PDA

View Full Version : Nanowrimo 2011

Thriondel Half-Elven
10-26-2011, 08:07 AM
It's almost that time of year again! Who all is going to attempt 50,000 words in 30 days??
If you are planning on participating do you have any ideas yet?

I'm spending this week preparing and getting everything ready to start writing!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-26-2011, 11:03 AM
I'll be a part of it.

Thriondel Half-Elven
10-26-2011, 10:02 PM
I had a feeling you would Sir Arch Lich! Any idea what you'll be writing about? I'm going to tackle some zombies this year.

Umiushi
10-28-2011, 07:51 AM
I'll be following along at least. If I do write something, it's going to be space opera.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-28-2011, 09:20 AM
I had a feeling you would Sir Arch Lich! Any idea what you'll be writing about? I'm going to tackle some zombies this year.

I have yet to decide... perhaps a scifi. It's always a last minute decision with me.

How about you? Any details you want to share about your zombie story? Will it be in a fantasy or scifi setting, and/or taking place on the Earth of today?

fmitchell
10-28-2011, 10:33 AM
I'll probably participate, but I'm 2 for 10, and I've no strong idea. My current notions are a do-over of Cowboys and Aliens, and fiction based on my never-run "Days of Judgement" campaign in which a failing mining town in the Old West has to cope with folks rising from the dead ... and vice versa.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-28-2011, 06:35 PM
I'll probably participate, but I'm 2 for 10, and I've no strong idea. My current notions are a do-over of Cowboys and Aliens, and fiction based on my never-run "Days of Judgement" campaign in which a failing mining town in the Old West has to cope with folks rising from the dead ... and vice versa.

I typically have no idea what I'm going to write about till i let my fingers begin typing. It's kinda like automatic writing, except that you're allowing your own subconscious to work your fingers. What's great about this/my method is that it's literally like reading a novel for the first time while writing. I'm hoping that last line makes sense.

Thoths two coppers, if that.

Thriondel Half-Elven
10-29-2011, 04:42 AM
It will be in modern Earth. I haven't read much zombie stuff but I was having trouble coming up with a cause. In the end I'm going with something to do with some sort of anti-aging procedure. In which it revitalizes/revives dying cells. Of course this goes haywire and causes dead cells to come back, thus giving us the zombie. Not sure if this has been done and to what extent but I like it so far.

The main character is a 12 year old boy. Lives on a rural farm with his family. Not too far outside of St. Louis.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-29-2011, 10:06 AM
About the only books I've read with zombies in them are the Warhammer novels. The book I mentioned (above) will be the first zombie novel I've ever read. Okay, that being said, your idea sounds like a good one and you should go with it, Thriondel. In fact, I believe the idea is not only a good one, but an original one.

Thriondel Half-Elven
10-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks! I'm pretty excited about it. I've got some good ideas down on paper. Can't wait til the 1st!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-29-2011, 12:01 PM
Thriondel,

How 'bout we put our word count up on this particular thread on a daily basis as a motivator for others? I know it would kick me in the arse on my blah days.

Thriondel Half-Elven
10-29-2011, 12:26 PM
That's a great idea! I was thinking of ways to keep each other updated and motivated. And I know I could definitely use the extra motivating kick in the arse. I'm a professional procrastinator.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-29-2011, 12:57 PM
BTW, I 'm also a name-level procrastinator. It took years of experience to get there, but I'm proud (okay, maybe not so much) to say that my levels in the "procrastinator class" are in the double digits.

Thriondel Half-Elven
11-01-2011, 01:15 AM
And it has begun! Happy writing!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Today is the day!

Thriondel Half-Elven
11-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Not even noon on day one and the procrastination has set in (as you can see I'm here). I did manage to get in about 800 words or so right after midnight. So I'm not doing so bad on my daily goal.

I shall be back tonight with my days total!

Thriondel Half-Elven
11-01-2011, 11:58 PM
As of right now I am at 1,446 words. I'll be able to write for about a half hour more after I get to work. So I should be able to get past the daily goal. I'll post my final total in the morning! How did you fare on day one?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-02-2011, 12:10 AM
1,542 and done for tonight. Congrats to us both for finishing day 1.

