PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones

mrken
11-16-2011, 12:03 PM
Ok, so a friend of mine turned me onto the HBO movie Game of Thrones. To me it was a great movie (though I thought there was way too much sex shown). In fact, it really reminded me of the game I have been GM'ing all these years, except my gamers are always whining for more magic and spectacular monsters.

Since then I bought the books and am just about to finish A Dance with Dragons. I found that there is a game based on these books and an wondering if anyone has played the game. Is it any good? Should I buy it, or, should I just continue with my game. Or should I modify my game to include more of the books ideas? Just looking to pick your brains. Thanks in advance.

mrken
11-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Not getting any answers here, but I did hear that our local convention in February will have a slot on Friday with Game of Thrones being offered. Think I will sign up for that and find out myself. Hope the GM is good or at least competent. The series was really good and I enjoyed the books immensely. Only expecting the game is at least decent, hoping for awesome.

Skunkape
11-22-2011, 01:24 PM
I have no experience with the books, HBO movie or the game, so I didn't put in a response. But since you mentioned that there's a game being run at a nearby con, I'd say that's probably a good way to get introduced to the game!

mrken
11-22-2011, 11:09 PM
February is a long time to wait I think. Was a sale on RPGnow. Think I missed it.

MortonStromgal
11-25-2011, 01:19 PM
I dont have the recent version of the RPG yet. I still have the old d20/tristat which the tristat one was ok and the d20 was pretty good for trying to make it fit in d20

mrken
11-25-2011, 09:16 PM
Thanks MSG. Could you enlighten me how it plays? How it holds to the books? How does it do what it says it does. Are you glad you spent the money on it? Do you have any of the expansions, and if so, which ones? Sorry for all the questions, but I really liked the books.

I just found out the GoT being offered at the Con is a board game. I am not really a fan of board games, but I think I will try this anyway.

MortonStromgal
11-28-2011, 01:11 PM
Thanks MSG. Could you enlighten me how it plays? How it holds to the books? How does it do what it says it does. Are you glad you spent the money on it? Do you have any of the expansions, and if so, which ones? Sorry for all the questions, but I really liked the books.

I just found out the GoT being offered at the Con is a board game. I am not really a fan of board games, but I think I will try this anyway.

d20
how it plays - like most d20 games only magic is mostly missing, if you have played Conan d20 you'll see similarities.
how does it hold up to the books - as much or as little as you want, it includes a summery of the first book and the classes are things like godsworn but there is nothing mechanicly unique to the setting.

tri-stat
how it plays - maybe I'm just not a fan of tristat but I found the rules clunky, its better for low magic than d20 but the mechanics were hard to remember and we were constantly having to look stuff up.
how does it hold up to the books - I would say if your farmiliar with tri-stat is probably better than the d20 version as the mechanics get in the way of the story less than the d20 version but we had never played tri-stat before so we were learning a new system.

was it worth the money - Probably not, it was $100 and its thick including both d20 and tristat systems but other than being pretty its not all that special
There were no expansions to my knowledge of these games as the company went bankrupt shortly after. The stand alone d20 book came out but the stand alone tri-stat was never printed so you have to buy the big book of both systems if you want to play tri-stat. The new one from Green Ronin looks good and Green Ronin has made some terrific products (Mutants and Masterminds, Freeport & Dragon Age) but I have not bought it yet.

mrken
11-28-2011, 07:52 PM
Morton, while I have never played any of the games you mentioned, I know enough about them to know what you are talking about. Or, maybe it was because you explained yourself well enough I can understand what you meant.

You sort of boiled it down to agree pretty much with what I had read online about the game. Maybe now that Green Ronin is in on this I might buy it after all. But I suspect I will use it as source material and maybe switch to a different rule system. I want to get back into gaming but I can't bear the thought of another DnD system even though I have a three foot stack of 3.5 and a foot of 4.0 to my back. Too many rules to be fun.

