PDA

View Full Version : Quintary Star

someonelse
02-18-2012, 07:15 PM
Quintary Star is the name of my homebrew setting. For further details you can go to http://quintary-star.wikispaces.com/

I run a regular game in my homebrew world on sunday afternoons as well as a Ravenloft campaign every other saturday night. I have a little more time on my hands lately so I would like to start another game. I am available for gaming every friday or saturday night from 8 until whenever.

I am also looking for more players for the saturday night Ravenloft campaign, there is currently only 2, a paladin and a cleric, both human.

I have a lot of campaign ideas in mind, some published adventures, some things I have written; and if none of it appeals to the players I'm always down to freestyle. I really just want to play more often, I used to run two games a week and play in a third but then I got busy for a few years, now I have some time on my hands once again but I'm having a hard time getting another game together.

I run D&D 3.5 with a few house rules I have developed over the years, some of which can be seen on the Quintary Star wiki (but only those pertaining directly to the setting, like how I let Clerics take Domain they like instead of being limited by their deity).

So let me know if you want to play D&D sometime, I pretty much always do

kysp
02-19-2012, 07:25 AM
I don't mean to push any buttons here, but have you considered Pathfinder?

someonelse
02-19-2012, 08:44 AM
Sure, have you considered giving me a few hundred dollars for new books?

kysp
02-19-2012, 08:54 AM
Nope. And thanks for the snark. How am I supposed to know your reasons?

Are you open to a twice monthly Friday game?

someonelse
02-19-2012, 10:12 AM
Sorry

seriously though, I hav a lot of money invested in 3.5 for one thing (off the top of my head I've probably spent over $500 on books alone, not counting modules, dungeon and dragon magazines and other assorted materials).

Also, I'm very familiar and comfortable with 3.5 - I have considered all of the edition wars arguments and decided that I like 3.5, any minor issues can (and have been) fixed with house rules. I have a pretty regular group of people (who can almost exclusively only play on sundays) who have been playing 3.5 for many years now (long before 4e). I am aware of pathfinder and I agree that some of the changes were for the better, but I just don't feel that it is worth the hassle of changing systems. I don't even like making changes to my house rules, I usually consider a change for a few months before bringing it to the group and then I have everyone discuss the rule and vote on it.

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

I prefer to play every week, but I'm open to every other week.

I will post a longer response in a couple hours with some notes on what campaigns I have in my back pocket ready to play on a moment's notice (my regular sunday game was canceled today due to some sick players)

someonelse
02-19-2012, 01:09 PM
First, I think I should tell you about who I am as a DM. I have been called a power-gamer by people who think that's a bad word. I enjoy games with powerful characters and difficult challenges. For me, the standard PHB characters are boring (though still fun to play, the last time I played my PC was a Human Sorcerer), If you take a look at some of the available races on the wiki you can see that I'm very open to non standard characters.

Here are some campaign ideas I have;

The Horde: This campaign takes place across the ocean from the main continent in my campaign world, in the evil lands of the horde. PC races include Hobgoblins, goblins, Drow, Drider, Duergar, Barghests (Illegal to feed on Goblinkin), Bugbears, Ogres, Frost Giants (in the northern territories) and Fire Giants (in the southern territories) and a few other rarer species (anything not listed requires a compelling backstory); Orcs, Kobolds and the races in the player's handbook are slave races, players may play one of these races at their own risk. Hill Giants, Trolls, Gnolls and lizardfolk are mostly barbarian, living in the wilderness and not interacting much with society (except for trolls, who are highly adaptive and can find their niche anywhere). Wild tribes of Orcs and Kobolds often work together to oppose the empire of Hrotx that enslaves their people. Minotaurs live in the underdark and rarely come to the surface, but there are a handful of minotaur mercenaries about, enough that an extensive backstory isn't necessary for a Minotaur PC.
Players may make characters with one hit die and may be up to ECL 3 with level adjustments (Drow for example). all PCs start with 0 XP. If a player chooses a racial class with multiple levels but only one hit die (such as faerie or brownie) they could take up to 3 levels of it, as long as they still have only one hit die. If a player wanted to play as a half dragon (pending a backstory) they could take up to two levels of the 3 level half dragon class, since it has no hit dice. Races that have racial hit dice must take that racial hit die at first level, for example, a bugbear must have at least one racial hit die plus their level adjustment. If a player chooses to play a character without a level adjustment they may instead take an additional 2,000 gold to begin the game with.
- [ ] Pantheon
- [ ] These are the deities most commonly venerated in this
society. Players are free to create unique deities of their
own, these deities would of course be more rare.
- [ ] Vathklorn NG (Most people of good alignment in this society
are drawn to the teachings of Vathklorn, as a god of travel
his clerics have visited this land on several occasions and
have always demonstrated the virtues of goodness for
goodness' sake)
- [ ] Quinque TN (Any Alignment)
- [ ] Daigentu TN (god of life and death, mostly worshipped by
those who oppose undead)
- [ ] Hrotx LE (this is the religion that runs the state; clerics,
monks and paladins of this order are above the law with
respect to civilians)
- [ ] Shulditat NE (Banned, this is a god of necromancy)
- [ ] Bl'Mmorphett NE (mostly worshipped by warriors as a god of
competition and war)
- [ ] Malsvirrygat CE (this dragon god would be banned for causing
so much trouble except that some very high ranking members of
this church hold very powerful positions within the empire)
- [ ] Jaidu CE (main god of the Drow)
- [ ] Ahnemn the Destroyer CE (This god of chaos and destruction is
banned in the empire)
Misc info: this is a nocturnal society. Most people sleep during the day and are up and about at night. Most slaves work during the day and remain locked up at night.
The empire is rather scattered. There are cities that are not ruled by the empire, but even in these towns there is still a church of Hrotx. These towns that are not wholly controlled by the empire are only free of imperial control because of their own strength and ability to keep the empire at bay.
Although the official government is Lawful Evil and the cities are surrounded by tribes of Chaotic evil barbarians, the alignment of the PCs is completely open ended, you could be good or evil aligned.

