PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy 7 in tabletop format

yukonhorror
12-14-2011, 10:24 AM
I was running a chat game based on the FF universe and the FF7 storyline. We were having tons of fun, but life got in the way. I would like to give it a nice retry, been having issues getting together enough people locally, so reaching out online.

Some info:

An energy manufacturing mega company known as Shinra Inc. is harvesting the sheer life energy of the Planet (known as the Lifestream) as a simple fossil fuel. The Lifestream is processed and made into products ranging from electricity and heat to Mako and Materia. The latter two materials can work miracles, granting the wisdom of the Ancients to the user. However, the Lifestream, like most other fuels, is finite in supply, and the Planet's lifeforce is being malevolently drained by the constant exploitation of Mako by Shinra. Though aware of the harmful effects, they function without remorse.

The Planet, occasionally called Gaia, is the world of Final Fantasy VII. It is technologically advanced, with many of the real world modern inventions, such as cars, television, firearms, and cellphones. It is economically, militarily, and politically dominated by a powerful conglomerate called Shinra Co.
The major differences: player specific backgrounds, multitude of races, the Shinra corporation is active in the war against Wutai.

The players will start on a train to their first mission as members of Avalanche, an eco-terrorist cell bent on destroying Shinra and the use of Mako reactors.

Why you join Avalanche is up to you (adventure, revenge, tree-hugger, etc...).

The system we are using is HERO 6e (toolkitted from the fan-made FFRPG). It will have the feel of FF, but the mechanics/balance of HERO. If interested, I'll send you the toolkitting documents for character creation. Also, we will hold a session for summary of mechanics.

And some final notes/thoughts/etc...

If you are unfamiliar with FF7 or FF in general, don't worry. You'll pick up what you need to know quick. As for general FF concepts, I will give you the information you need to make the character you want.

If you are familiar with FF7, that's ok too. Yes, you'll know most of the story, but now you get to experience it from a table-top format. I haven't met too many people (who own the game) who haven't played the game more than once. This is a chance to replay it in a whole new light.

If you are new to the HERO system, not a problem, I somewhat am too. I have immersed myself into the game and have run it via chat for a little bit. The other players have never played HERO either, and one has never played a pen and paper game in his life, so don't feel weird about being new. In short, it is a very fun and well-balanced system. It has neat mechanics and I love how it plays.

If you are an old-hand at HERO, come on over. I could always use an expert to call me out on misinterpretations and to help other players with things.

So in short, send me a PM or reply if you want to join.

I am not sure when we'll play, but it will be saturday or sundays. However, the two current players are military and have a schedule where they have to work every other weekend. As such, we'll play every other weekend.

Player A: (wutai human swordmaster) a native citizen of Wutai who joined the turks before the war. With the onset of the war, he retired and has joined Avalanche to start a guerrilla warfare type of campaign aganst shinra

Player B: (human fencer) noble rogue. Think robin hood with an overconfidence problem

Hillsy
12-15-2011, 07:58 AM
Hi there.

Quick question - what Time and which timezone will this be running in?

Hillsy

yukonhorror
12-15-2011, 08:55 AM
Time is kind of up for debate. Tentatively, if it were on saturday, it could start as early as 9 am Eastern Standard Time (EST) and end as late as 11 pm EST. We obviously wouldn't play that long, probably a 6 hour block considering the every other week issue. If we can play on sundays, it will most likely be 1:30-5:30pm EST. What that is in GMT, I have no idea.

Hillsy
12-15-2011, 12:46 PM
GMT is +5 hours to EST I believe....so I'd have to be looking to finish around 8pm EST (1am GMT)...Realistically I could probably only do the Sunday slot (I'm generally busy on a saturday), but obviously go with whatever time gets you the best group...=0)

(I think I downloaded the Fan-made FF game...that the Zodiac FF RPG system?)

yukonhorror
12-15-2011, 02:39 PM
I have no idea if it is the zodiac FF RPG (I will check it out in case it isn't). If you are fine with 1:30-5:30, send me a pm with you email and we'll get you set up. I don't know if I'll find resistance with regards to doing this online, but I think we are at the point we can't be picky.

Hillsy
12-19-2011, 09:31 AM
Hey Dude,

Did you get my PM? Can't seem to find it in my sent items anywhere.....worried the net may have eaten it...=0)

yukonhorror
01-07-2012, 07:00 PM
Hillsy, sorry for the late response. I just noticed it. (been on vacation for a while). I didn't get any PM. Try and resend your email so I can send you the stuff you need to play/make a character. Also, remind me what times work and don't work. There has been a serious recasting, so I have no idea of people's schedules. Also, right now, there is only one solid player (not including you), so need to recruit at least one more person

At any lurkers out there, if you are interested, shoot me a PM or post here. NORMALLY, I check this site on weekdays.

Hillsy
01-08-2012, 01:58 PM
PM sent

yukonhorror
01-19-2012, 04:44 PM
I think I finally got the bare minimum for players, but could use more. So send me a PM or reply here if interested.

yukonhorror
04-20-2012, 07:53 AM
hillsy from above is a bit on hiatus for a while, so here is a bump to see if there are any new interested parties

We play every other Sunday 1:00 pm EST on maptools

Alathil
04-24-2012, 01:59 AM
I'm very interested! I'm even playing FF7 as we speak. I've been craving it for a while in fact. I really would like to find a FF group of any kind really. Something that might involve moogles at one point, but if not, no worries. Haha. I'd be interested though. Just don't have any of the items required to play. Maptools confuses me to no end and I lack the book(s) required. If you could point me in the direction of acquiring the books and possibly inform me how to use maptools properly, that would be awesome.

yukonhorror
04-24-2012, 08:05 AM
alathil:

Someone else PM'd me with interest, but has yet to send me an email. If you can send me your email address (via PM) before that person, you are in.

Second, I will teach you all you need for maptools. It is pretty easy when you get used to it. We use a pretty basic setup, it is mainly for maps and dice-rolling.

Regarding books, no REAL need. HERO is a generic system, so I have toolkitted it to fit FF. Regarding specific HERO mechanics, we'll go over them as you play. Only one player is well-versed in HERO, the others are all new to it.

The toolkit (classes and such) are all word files written by me that I will send as soon as I have an email.

If you want to play a moogle, that's cool. I am not strict on how the FF7 world is shaped. I had a player make a moogle character once (although they never played, quit before we started).

Alathil
04-26-2012, 10:46 PM
Sounds good to me. Quick question though: How often were you planning on gaming? And for how long each time? I believe you stated it in the first post, but I was just curious about any updates. :) When do we start?! :D