and remembered you mentioned this when helping falinxelote's character. Did you ever finalize the text for the boost? I realized I kind of need it for my ION Guard adaption :)

Dragonfly
02-24-2013, 02:45 PM
Howdy urbwar:

Here is what I have right now.

Linked Power
A power with Linked Power ispermanently tied to another power. The cost of the boost is the dice value ofthe second power plus one. The linked powers go off simultaneously, affecting asingle target. Because the Powers represent different aspects of a singleattack, the defender makes a single defense roll against it.

I'm sorry it took me awhile to respond. I've been VERY busy and haven't had time to check the boards as much as I'd like.

All the best,

Dragonfly