PDA

View Full Version : Geezers of Greyhawk Unite!

Bearshrimp
02-29-2012, 08:36 PM
Do you remember (or wish you remembered) the heady days of high adventure when the best computer RPG available was Zork and required a boot disc? Do you remember wondering what kind of bow Eric had and why it was missing from the DMG? Do you recall a time before THACO where hits and misses were determined by looking at the table below the scimitar? Well if so I may have a campaign for you!

Seriously, I am a thirty something who was an avid gamer in the 80’s but kind of fell out of gaming just when 2nd edition was being released. Lately I have wanted to play but it’s hard to find a group that plays “old school” games located within 30 minutes of my home.

My campaign would be based on the T, A, I, C, and G/D/Q series TSR modules. I know we have played (or wish we had played) most of them, but they are classics that can be run over and over again IMHO.

Let me know if you are in the Pierce / South King county area and are interested in starting a 1e campaign based on the classic Greyhawk adventures.

dwarframpage
03-01-2012, 04:05 AM
I would be interested in playing, but would only be available on Saturdays.

Bearshrimp
03-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Thanks for responding to my post. I am currently playing with a group in North Seattle every other week (either Saturday or Sunday) and the drive is killing me. It would be great to organize a similar group here in the south end. I figure we could play at my place in Bonney Lake at first, but I am checking out local comic & gaming stores to see if we could get a table at a more central location.

My idea for the campaign would be to start everyone off with 1st level characters using the 1st edition (including the UA) rules, but I am flexible on the system as long as we stay away from the 3rd and higher editions of the game. I figure we need 3 players to reach critical mass with each player running 2 characters. Of course a group of 5+ with each player running a single character would be ideal, but I am not sure how long it will take to attract that many players.

The goal would be to have a long running campaign based in the original Greyhawk campaign setting of the early 1980’s (i.e. no Greyhawk Wars, etc.) mostly because I don’t know anything about the history of Oreth beyond the original boxed set supplement.

If you know of anyone else who would like to participate shoot me a PM.

Opuson
03-02-2012, 12:03 PM
Cool... didn't think there were any more woggies out there but me! And the scimitar chart... heck, even I barely remember that one, nice geek cred! I'd definitely be interested... as for store locations, have you checked out Funtasia on 336th in Federal Way? Last I heard, they'd opened a table area, but I haven't been there lately. Regardless, I'd be interested in the game... heck, just having someone to BS with about Oerth again would be nice! Please keep me in the loop, and let me know if you get to critical mass (3+ players), or if you'd like someone else to GM I can do that too... still have all my 1st eds, even my UA and the Wilderness/Dungeoneer's survival guides. FYI, sounds like you're not a fan of the newer eds - don't blame you a bit, but you may want to check out Pathfinder... I know it's semi-3.5 based, but the feel is much more like older-school stuff, per myself and many other 'geezers' I've chatted. Hope to hear back!

Opus

Bearshrimp
03-02-2012, 01:05 PM
Hi Opus!

Well that puts us at two players in the area, one more and we can start talking about venues and dates. On the rules edition its about 1/3 nostalgia and 2/3 laziness. I don’t think I could handle learning a new gaming system after D&D, AD&D (1&2), T2K v1, T2K v2, MSH, Top Secret (1 & 2), MSH (1&2), WHFRP, WH40K (1,2,3), Traveller, MegaTraveller, Traveller TNE, Traveler 2300, 2300AD, FASA Star Trek, ICE MERFRPG, Star Frontiers, Star Wars, Masquerade (et. Al,) etc…

Besides, I don’t have any more bookshelves J

I did buy the core books for D&D 3.5 and they just didn’t click with me so I sold them on (something I rarely do). Can’t think of anything I specifically didn’t like, it just wasn’t D&D anymore (IMHO).

I will keep you up to speed and the Federal Way location is something I will look into.

Warchylde
03-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Add me to the old timers list. I am in Tacoma and if the times/day works I am very interested.

Giasrhen
03-04-2012, 09:26 AM
Well, I'm an old timer. Older than most anyway and I do not have time to add another game to my weekend. I run 3.5 now and some otherstuff. but if you all find you really need a particular module from 1st or 2nd edition and can't find it, let me know. I will see if its in my vault and we can try to work out a loan. If your going for nostalgia some of those modules can't be beat.

Bearshrimp
03-04-2012, 07:05 PM
At this point it looks like we have 3 potential players. I have set up a Yahoo Group at this link http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Greyhawk_Geezer/ to manage all group coordination and files. So far it looks like we have dwarframpage, Opus and Warchylde interested. I am thinking the first session would be at my home in Bonney Lake on Saturday March 24th. I will post more specifics on the group page and we can use the message board to make arrangements for the session.

Anyone interested in participating please send me a message or check out the group website.

Thanks!

DoubleX66
03-27-2012, 11:50 PM
Hi! Not an old timer (24 been playing dnd for about 6 years) I have only played 3.5 and 4.0. That being said I would love to learn the rules to the early editions and I am would kill for a good local game. Saturday's work for me. Sunday might if it were every other week.

Please let me know if you are willing to teach. I believe I would bring a lot to the game and want to be a part of a long term group.

