PDA

View Full Version : [Aurora, IL] Indie and Old School: Let's start a group!

buzz
02-23-2012, 03:15 PM
I'm looking to form or join a regular group that plays indie and "old school" RPGs.

Indie: Burning Wheel, Sorcerer, FATE, The Shadow of Yesterday, Dogs in the Vineyard, Fiasco, etc.
Old School: Moldvay D&D; Lamentations of the Flame Princess; Labyrinth Lord; Adventurer, Conqueror, King; Stars Without Number; WFRP 1e; etc.

We'll play a given RPG until everyone feels satisfied they've had their fill, and then move on to the next RPG. If a multi-year campaign happens, great! If we play any given game for 4-6 sessions and then switch, that's great, too!

Ideally, I'd like a weekly after-work game—I have potential player for whom Tuesdays are good—but a biweekly weekend game would also be possible for me.

As for location, I am open to ideas. I'm in the Aurora, IL area, near the Fox Valley mall.

If anyone is interested, please let me know!

L8knight
02-24-2012, 10:00 PM
I haven't played any of the games you mentioned :) but doesn't mean I'm not interested. However, Tuesdays don't work for me. I'm also in Aurora. I was going to start a group myself but have a newborn so unable to host for a few months.

buzz
02-25-2012, 02:59 PM
Thanks for posting, L8knight! What days and times would work best for you? Your profile says 10pm and later on Fri and Sat, is that right?

Have you read or heard of any of the games I listed above? Which would interest you the most?

Delwugor
02-26-2012, 12:15 AM
Hey buzz, we ran into each other at lunch on a GamesPlus game day a while back. I'm sure you remember such an interesting person as myself from one lunch over a year ago. :lol:
Hey also L8knight, nice running into you again.

I'm interested though I'm not sure about doing it weekly with two other semi weekly games going on. Mrs. D is great about letting me out and play but too much and she might not be happy. And since she knows how to use my battle axe an unhappy Mrs. D is not something many enjoy. :eek::biggrin:

I've played Burning Empire once (at the game day) and loved the experience and am running a Strands of Fate game. The rest I am not familiar with though I am willing to give anything a try.

buzz
02-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Hey Delwugor! I absolutely remember you. :)

What days and times work for you? Also, where do your current groups generally meet? I'm trying to figure out some good public locations, though meeting at people's homes is possible, too, as logistics allow.

L8knight
02-27-2012, 09:56 AM
Hey Delwugor, glad everyone is still around and evidently sincerely interested in forming something. As you know, I had also been trying to get a group together but with a newborn in the home the misses hasn't been receptive of me hosting a game at the moment (I continue to try).

I had been working on two campaigns that I would have liked to try to run eventually; Mongoose Traveller campaign and a D&D 4e campaign (I know, not a popular edition but I'm playing 2 3.5 campaigns currently). I'll try anything though. From your original list at the top of this thread, I've heard of The Burning Wheel and Sorcerer. Moldvay D&D would be very cool.

As for availability: I am not available on Tuesday evenings or Sundays (have a 3.5 campaign played on Sundays). Saturdays won't work cause the wife will never late me take a whole weekend for a hobby she doesn't get :) I think the bi-weekly game night is a great idea, as long as we can agree on a night. Sounds like the bigger problem is where to game :(

Alverant
02-27-2012, 11:15 PM
Hi Buzz,

Sent you a private message. I'm available Saturdays and Sunday morning/afternoon. I'm willing to give the games a shot. Lamentations of the Flame Princess and Stars Without Number sound interesting. I'm also considering GMing a Champions campaign if the group goes for the superhero stuff. If my times fit in with everyone else, great. If not, well I tried.

buzz
02-28-2012, 10:02 PM
No Tuesdays, huh? A biweekly Friday game might work perhaps? Hmm...

I'm primarily interested in the kinds of games that I listed above; I've played a lot of HERO, D&D 4e and D&D 3.5 and am not really interested in those games any more. I'd give old school Traveller a shot, but not Mongoose.

Delwugor
02-29-2012, 12:11 AM
Hey everyone remembered me, usually when that happens I have to hide. :lol:
Congrats on the newborn L8knight! They let me procreate 3 times, can't figure out why though.

OK schedule match up times. I'm usually good Mondays and every other Friday starting this one (date math - scratches head, oh look a calendar - 3/2, 3/16).

Meeting places are always difficult with new groups, my supers group is in a library room and my long time group meets at homes. Heck half the time its walk in grab a beer and then see if anyone is home.

I'll give anything a try at least once, heck I tried marriage once and 20 years later she still can't get rid of me.
I can also contribute on the GM side, if people are up for a Spaghetti Western style I've had an idea for over a year, with either Strands of Fate or MiniSix. I'm real good at coming up with different ideas to run with, I'll let you judge on actually GMing.

L8knight
02-29-2012, 10:21 AM
Every other Friday would likely work. And again, I'm open to trying out different games.

buzz
03-02-2012, 05:15 PM
Okay, that's three of us for a possible alternating Friday game. Anyone know anyone else how may be interested? I had one person I was in contact with, but I don't know if Fridays work for them (I'll check).

With a small number of people, I would recommend Burning Wheel for fantasy; we could try one or more of the sample scenarios in the Adventure Burner book for that game. I have the most experience with that RPG of the indie stuff listed above.

Delwugor
03-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Sounds good. Sent you my email address.

BRG
04-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Buzz,

I have an old school fantasy game running every other Sat. We use C&C, which is an extension of D&D; simple and highly modifiable. We meet in West Dundee, just up north from you, right along the Fox River. If interested, give me a shout.

Bruce