PDA

View Full Version : Weapon-Ups

DMMike
11-20-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm noticing how the latest generation of war games gives you more features for your weapon of choice as you use it, and wondering how to apply it to a fantasy RPG.

This idea was explored in a D&D book - something like "Weapons of Legend." But I think those improvements were based on character level-ups (and they had a sort of epic/fate feel to them).

What if there was another scale for improving a weapon, like number of kills? Could the weapon get improvements other than, or less significant than, attack bonuses or spellcasting?

nijineko
11-25-2011, 02:40 PM
look in the Magic Item Compendium, weapon and armor crystals.

DMMike
11-26-2011, 08:19 PM
Crystals - like the ones from Diablo II? I never played it, but had some close encounters...

nijineko
11-27-2011, 03:24 PM
never played any of the diablos.... (there are no cow levels) i was more of a starcrafter.

weapon and armor crystals are found in the magic item compendium. basically, every armor or weapon has one "crystal slot" where each crystal confers a benefit of some type. there are least, lesser, and greater crystals. least can be put on non-magic weapons/armor, lesser require at least a +1 item, and greater requires at least a +3 item. swap them out as desired. cheaper in some cases than a permanent enhancement, they are a very nice alternative and some of them grant very nice benefits.

DMMike
12-02-2011, 02:17 PM
What do the benefits look like? Are they just a workaround for creating magic items?

Weapons get a handful of stats that help to differentiate them at low levels. I guess these are the things that a weapon-up would most likely focus on, since the mages and gods handle the rest (like ego, fire damage, and dancing).

Weapon ups might add a bonus to range, effective size, weight, hands needed (for Power Attack only?), or damage die type. The trick is to make the improved weapon better than simply replacing it with a new weapon.

Or should a weapon up look like a magical weapon ability - and just save the character the hassle of trying to buy/make a magic weapon?

nijineko
12-05-2011, 02:07 AM
well, let's see. each crystal has a theme. with three power levels, it usually winds up being a benefit of tiny/small/medium, but some of them have pretty nice benefits, and a higher cost to match. there are a couple of unique benefits that are hard to find elsewhere, too. the great thing about crystals is that they are a bit cheaper, you can swap them out when needed offering versatility without demanding expensive commitments. looking at the existing crystals, some of them duplicate existing benefits more cheaply, others add a bit extra, and some are unique. given that they can be stolen or lost, i think they are balanced overall. as a player, i was excited about them, i could finally cover some contingencies that i didn't want to try to stretch to cover and ruin the theme or story of my character in order to do so. you know, you just don't always have fire or acid when you run into those trolls, but with a weapon crystal, you can have it in your pack for those times that it is needed.

DMMike
12-06-2011, 11:43 AM
True that. A weapon crystal is how a DM gives a player only one magic item, yet access to multiple powers. All this talk of expensive gear makes me want to reread disarming rules.

nijineko
12-07-2011, 02:06 AM
weapon crystals are fairly cheap, comparatively speaking.