Thriondel Half-Elven
11-02-2011, 08:20 AM
Ended up with 1,692! 25 over the daily goal! WOO!

Double congrats to us both for finishing day 1. Lets keep it going!

I've added about 757 this morning. I shall be going to sleep now.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Congrats! I'm still at 1,542 and hope to break 2,000 words today.

Thriondel Half-Elven
11-03-2011, 01:04 AM
Ended day two with 1,704 words! And an overall total of 3,396 words!

QT Games
11-03-2011, 02:12 AM
Good luck everyone! That sounds like a ton of fun! I've never written at that speed before though I've written a novel and a half and am writing another starting in January. I'll definitely have to try this out one of these days. A friend of mine told me about it and said he's going to give it a shot. Since writing a novel usually takes quite a long while, it must be kind of liberating knowing it will all be completed and over with, within 30 days. Definitely need to pace yourselves and save a bit of time at the end for some editing!

Thriondel Half-Elven
11-03-2011, 11:39 PM
December can be NaNoEdMo! National Novel Editing Month :biggrin:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-03-2011, 11:44 PM
Count me in, Thriondel.

Thriondel Half-Elven
11-04-2011, 12:09 AM
Definitely! No word count for me today. It was definite "blah" day. Nano happens to be during the part of the year I always get depressed in and don't want to do anything.

BUT I am going to get crazy over the next two days I have off and caught up and well over my daily goal by the end of the 5th

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-04-2011, 12:20 AM
My schedule wont be much different. Wont get much work done in the way of typing tomorrow, but this weekend will be another story, if you'll excuse the pun. I've been wanting to write an omnibus of three stories, no doubt inspired by the Gotrek and Felix books, as well as the Salvatore books in omnibus form. It is my plan to write another 50,000 words and make it book 2 of three this December; then, of course, January will be book 3, written for JaNoWriMo.

Will I be able to twist your arm for JaNoWriMo come this January of 2012. Thriondel?

January: Name: JaNoWriMo (January Novel Writing Month)
Time: 1 Month - January
Goal: Write 50,000 words.
Site: http://www.livejournal.com/community/janowrimo/ (http://www.livejournal.com/community/janowrimo/)

Thriondel Half-Elven
11-04-2011, 02:40 AM
Definitely! Well maybe we can skip the arm twisting!

So you're writing 50,000 words in November, December and January. Each?! And I thought one month was crazy. Well I like crazy. I'm down to do the Tri-WriMo!!

Not sure if the second two will be part of the same story and thus a series. But I have time to work that out.

QT Games
11-04-2011, 01:05 PM
I was reading an article by the winner of the 2008 contest and he said he was averaging 1670 words per day, but that his worsawas not as organized as it should have been and when he finished, the novella still needed loads of work and really wasn't finished.

He's since switched over to writing on Storyist software as it has outlines and places to record info on characters, etc. Not sure if it's a good tool for this contest or not, though it tracks word count goals. I'm starting another novel in January and will pick up that software and try it out.

Hey, has anyone used the Snowflake method yet to do any writing? They have novel writing software too, but I haven't tried it. I may try out the Snowflake Method - at least to some degree. It gets pretty in depth and sometimes you need to just get your words on paper, but overall, I try to keep pretty organized with my thoughts and characters. Anyway, I'll let you get back to your writing!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-05-2011, 01:54 PM
If you're planning on beginning a novel in January of 2012, then please join us for JaNoWriMo (see post #26), QT Games.

Thriondel Half-Elven
11-06-2011, 12:54 AM
I've been having a series of blah days :( Haven't written since day 3

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-06-2011, 01:27 AM
It happens. No worries. We are early into this month. Plenty of time to catch up.

QT Games
11-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Thanks for offering, Arch Lich Thoth-Amon. I'll have to think on that one. Not sure my January is going to be open enough for writing at that pace. It's already looking to get busier. I may end up getting a contract to paint a children's book I wrote (I'm an artist by trade), and doing that on top of writing my novel at a normal pace will be hard enough as it is, if I do get the contract. I'll have to play it by ear.