The Land of Theuria:
I have a longer introduction written for this campaign, which I will email to all players before the game begins. This campaign is intended for heavy roleplay and less combat and was inspired by the Narnia movie Prince Caspian. Essentially, the PCs play forest folk, fey, elves, druids, rangers, etc. They are fighting back against the encroachments of a human city. My intention is to run this freestyle, I have NPCs and locations with a lot of detail as well as open ended adventure hooks. There is a major NPC of every alignment, each with their own motivations and goals (including the good guys). Each major location has some kind of story hook to be found.

I have a few other ideas up my sleeve, but these are my two favorites. I also have a few published adventures I would be open to running as well. I have Age of Worms and Shackled City but I haven't read either of them because I want to play those.
you can also check out the wiki and if something catches your interest and you would like to just explore a part of the campaign world I could put something together, let me know.

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

Note: I have a tendency to info dump. I am aware of this. I won't take it personally if you don't read it all, I have fun just writing it :)

Some relevant house rules off the top of my head: I only require one racial hit die where applicable. I use Savage Species for the most part (except where changes were made for errata, SS is a 3.0 book), the rule given in that book is that a character cannot take any other class until they complete their racial class, I don't agree with that.

I use action points, flaws and traits from Unearthed Arcana.
I use a Fort save to prevent dying rather than a percentile.
I allow critical hits on constructs and undead but they are exempt from the crit chart (forgot to mention, I use a crit chart, if the players don't like this they can take a vote and I will set it aside if that is the majority preference).
I allow characters to level up instantly with numerical benefits (skills, saves, bab, etc), but spells, feats and special abilities still require rest.
instead of requiring fighter levels, weapon specialization (and other feats with similar requirements) instead requires the attack bonus of a fighter of that level.
When a character dies they may attempt a DC30 Will save, if successful the character will rise as a Ghost (and must take at least one level in the ghost racial class).
Eschew Materials: Sorcerers get this at first level as a bonus feat. The amount of material component gp that can be waived is 100 +10gp per caster level, beyond that they may exchange XP for Gold. 5 Gold = 1 XP
Half Feats: Some feats are not worthy of being taken alone, but if you have the ability to combine them they are worth taking. So these feats can now be combined and considered as half a feat.
The following feats count as half a feat: Acrobatic, Agile, Alertness, Animal Affinity, Armor Proficiency (any), Athletic, Augment Summoning, combat casting, Deceitful, Deft Hands, Diligent, Great Fortitude, Investigator, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Magical Aptitude, Martial Weapon Proficiency, Negotiator, Nimble Fingers, Persuasive, Self Sufficient, Shield Proficiency, Skill Proficiency (choose any one skill to become a class skill), Simple Weapon Proficiency, Skill Focus, Spell Mastery, Stealthy and Toughness.
If a player is making a character and they don't have enough gold for everything they want to have to start the game with they could trade XP for gold on credit. This would represent the character having some special circumstance that allowed them to have a little more money, maybe they had a lucky day of gambling, or inherited some money, or they're from a rich family, or they just have a job and have been saving up. They exchange XP for gold at a rate of one for one, so if they want 100 gold they begin the game at -100 XP. `
Players must be able to justify their character at the very least (I had one player years ago who fulfilled the bare minimum, he was a human fighter who worked with the town guard, when he wasn't on patrol he went adventuring, his father was also a town guard and his father before him, it was the most boring character I have ever seen but the player was able to answer basic questions about his character and play the role and he seemed to be having fun with it so it was ok). I prefer players to submit backstories by email at least a few days before the game (the deadline is 24 hours before scheduled game time), if the backstory includes a reason for it, the player may take one bonus feat (they must meet the prerequisites of course). For example, a PC might be the son of a warrior who favored the bastard sword, so they mention in their backstory that their father taught them how to use it and bequeathed his sword to them upon his death. So they take Exotic Weapon Proficiency as a bonus feat and buy a masterwork bastard sword with their starting gold.
Ability Scores: 4d6, reroll all 1s, keep 3, roll 7 scores, keep 6. I use the arrays in the monster manual for minor creatures, PCs and named major NPCs roll by these rules.

This is all just off the top of my head, I thought it might be interesting/useful to anyone who was considering playing in one of my games. I know some people don't like to play this way. Frankly, I love role playing, but I also love the tactical/mechanical side of gaming as well. In one of my games it isn't at all uncommon for everyone to spend an hour or two leveling up and buying gear and getting their character all ready to go kick some ass, and then we spend the rest of the session just talking and role playing and telling a story together.

someonelse
02-22-2012, 10:09 PM
Looks like no one is interested?
Just FYI, if anyone is interested in playing on Sundays we are always open to new players (currently have 3, my limit is 6). The game is about to hit epic levels.

I'm not going to keep checking this everyday, if you want to get in on a game send me a personal message.