Thanks for you help.

nijineko
12-05-2011, 03:09 AM
if you ever want to offload any of the 3.5 books, let me know. ^^

mrken
12-10-2011, 12:09 PM
These I bought over a few years for my son. Now that he is mostly gone he told me they are now mine. Think I will box them up and store them for when he is older and wants to teach his kids how to play the old man game. lol

nijineko
12-10-2011, 09:59 PM
that's a good choice too. =D

Psychman
12-11-2011, 03:57 AM
I haven't actually played the Green Ronin "A Song Of Ice and Fire" RPG but the system seems very well designed for the style of stories in the setting. The standard assumption is that the players are all one Noble House, which they create as part of char gen. The system is a bit like L5R, a "roll and keep" using d6s, and it formalises Intrigue and Mass Battles in the same sort of framework as Combat, having a social "Armour Class" and "Hit points" as well as physical defences, health, and armour.

A note for those concerned about social combat, an Intrigue "combat" is focussed toward achieving one specific change in attitude/behaviour, not total conversion, if one side changes objective, the other side "heals" Composure (social hit points)

mrken
12-11-2011, 10:22 AM
Sounds like it has some of the same sort of stuff that my old Pendragon game had. Stuff like passions and loyalties.

kirksmithicus
03-18-2012, 09:57 PM
I realize that it has been a while, but Green Ronin has a quick start pdf on their website.

Ampolitor
06-28-2012, 10:08 PM
go get birthright for D&D and modify it, the perfect setting

Ethanorr
09-12-2012, 06:30 AM
Well I don't have any experience with this game. I don't play this kinda like game of thrones as I thought initially it is a game for adults. The review I heard is quite uncertain so i would like to play this game on trial version first.

Whisperduke
09-12-2012, 10:56 AM
Game of Thrones is an Amaizing series of books and also a very entertaining show.

There is still so much unknown about the Lore, Mythology, Magic System, Class features etc etc. Hell...even White Walkers are still a small mystery leaving out such detail.

Try the PC games. That might float yourself some ideas.

There is so little to be known that anything made by non professional sources (PC games, Goerge RR Martin approved resources etc etc) will be half done at best filled with Guesswork.

I'm sticking with Pathfinder and GURPS.

Banshee
09-13-2012, 02:40 AM
Game of Thrones is definitely amazing, both the series and the books. At the risk of sounding corny, both draw me right into the story, and I find myself thinking (at least for the show) that this has to be the fastest hour of the week! LOL I also like that some of the stuff in the show deviates from the material in the books. I know that some is obviously done for continuity and time constraints, but I hear from friends who are further along in the books than I that there are characters who appear in the books but not at all in the series. Just makes it interesting, and makes me need to see AND read more. Very well done.

mrken
11-18-2012, 10:52 AM
It has been awhile since I have visited this thread. In a way I am surprised it is not archived, and in a way I am surprised it does not have 58 pages of commentary.

Upon advice I found here, I d/l the free introductory piece. Read it over a few times to find out if I liked it even a bit. My problem is that I am so fascinated by the books/movies that I'm afraid any old pile of crap would look like gold to me. :(

The rule book also found it's way into my house. It too may have me under it's spells. So, of course I had to get the Chronicles and the Wedding Knight adventure as well. The rules don't sound so bad, but then I have yet to put them into play and see first hand if they work at any level. Wanted to run a game at one of our local conventions, but without running any games I am of course hesitant to run them for paying players. Since my old group fell apart maybe I will find the time to look for some players at our new game store.

DMMike
11-28-2012, 07:59 AM
I read something about social combat earlier in the thread, not sure if it's actually in the GoT system or not.
That system excluded, the burden seems to be on the GM to make a Game of Thrones game good, since GoT seems heavily social and less physical. Meaning, it's easy to set up conflict by having someone swing a sword at players, not so easy to set up conflict with witty comments, veiled threats, and conflicting motivations.

My lingering question: is there a Game of Thrones system that includes game mechanics that can't create the same game that d20 could?

mrken
12-14-2012, 11:47 PM
Are you talking about the social combat? Back in the day Pendragon had the social combat system that worked very well.

mrken
06-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Well, we have had three games. Overall, I do think I like the game even if I have pretty much butchered a good set of rules. Introduced the combat part of the rules last week and the intrigue part yesterday. Seems to me we are using about 10 to 20% of the RaW but the players don't seem to mind. As time goes by I am sure though get better with the rules. In the mean time, the players are off to the Wall. Much and more can happen in a thousand miles, and then they have to get home.

kirksmithicus
07-09-2013, 12:08 AM
I have friends that play GoT. I think they enjoy it more than any of their other current games. It is about all they talk about. The fact that you have to create your house and then work (mostly) together has really drawn them into the game in a way that the old "you meet in a tavern" or some such nonsense can't touch.

