PDA

View Full Version : Victoriana Actual Play Podcast

Jenerickat
12-22-2011, 08:14 PM
We (the producers of Gamerstable (http://www.gamerstable.com)) have just finished our first foray into actual play podcasts. It is called “Actual Play Victoriana – The Case of Penny Austin”.

I welcome you all to click here (http://gamerstable.com/openly-gamer-theatre-2/) to listen to episodes 1-5.

Please give us your thoughts on it, questions or suggestions.

Dark
12-28-2011, 12:32 PM
If it was up to me I'd put some more emphasis on 'Role-playing' and less on explaining a game to listeners who know the game.

Jenerickat
12-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the comment, Dark.

I agree that for those who know the rules, it might be a bit of a put off. That was one of the things that we struggled with when we decided to do this. In the end, we wanted to go outside our own comfort zone and play a game that was unfamiliar to us. Unlike most, we are not concerned with publicly stumbling through a new game.

Victoriana is not a hugely followed game and our goal, successful or not, was to let the listeners experience a new game along with us.

Dark
12-28-2011, 02:31 PM
Good to know

Tonpa
01-03-2012, 03:10 AM
Just listened the game and I must say it's awesome! The speed is extreme. I presume you edit the recording heavily?

Cheers

Jenerickat
01-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Thanks Tonpa!

We do heavily edit, for pacing and content. Our intent was to give the feel of the game itself and our style without too much outside of game talk and dead air.

Tonpa
01-03-2012, 11:47 AM
The end result is really good and consise. Out of curiosity; how much material you have for one episode, I mean do you edit 1,5h into 1h episode or something like that?

I really hope you do more actual game recordings like this, either Victoriana or other. :)

Cheers

Jenerickat
01-03-2012, 01:55 PM
We were shooting for around 45 to 50 minute episodes, which we accomplished for the most part (with episode 2 being the glaring exception).

Each episode was approximately 2.5 to 3 hours of recording (give or take).

We, as a group, are very pleased with the response we have had. This being our first attempt at actual play podcasting (and most of the guys have never listened to one before), the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive and we had a lot of fun doing it. We will definitely do it again.

As for Victoriana, I know that we will continue to play it because it was so much fun.

We will be doing another actual play podcast, but which game we will be playing is still being discussed.

Tonpa
01-04-2012, 12:49 PM
As for Victoriana, I know that we will continue to play it because it was so much fun.

In fact, after listening your game I went and ordered a copy of Victoriana from cubicle. Don't know if I will use the rules or just convert it into Strands of Fate (which is my go-to system), the setting sounds wonderful though. You don't know any other actual plays about Victoriana by any change?

Cheers

Jenerickat
01-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Sorry Tonpa, I don't.

Which is a shame. It is such a great game and AP podcasts are a great way to showcase it.

If I come across any I will let you know (and you please do the same).