PDA

View Full Version : Handling a third faction in a fight?

Q-man
02-17-2012, 05:26 AM
In a recent game session the players were trying to buy something at an auction that was important for their goals. However some evil group was also trying to purchase the very same item. The bidding dragged on for a bit until the evil group got frustrated and charged the auctioneer trying to take the item by force. The players also rushed in to make sure they didn't lose the item.

Initially its the PC's versus this evil group, so everything works fine. Trying to keep some reality to the game I had the town guards jump in as well. The guards didn't know, or care, who was in the wrong they were just busting heads to get things calmed down. So the guards were attacking both the PC's as well as the evil group.

My question comes from some of the powers which target "Each enemy in the burst you can see". Would the town guards count as enemies? They are attacking the PC's, but the PC's probably don't want to kill them as it would make things much worse for them so their status as Enemies is somewhat nebulous.

The way I ruled it was that the guards always counted as enemies, this way it forced the PC's to be a little more careful otherwise the list of criminal charges against them would increase. I figured the added challenge would make things interesting for them. Given that the power makes it sound like the PC is selectively targeting people with he ought to be able to pick and choose who it hits.

I'm curious how the rest of you might handle this sort of thing.

RakshaGC
02-17-2012, 11:13 PM
I think that ruling is fair. Any creature openly hostile toward the PCs should be treated as an enemy, using DM discretion for unusual circumstances like mind control and the like.

Malruhn
02-18-2012, 01:58 PM
I'm with Raksha - they may not WANT to target the guards, but at the moment, the guards ARE attacking. As a player, I would totally understand - and be pissed that my tactic would be ruined. If the guards weren't attacking, they would be considered allies - so it's a good call.

I declare this a, "Good job!"