PDA

View Full Version : The Making of an Empire

BRG
12-02-2011, 06:10 PM
There must be a wandering Cleric and Hero-Lusting Rogue out there?

Hello,
I am posting this invitation to all role-playing fans. I started playing D&D in the late Seventies, at the Dungeon Hobby Shop in Lake Geneva, Ws. I played for many years both as a player and as DM. I have not played the pen & paper version for many years, playing mostly on the computer. I missed the face-to-face style of gaming and social interaction, and have created a new campaign in the good old fashioned D&D style. I would like to explore the possibility of starting a bi-weekly campaign, where storytelling reigns supreme. I think approximately 8 players. I am open to both experienced gamers, never-played-before, and everyone in between: I think that a mix of gaming experience, ages, and approach (excluding the win at all costs approach) to the game can make for a more interesting time for all.
I want to use a straight forward set of rules, as they allow for immersion in the game instead of being immersed in a book. I believe the rules should be a tool to serve the enjoyment of the game, and allow for creativity and interaction to come first. I like when players role-play their character, but I donít think it is necessary for players to be actors, just willing to jump into the fantasy spirit of the game and have fun as their alter egos.
I have always believed that as DM, my job was not to be in competition against the players, but to allow for the game to unfold and flow smoothly and dramatically, which does not include seeing how many characters I can kill off. I have a fair amount of flexibility with the campaign, and the way in which I adjudicate the action. I try to give the world and the individual situations within it a rhyme and reason for existing, without being too anal about all the details. I believe that things should make some sense - keeping in mind it is the sense of a fantasy realm - and not be there just because a number was rolled on a chart. The game should play like an epic adventure, and as the story unfolds, heroes will emerge. It is the players who will write this story as much - if not more - as I have written.
I live in the far northwest suburbs of Chicago and can host the game at my home. I have player maps and a written introduction to the world, playing aids like battlemats, painted miniatures, etc, and comfortable accommodations. If interested, please contact me through this site.
Thank you,
Bruce

Jeffrey
12-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Hi Bruce,

My wife and I are interested in your game. We are nearby in Algonquin and have been playing RPGs since 1976. The kind of campaign you describe is hard to find these days in an age where munchkin-ism rules. We've not played C&C, but I understand it is based on D&D so I can't imagine it would be too hard to pick up. Please keep us in mind if you are able to put the game together! I can be reached at Jeff6016 (at) Gmail.com Looking forward to hearing from you!

-Jeff

Crisp64
12-04-2011, 12:43 AM
Bruce,

My son and I would be interested. We are part of a OD&D campaign so this sounds like it would fit our style. We have not played C&C but think we could easily pick it up. We live in Crystal Lake and can make weekends. You can reach us at cmowthorpe@gmail.com and I can bring another along if you need to build a core and don't mind another teenager.

Chris

swimbackdanman
12-05-2011, 12:42 AM
I might be interested in this. I live in Woodstock Illinois, so it's not too far of a drive. I much one-year-old college kid with a decent amount of role-playing and dungeon mastering under my belt, and I have a lot of free time right now, so depending on when you run these sessions I wouldn't mind being a part. Especially if it's a larger group, it won't be that big of a deal if I can't make it some weeks or if I can't commit as much as other people. But I could be up for depending on what happens once you get more details.