PDA

View Full Version : Question about Boots

Dragonfly
02-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Hey guys,

Here's a rules question. Actually, it's not so much a question about the rules, but about how you would adjudicate a situation. The rules are basically "mum" on the subject, so I guess there is no right or wrong answer, but I'm still curious to hear what others think.

The question: Does a power with a Boost always HAVE to utilize the Boost? Example: If I have a character with Energy Control 5D (Boost: Area Effect 1D [+1 Target]) - are my attacks ALWAYS Area Effect, or can I choose whether or not I utilize the Boost every time I use the power?

I'm leaning towards allowing the choice to be made each time the power is used. What do you think?

Best,

Dragonfly

novaexpress
02-10-2012, 04:02 AM
I would choose the same thing.
As I read in the (R.I.P.) Tri-Stat system, as long as the character bought a boost for its power, he can always choose to use this boost or not.
If it's not possible, so it means that the boost is not an external effect bought after, but on the contrary, that it's an internal effect (i.e. it belongs to the power's core).
The rules say also that, for instance, if your Super blows a cone of fire which always spreads over a zone of 30 meters (sorry for the metric system) because that's the original description of his power and not a boost added, he can try to use it over a smaller zone, but he incurs a malus on his roll.

Another example would be if the Human Torch would like to light a cigarette (I know, he doesn't smoke) with his power, and that instead of producing a small flame (matching to a minor trick version of his fire control power), he was always forced to use a fire blast. Kind of a cartoon-like situation. ;-)

Dragonfly
02-10-2012, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the feedback, novaexpress. It helps to confirm the direction I was leaning in. I'm also posting these questions over at rpg.net, and Simon gave me a good response over there, saying that in MOST cases this was correct, but reminding me that to some degree it depends on what the player envisioned at character creation (which is ALWAYS important to keep in mind with SUPERS!).

And you made me laugh with the Johnny Storm trying to light a cigarette with a fire blast. :-)

Best,

Dragonfly

novaexpress
02-10-2012, 07:58 AM
Nice from Simon.
I haven't yet checked the forum on RPT.net.
I think I should.
I'll post my questions about the rules later next week.
Have a nice week-end.