PDA

View Full Version : Elder Scrolls conversion?

Thriondel Half-Elven
12-18-2011, 12:22 AM
Does anyone know of a conversion of the Elder Scrolls video games to a table top rpg? I'd prefer something similar to the 3.5 rules (d20?) as those I'm most familiar with.

If you don't know of any already made do you have any ideas of where to start for the conversion?

nijineko
12-18-2011, 03:01 AM
try here (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Tamriel,_TES_(3.5e_Campaign_Setting)) and here (http://www.freewebs.com/arthmodeus/)?

Thriondel Half-Elven
12-19-2011, 01:59 AM
Those were both great until I got further in and who ever made them must have given up/forgotten about it. :(
I did find another one here (http://tesroleplaying.pbworks.com/w/page/20608962/FrontPage) but it's not really d20 I don't think.

Skunkape
12-19-2011, 11:21 AM
I did find another one here (http://tesroleplaying.pbworks.com/w/page/20608962/FrontPage) but it's not really d20 I don't think.

Yeah, doesn't really look like d20 to me either! Unfortunately, I don't recognize what system that person was using, and I've seen lots of different systems. Good luck with your search.

nijineko
12-21-2011, 12:53 PM
yeah, so i noticed... i was hoping that they might provide enough of a framework to get started with. i am pretty familiar with 3.x specifically, and d20 in general, i might be able to help answer specific questions, but i've never played or even watched elder scrolls, so i don't have an idea as to what needs "converting".

Silverfuge
12-21-2011, 01:16 PM
We were thinking of doing the same thing but using the dragon age system

nijineko
12-21-2011, 01:21 PM
not familiar with that one, so i won't be of any help there, sorry. ^^ if someone gives me an idea of what a given concept / item / ability / effect is in ES, and how it is supposed to work, and i can give you the closest 3.x/d20 equivalent i can find / make.

Thriondel Half-Elven
12-22-2011, 02:00 AM
Well I guess it would depend on which Elder Scrolls game you choose to model it off of (or mix them). In each one the rules have changed in some aspect. Like in TES V: Skyrim you don't have a class. You just have all your skills and as you use them and they level up your character level goes up. So the more you use a skill (or "practice") the better you become at it and over all. The higher the skill is when it levels up gives you more toward your overall level up increase. When you level up you get to pick either Magicka, Health, or Stamina to increase (it increases by 10). Then you get to pick one "perk" in any of the skill's "skill tree". Of course you have to start at the bottom and unlock perks to move up to the better ones and most have a level restriction.

But in TES IV: Oblivion you had your classes. Which favored two attributes (str, int, willpower, agility, speed, endurance, personality, and luck). The 2 favored got a bonus. Then you had 21 skills. 7 of which were "major skills". The other 14 are "minor skills". To level up you must increase any combination of your 7 major skills (minor skills increase and you get better at them but they don't count toward your overall character level) 10 times. Then when you level up you get to pick 2 or 3 attributes to increase. I believe that if you level up a skill that is governed by the STR attribute so many times you get a bonus to this attribute increase. But only for the governing attribute.

All skills and attributes are to 100 in both games. I'm not sure off hand what attributes (in Oblivion) govern which skills.

In all TES games you have your Health, Magicka, and Stamina stats.

You also have "Birthsigns" in each game. They give you some special power. Like certain skills increase faster. Or you may have a once a day power to unlock a certain level of lock guaranteed. But Oblivion you picked this in character creation and you are stuck with it. In Skyrim you had to travel the land and find these stones. Activate one and you have that power. Find another and you can choose to activate it but you can only have one at a time.

Hmm what else. I'm sure most of this is all rambled together. I'm not even sure how combat and magicka would work... Well for Magicka you have your different schools (destruction, illusion, etc) the level of those skills (they are considered skills like the others like blade, the armor skills etc) and the level of the certain magicka skill determines if you can cast what spells. Say you have a Destruction skill of 40 and have 200 magicka. You find a spell you can learn but it requires a Destruction level of 50 or 225 magicka to cost.

I have some ideas running around in my head. I'll try to jot them down and put them up here.

Also, skills have "ranks" 5-24 is Novice, 25-49 is Apprentice, 50-74 is Journeymen, 75-99 is Expert, and 100 is Master. That is for Oblivion. I believe that with each new "rank" you get a perk. Like a Master in the Marksman skill arrow attacks have a chance to paralyze the enemy. I believe they switched all this (and added some) to the perks in the skills trees in Skyrim.

Silverfuge
12-22-2011, 07:10 PM
yes skyrim does also use the skill ranks but only for magic as far as i can see as a way off limiting what magic books you can buy. but again the magic has changed along with the enchanting and such.

windmark728
02-14-2012, 01:27 AM
I would give the BASIC rpg or Runequest a shot. They both are derived from the same % system and they would fit well, as a start. But in all actuality, I have seen Elderscrolls hombrew systems using almost everything out there.

Chaosnet
02-14-2012, 01:47 PM
Im torn between a D20 system which is level based and is inline with the Elder Scrolls and a Skill Based (such as BRP) system that doesnt have "levels". I guess you could go with some type of hybrid in Basic and assign "X" number of "Class Skills" and when those increase, you get a "Level Point" and once you accumulate 10 Level Points you level up and are able to increase HP, Fatigue or Magic Points (all of which are Derived Stats). As your Class Skills increase it will be more difficult to Level Up which is a good thing.

The only issue i can see with the above is that someone who starts off with their skills very low (say 25%) will actually outlevel someone whose skills start off at a median level (say 50%). As a result Low Man would be Level 10 and Median Man would be Level 5, so Low Man would have more HPs, or Fatigue, or Magic Points.

The issue with running a D20 style i think would be the fact that Elder Scrolls allows for the Fighter/Mage/Rogue style which would be more difficult, I think, in that ruleset.