PDA

View Full Version : What is a good Ranger Combo Class?

GarretJax
12-09-2011, 11:20 AM
I started off as a ranger thinking I would be additional help in melee but it has evolved into being one of the main melee fighters... I'm kinda stuck because I like the ranger outlook but I'm getting smoked because I'm not a heavy armored fighter type.. I want to keep the Ranger outlook but maybe lean toward a figher class.. Is a Ranger / Figher class a good combo? I just obtained the ability to cast spell which is cool but I guess I may have to give that up... I like the roleplaying aspect but I may have to look into the statistical side just abit to make him somewhat more survivable... I'm abit of the old school, so I'm used to the 2E, and slowly learning 3.5 campaign we are in now.It really seems to be a great system, just a lot to re-learn it seems from 2E to 3.5.

nijineko
12-10-2011, 10:55 PM
these two links are to ranger specific optimization threads. now, you may not want to take or do all or even most of the things mentioned, but this should give you some ideas for various things that synergy well. i can come up with more later.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4621

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1543

Mordenkainen
03-01-2012, 04:11 PM
A ranger/fighter is a fairly good idea. It depends greatly on your level though. A 2-level dip into fighter for the two bonus feats will improve you, but another option to consider is the barbarian. Like you, they do not wear heavy armor, they have a d12 hit die, can rage (up it to three times per day with one level of barbarian by using the extra rage feat) and they have a few other good abilities. Or you could take a 2-level dip into paladin if your charisma is good. Overall, I would say that a prestige class could be your best option, as it might not detract from ranger as much, helping with the role-playing, but could add some power.

-Mordenkainen, archmage of the Flanaess

Rastfar
03-20-2012, 03:54 PM
I love the Ranger/Bard combo personally. If you aren't looking to be a main melee fighter type and would rather tend toward the 'support' class role, as I so like to do, I have had a lot of fun with this. Grr,... now I wanna play one. I've got ideas already.

nijineko
03-26-2012, 12:52 AM
planar shepherd is always an option. if you don't mind 3rd party material, a guardian might work, but would likely require some retrofitting, phbII options, or some interesting in-game cooperation from the dm.