PDA

View Full Version : Supermovies

novaexpress
02-22-2012, 02:39 PM
Hi,

Just a free topic.

Did anyone of you see Ghost Riders II, or Chronicle?
And if yes, what's your opinion and/or advice?
I've no time to see both at the cinema.

Simon W
02-22-2012, 04:04 PM
I hated the first Ghostrider movie, so I wouldn't even give Ghostrider 2 a look. Hadn't heard of Chronicle till you mentioned it. Looks OK though.

Dragonfly
02-22-2012, 08:16 PM
I hated the first Ghostrider movie, so I wouldn't even give Ghostrider 2 a look. Hadn't heard of Chronicle till you mentioned it. Looks OK though.

I don't have time to see most movies these days, so I won't see either. I WILL, however, go see John Carter when it comes out (I've been waiting for that movie to be made since I read the novels back in 1980 or so) and I will OF COURSE make time to go see the Avengers.

As for Ghost Rider - I didn't quite hate it because I had such low expectations the first time around. It was actually better than I thought it would be (which isn't saying much).

Chronicle looks cool, but I'll have to wait for cable.

Best,

Dragonfly

urbwar
02-22-2012, 08:41 PM
I haven't seen either, but I've read comments on various forums that Chronicle is better than the trailer looks. On the other hand, the only comments I've read on Ghost Rider were negative, and while it was flawed, I did like the first one (it was better, imho, than either Daredevil & Elektra)

novaexpress
02-23-2012, 05:28 AM
Indeed, compared to Daredevil, Elektra or even Catwoman, Ghost Rider I is a great movie. ;-)
I've read as well a lot of negative reviews and comments about Ghost Rider II. I think I'll wait for the dvd.
On the contrary, as for Chronicle, I've read a lot of good things about it. First movie of a yound director. It's a mix between young gifted movies and pseudo-real movies like Blairwitch, REC or Paranormal Activity.
The director used 3 different kinds of cameras during the filming, to represent the main characters' moving points of view.
And the FX seem quite good in the trailer.

Simon W
02-23-2012, 09:18 AM
Strangely, I quite liked Daredevil. I couldn't get all the way through Ghostrider though.

Skunkape
02-23-2012, 09:23 AM
What I didn't like about the first Ghostrider is that Cage seemed to be channeling Elvis playing Ghostrider, and that really bugged me. But other than that, I was OK with it.

I haven't seen any supers movies recently, but am looking forward to The Avengers! I hope it's long and good.

If I have time I'll go see Ghostrider 2 and Chronicle provided I can make it to them before they leave the theaters!

novaexpress
02-24-2012, 04:35 AM
I advice you to check the last X-men movie which is a good one.

novaexpress
02-25-2012, 08:07 AM
I saw Chronicle yesterday. And I did like it. The approach is original.
A good mix between a teen movie, a Blairwitch-like movie and Akira.

urbwar
02-25-2012, 09:27 AM
I know we've only discussed live action films so far, but I'd also like to point some great animated films for super heroes. First off, The Incredibles, which is fantastic. Megamind is another great one.

Then I'd suggest some of the direct to DVD DC offerings. My favorites have been Superman/Batman: Public Enemies, and Superman/Batman: Apocalypse. I'd also suggest Green Lantern (Emerald Knights, though that isn't bad either), Mask of the Phantasm (first Batman animated full length), and the one that featured Superman's death and return. Marvel's Iron Man and Doctor Strange were ok as well, and Hulk vs (featuring him vs both Thor and Wolverine) is a must see, imho

Dragonfly
02-25-2012, 10:13 AM
I want to see all of these, but my tight budget, the fact that my wife and kids monopolize all of the media in the house, AND the fact that my free time is limited due to my working so many jobs keeps me from renting and viewing all of these. I'm going to try and remedy this during the summer. Mask of the Phantasm is the exception, as I own that and am a longtime fan of B:TAS. I also managed to catch Iron Man, which was pretty cool, although a departure from the comics in many ways.

I DO, however, get to watch the current animated series. I LOVE Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, and so do my daughters. My six-year-old loves Hulk in it, and she also love's Thor. She was running around the other day wearing a Superman cape that my students made for me when I defended my doctoral disseration, and wielding a rubber hammer that she got at Chuckie Cheese yelling, "I say the nay!" My nine-year-old loves the series as well.

Recently, they've both gotten into Batman: Brave and the Bold. Favorite character? Aquaman!

Best,

Dragonfly

urbwar
02-25-2012, 08:06 PM
Oh yeah, Batman: Brave and the Bold is another animated show that is great fodder for Supers! I can't believe I left that out!

novaexpress
02-26-2012, 09:54 AM
I didn't know all these animated. Living in France, there's no advertisement for supers animated (compared to manga ones).
Reading US comix, it allows me to see the adverts printed. So, I recently saw Superman and Shazam vs Black Adam (story is so-so, but the pace is good and the drawing is well rhythmical).
And I watched as well JLA : Doom, which is better. The story is the same as JLA : Tower of Babel, written by Mark Waid (who, incidentally, is doing a good job on the new Daredevil storyline).

urbwar
02-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Nova,

The animated films are direct to dvd, so they don't get the same kind of advertisement that films in theaters do. Still, there's a lot of them out there. You've got 2 Ultimate Avengers films, Doctor Strange, Iron Man, Young Avengers (which I didn't like too much) and Hulk Vs. There is Thor: Tales of Asgard, some motion comics, and of course the recent anime versions of Iron Man, Wolverine, X-Men and Blade.

DC has 2 Green Lanterns (one an anthology), Wonder Woman, 2 Superman/Batman, a bunch of shorts besides Superman/Shazam (the Green Arrow one was the best of those, imho), and others. They are good fodder for adventure ideas!

Skunkape
02-27-2012, 10:32 AM
I advice you to check the last X-men movie which is a good one.

Yes, but they broke the comic book cannon with the new movie. I did like it, but it has nothing to do with the comics accept for the characters. The timeline is completely different, interactions with various characters is largely changed, and I didn't like the way Beast looked, I prefer the older 70s/80s look to the newer one.

novaexpress
02-29-2012, 03:28 AM
@Skunkape: I understand your point of view.
@ Urbwar: thank you for the references about the animated. A friend of mine is going to make a copy for me of a good dozen of animés that he owns. Can't wait.

urbwar
02-29-2012, 01:26 PM
Nova,

Your welcome. Hope you enjoy them!