nijineko
07-09-2013, 10:40 AM
the "meet in the tavern" approach was evolved to deal with the reality of gameplay at cons. originally d&d was based around the concept that a pc was/would automatically become a leader of considerable resources and number of people, and was played as such. one of the gripes that gygax had with more modern versions was the failure to emphasize that point.

it is no more inherent to d&d than the dm in question.

mrken
07-30-2013, 06:31 PM
Well, we have met seven times now and things seem to be going well in spite of my fumbling with rules. Combat seems to becoming easier as we have went over it in quite a few different ways. The intrigue seems to be a more difficult challenge. We do this so frequently that every time seems to be the first time. lol I suck with these rules, but I do enjoy them.

We have one player who has lept to a higher social situation. Guess he is playing the Game of Thrones as intended. He has also run a session of the Night's Watch. Had to have a second group which included several of the original group. Some of the guys have to work on game days sometimes so the others wanted to have a second group with another as the head of household. We will see how this works out.

mrken
10-17-2013, 06:03 PM
The group has split in two. We have a group going Saturday from noon to 4, and then another group going from 8 to midnight. I am going to be exhausted. lol Gotta get back to writing up the scenes.

nijineko
10-18-2013, 01:54 PM
any chance of the two groups working at cross purposes? ^^

GladysPotter
12-10-2013, 11:27 PM
i have learnt a lot about the same name game and the book as well but have not tried any of them yet .. now looking forward for experiencing the both

DMMike
12-15-2013, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the updates mrken! Now I'm curious - any chance you could summarize the combat and intrigue rules for us?

mrken
12-16-2013, 01:06 AM
So we have been going since May. We have had problems with players not actually being players, more like PC and Consol players, or Magic players trying out "roleplaying". We do have three core players who are absolutely hooked.

The main game has been going most every Saturday, while we have created three side games now, two of those have not actually been played in as players show up and disappear. The two that have been played in have had contact with each other.

The way the combat and intrigue work is pretty much the same. Say you want to fight an opponent. Your skill is say five. That means you have five six sided dice to roll. If you wnat, you can get bonus dice to roll. You throw your five plus whatever number of bonus dice, say two. After you roll, you take the two lowest dice off the table and sum the dice. You apply this against your opponents Combat Defense number. Ten is a good Combat Defense(armor) for a character with plate. So you have 20 points against his 10 defense. You are ten points over his 10. This gives you two levels of success, which triple the damage the longsword does which is I think 3 x 4damage = 12 damage. Player characters can take injuries, or wounds to mitigate all of this and draw out combat, but normal characters cannot, except special NPC's. Players have like ten "hit points". So, it can get real deadly real fast, PC's can use these injuries and wounds to outlive the NPC's in most instances. Then you have the Destiny Points that can change die rolls.

Intrigue, or the "Social Combat" works the same.

May I suggest you d/l the free Fastplay version of the rules at http://grfiles.game-host.org/gr_files/SiF_Fastplay.pdf off of Green Ronin web site. It is in the Song of Ice and Fire tab at the top of the home page, then look down toward the bottom of the page for the link. http://greenronin.com/sifrp/

TanyaWilliams
12-18-2013, 01:53 AM
The tv series is just awesome. I watched it and liked it pretty much. The game might be worth giving a try. Let's see how that turns out to be.

mrken
12-18-2013, 09:17 PM
Exactly how I got addicted. I watched the first season on HBO and OMG!!!

First thing I did was to go out and buy the first book. I was coming up on the second book and was beginning to panic. Wife bought me the paperback collection from Walmart for like $17. Spent two days without my books to read. The day Walmart said they were to be in I went there and picked them up. Kid who got them for me was also a reader. We talked about 20 minutes about the books. Next few months were a blur to me. Then had to wait like three months for book five to come out. OMG!!! To think some people were waiting five years for book five to come out.

When Season 2 came out I had to find someone with HBO so I could rent an hour of their couch every weekend to watch it. OMG!!!

After Season 2 came out I found out there was a RPG. I had to get it. Then I couldn't find any players. Everyone wants fantasy. GoT is not fantasy to most gamers. Too realistic! My old home grown game was much like this, the dark gritty world. I have been in love with role playing again. So far I have had contact with 15 players who have wanted to play this game, and four who were not even role players. Most of them live ten to twenty miles away and this is a problem for them. I can understand. Maybe I would have a problem traveling that far, so I really can't blame them for not wanting the drive.

