PDA

View Full Version : Question about Changeling the Lost Games at the Court Level

Forgotten.Curse
12-05-2011, 11:12 PM
I participated as a player in a couple of Changeling the Lost games (both larp and table top) and I found them disappointing. All of them seem to play like a Vampire the masquerade game where players and npcs were actively trying to overthrow every other court and only barely willing to give up power to other courts. What I would like to know is how others have experienced games at the court level? Did they seem like rivaling clans/sects competing for power? (Hoping not) Talking to one friend, 2 likely problems were 1: LARP, and 2: the core book Miami example seemed like a vampire scenario. (Possibly 3: everyone probably really wanted to play vampire)

Prince of Cincinnati
03-13-2012, 07:04 PM
It really depends on the city. Some cities are nothing more than back stabbing, power grabbers . Miami is one such example. The Summer Court is in rule year round. Some cities don't even have a court system because not enough changelings or what have you. I believe there is no wrong way. Certainly there must be cities where the courts rule evenly. But more to you problem. You don't seem to like this setting. The thing to do is tell the Storyteller -in a nice way- what it is you would like to see more of. Perhaps a game where it's centered on the keepers attacking or where it's about helping humans.
BTW I have a play by post on the obsidian Portal

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/changeling-the-lost-dream

Forgotten.Curse
03-14-2012, 11:43 PM
Its not really a dislike of the setting, it was just disappoint how every game I participated in as a player put more emphasis on court vs court that other setups. Part of the issue I guess I may actually have is when the game starts, I really have no idea what the ST/GM has planned or what he wants to do with the game, if I new, probably would not have joined most of the later games.

Jayzilla
03-15-2012, 08:34 AM
That almost sounds like Song of Fire and Ice: where the players run their family and try to overpower other families. Except, fire and ice doesn't put PC's on different families because that basically makes them enemies.

In my experience, when PCs are each other's enemies, all you get is stagnation, because if anyone really 'loses' or gets a big advantage, you'll have nothing but hurt feelings all around.

Prince of Cincinnati
03-17-2012, 02:21 PM
I agree Jayzilla. Putting the characters against each other sucks. Even in the world of darkness the gaming group is center stage. I think you may have it wrong though Forgotten. It's not what HE has in mind, but what YOU are wanting to do. While the Storyteller may have some scenario for you, it's up to you to decide which direction you will go with it.

Forgotten.Curse
03-17-2012, 07:36 PM
(For a reference, these games occured shortly after the release of changeling the Lost but before the first of its Additional books were released) From what I understand of the LARP, the beginning of the game was for the various courts to find successors among the new players, which eventually turned to distrust among the courts when the fae portions of the scenario came about. I had no idea what was going on for the longest time and several times was pulled out of play and my character appeared to become an antagonizing figure to the story. In slight conflict with the Prince of Cincinnati, I would generally agree that is the way most games should go. But now it does seem like several of these early games, the STs/GMs had a story they wanted to tell that I as a player just didn't quite fit. (Like a bad actor casting)