Thanks,
Dixon

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?k1m2ec

Bearshrimp
04-11-2012, 05:33 PM
OK everyone it looks like we are meeting an 12:00 on Sunday April 15th at my house in Bonney Lake. Please drop me a line at Bearshrimp@gmail.com (Bearshrimp@gmail.com) and I can fill you in on the specifics.

Hope to see you there!

Bearshrimp
04-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Well this weekend didn’t work and after a Pen & Paper direct media blitz I only had confirmations from Opus and Dylan. Because of the responses I received over the weekend I am encouraged that we should have at least 4 players interested to participate in our first session.

I would like to have the initial session run from 11:00am to about 5:00pm on Sunday April 29th. The date and time are not set in stone and if there are folks who can’t make a Sunday session we could move it to Saturday the 28th. As for the time we probably will have a hard ending time of 6:00pm so I can get the kiddies to bed on time. Personally I am an early riser and would be available anytime after 9:00am but I realize that’s early for normal folks on a Sunday morning.

One Idea I have been kicking around is a “meet and greet” character generation session for this Sunday (the 22nd). I Can’t make it on Saturday because I am taking the family truckster up to Mt. Vernon for the tulip festival and will be gone all day. Anyway, if there is enough interest in a 2 hour or so meet and greet session this weekend I will clear it with the Chief Family Officer.

Please join the group here:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Greyhawk_Geezer/ (http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Greyhawk_Geezer/)

and let me know if you are available for either the initial character generation session this Sunday or the general first campaign session on the weekend of the 29th.

Thanks,

Bearshrimp
04-23-2012, 06:33 PM
Recap of 1st Session, April 22:

We begin our old school Epic in the spring of 572 C.Y. where we find a the young squire Roderick on a noble quest to secure the Greenway road from the vile goblinoid marauders strangling trade between Principality of Verbobonc and the tributary shires of the Greenway valley nestled in the Kron Hills. Roderick, a yeoman squire from the plains of Furyondy, was presented with the opportunity to prove his worth to the church of Heironeous by Canon Berenwald of Verbobonc. In his journey from the city of Verbobonc to the lonely outpost of Kron Keep our squire was joined by Wolf, a barbarian of the Northern wastes.

During their travels Roderick told Wolf of the dangers faced by the Gnomes and Halflings of the Greenway Valley and his noble quest to defeat the evil threatening their prosperity. Wolf felt such a pursuit would be worthy of a skalds’ tale and agreed to join with our young squire, pledging his spear to the vanquishing of the goblinoid hordes.

On the road from Etterboek our travelers were joined by an elven ranger of Celene and his Gnomish scout companion who were also in route to the Kron Keep to aid the Gnomes of Chronshire within the Greenway Valley. On the last leg of their journey from Sheernobb to the Keep of Kron our intrepid adventurers were joined by a half-Orc searching for souls to save from trouble and his half elven compatriot is search of the marauders ill gotten booty.

The group reached the keep at dusk on April 22, 572 and was allowed permission to enter by the local men-at-arms. After stabling their mounts the group split up. Arlen and the 1/2 Orc retired to the inn of the Upside down Unicorn to partake of the local distilled elixir, a rather fruity wine known to the locals as ZheMa. Wolf and the Gnomish scout sought out Theign Leofwig, Bailiff of the Keep to identify the challenges facing the frontier outpost. Much to the chagrin of Wolf, Roderick sought an immediate audience with his lordship Ordric, Baronette of the Kron Hills.

Due to Roderick’s persistence, Lugh (corporal of the keep’s watch) informed Theign Leofwig of Roderick’s request to speak with Lord Ordric. After a brief altercation with the Bailiff, Roderick joined Wolf and the Gnome in the Bailiff’s office to discuss the troubles facing the Keep. Theign Leofwig presented the group with a map of the area indicating the suspected lair of the goblinoid raiders. In addition the party was presented with a ransom note for the local merchant and his wife. While Roderick believed the poor penmanship and grammar indicated a band of elven mercenaries, the 1/2 Elf’s uncanny knowledge of languages clarified that the note was more probably the work of goblins.

While part of the group met with the Bailiff, Arlen and the ½Orc noted that the tavern was nearly empty apart from a pair of lovers and an odd group of robed and armored men. In his interaction with the rather homely bar matron, the ½Orc learned that there was a gorge to the west riddled with numerous caves inhabited by a number of hostile humanoid tribes.

After their conversation with the Bailiff, Wolf the Gnome and ½Elf joined Arlen and the ½Orc at the Inn while Roderick departed to the local chapel for his nightly devotional. Wolf immediately struck up a boisterous conversation with Brother Hobart, the apparent leader of the robed men. After imbibing some of the local brew, Wolf began to feel that the fair disposition of Brother Hobart was a ruse to discover the strength of the party and their objectives in the area. Wolf also noted that, while they claimed to be clerics of Tyr, the symbols emblazoned on their robes were not consistent with worshipers of Tyr.

On completing his devotional, Roderick joined the group at the inn where he sensed that the robed men were evil. Suppressing his overwhelming urge to slay evil on sight, Roderick monitored the behavior of the strangers from a separate table. The party then retired to a large room and discussed the nature of the strangers.

Roderick told the group that he sensed great evil from the group while Wolf noted his impression that the strangers were on some form of information gathering mission. After the discussion the Gnomish scout was sent to spy on Brother Hobart’s group. While outside their apartment near the chapel he overheard that the master of the caves would need to be informed of the party and the danger they posed.