Have four people in the last two weeks contact me from a Meet up group who have expressed an interest via e-mail. So far only one has actually e-mailed back and we have talked. He says he will meet us this Saturday to make a character and play.

So, if you enjoyed the series, read the books and play the game. I do have to say, it has been tough to get things started. Green Ronin has not really provided a lot of help getting games going, or keeping them rolling. They have several books out that give plenty of background, and books to set houses into a game, but not much as for hooks for parties to chase after if they want to make their own houses. My traditional go to sources for hooks tend to have that elvin/magic/dragon/orc type of flavor to them. These types of hooks are almost worthless for A Game of Thrones. But, with all the stuff GR has provided and the books and the movies I have had some things to prod players to do stuff with their characters.

Overall, I would say this is much like Harn, or Pendragon in flavor. Which just happen to be the most flavorful in my opinion. Yeah, I like the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings, but Game of Thrones matches up with my historical roots better, and feels more comfortable. Not so geeky if you know what I mean.

nijineko
12-19-2013, 01:06 PM
you want inspiration for game of thrones? find the series of books with the term "horrible histories" in their title. the horrible refers to what people actually did to each other, not the quality of the book... which are quite good as i recall, and humorous to boot. they are basically aiming at all the stuff the history books gloss over or ignore.

that and read the newspaper and reflavor for the setting, lol.

based on everything friends and acquaintances who are fans have told me, and what i've read about it, i'm not a fan of what i've gathered of the setting. when i want gritty, realistic soap opera, i just go outside or read the news. so i've never actually read the books or watched the productions.

:behindsofa:

DMMike
12-28-2013, 02:03 AM
So, if you enjoyed the series, read the books and play the game. I do have to say, it has been tough to get things started. Green Ronin has not really provided a lot of help getting games going, or keeping them rolling. They have several books out that give plenty of background, and books to set houses into a game, but not much as for hooks for parties to chase after if they want to make their own houses. My traditional go to sources for hooks tend to have that elvin/magic/dragon/orc type of flavor to them. These types of hooks are almost worthless for A Game of Thrones. But, with all the stuff GR has provided and the books and the movies I have had some things to prod players to do stuff with their characters.

Overall, I would say this is much like Harn, or Pendragon in flavor. Which just happen to be the most flavorful in my opinion. Yeah, I like the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings, but Game of Thrones matches up with my historical roots better, and feels more comfortable. Not so geeky if you know what I mean.

The SoIF RPG doesn't provide much help for getting games going? I'll grant, the sort of drama that comes up (at least in the first two books I've read) in this series isn't the simple -you have gold, I'm taking it the hard way- kind of stuff. But I would expect an RPG based on Game of Thrones to have a serious amount of drama/plot help to it.

Game of Thrones seems to be moving into the Lord of the Rings level of magic. I'm hoping/expecting it to get geekier - with undead hordes, dragons, shadow-birthers, green-seers?, and all kinds of stuff for which I haven't even seen foreshadowing yet.

@nijineko: it's very soap opera. But every once in a while, like in real life, the tension comes to a head. And that's what makes it all worthwhile ;)

mrken
12-30-2013, 08:31 PM
What I meant by it d/n provide much to help get your game going is that it d/n provide my game much help getting them going. The game is not the books or series, it is your own game. You create your characters, and you create a household, then you create a game to play, with those characters and the house. I did get the Chronical Starter which has half a dozen or so houses with conflicting plots. These are sort of generic, but not really. The North and Dorne will be quite a bit different in flavor, not to mention playing the Iron Islands and any place in Easteros. I suspect my sandbox style of running games d/n help me in some regards, but in others it is pretty much game as usual.

We started to play in May. The short adventure A Wedding Knight was my only life line for me to get started. I was afraid of what might happen once we finished that. Fortunatly, one of my players did the typically unthinkable thing and got the story way off track. That, set us up for the next seven months of adventuring. We are now restarting with several new players as school and new jobs tend to play havoc with RP groups, not to mention new girlfriends. :)

The household creation has assisted me in a new start. That and the Chronicle Starter have helped, and finding another reader. We do have a non reader who wants to play the DnD game and the consul he is used to playing. Kill everything that moves and loot the bodies.