I also write and produce plays and skits and am starting rehearsals for a play in January that I wrote, though I'm not acting in this one, so it shouldn't be too bad time-wise. I like to keep pretty busy, but like I said, I'd have to play it by ear for now.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-06-2011, 12:05 PM
No worries, QT Games. Keep us up to date.

QT Games
11-06-2011, 10:03 PM
No worries, QT Games. Keep us up to date.

Thanks!

Hey Thriondel Half-Elven, if you don't feel in the mood for a couple days or something else's holdin' ya back for a bit, you can always brainstorm, clarify the flow/pacing/direction - tackle the story from a different angle. These sorts of things are also something you can do when you get too busy and really don't have time to write.

Sometimes when driving, I would do something like that - like flesh out in my mind something about a character or scene, since I wouldn't be able to write while driving. Then, when you hit a stop light or get off the freeway, get to your destination or whatever, you can jot it down real quick before you forget. It takes only a few moments, unless you were really in the groove and came up with a lot of stuff, or the drive was long!

Before I became a professional artist, I drove big trucks - for about 12 years. I kept a clipboard in my truck and wrote (and sometimes sketched) whenever I got a spare moment. I learned to love red lights and came up with a lot of cool ideas for my RPG, Cosmothea, as well as for stories in that universe. Brainstorming is loads of fun too. I still bring clipboards and sometimes note pads in my car when I go places (or sometimes an iPad for when I go to a Doctor's office or wherever). Of course you do have to be careful while driving and also avoid the temptation of writing while driving!

I hope you all have a great week of writing!!!

Q-man
11-07-2011, 07:13 AM
I have some real respect for you guys tackling this writing challenge. I don't think I could keep up that pace of writing, nor could I put together that length of text all in one story. All the stuff I've written in the past was fairly short, and still took me over a month to complete. Its pretty cool to go through NaNoWriMo vicariously through you guys, so definitely keep going with it!

I've never tried writing in the car before, I tend to do a lot of my planning while walking the dog. I'm pretty sure I became the neighborhood loony when I got an MP3 player that would record audio. Since that's when I'd be walking the dog and apparently talking to my self while recording ideas.

Thriondel Half-Elven
11-07-2011, 12:59 PM
I bought a digital voice recorder for when I"m walking/unable to write. I haven't used it yet. I think I have a fear of hearing a recording of my voice.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-07-2011, 01:20 PM
I've been meaning to get a digital voice recorder. Seems I come up with my best ideas when I am driving.

QT Games
11-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Heh, I had an experience with a digital recorder once ...
I was writing my first novel, way back when I was driving for a living. Bought the recorder thinking it would be the coolest way to get things down and there'd be no way I'd forget something while waiting to hit a red light or to get off the freeway so I could write it down. I was so excited, that I used it all day the first day - even embellished, since I like to act, with trying to do the voices of the characters. I have a bad memory and wasn't even trying to remember what I'd said on the recorder.

When I went home and tried to transcribe it, well, I had to laugh - it beats crying! All I could hear was, "... and then Timmon approached the cave, knowing ... VRRRROOOOMMM, RUMBLE, GRIND-SWITCH GEARS, VRRRROOOOMMM" and so went the entire recording. All I could hear was my loud engine! I'd lost everything. Of course that was driving a big, noisy truck, so I'm sure it would work better for you guys, and for me as well, now that I'm a desk jockey.

Q-man
11-08-2011, 11:43 AM
That would be a bit of a disaster to lose your recording like that. I guess I luck out since my dog is pretty quiet and doesn't interrupt my monologues.

Thriondel Half-Elven
11-08-2011, 11:32 PM
That would be terrible! I had wanted to get one that I could connect to my laptop via USB and have the recordings saved. But I ended up with one that doesn't have that feature sadly.

QT Games
11-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Yeah, Q-man, that was a drag, losing it all. Fortunately, those days are behind me. I might buy another sometime.

My wife bought a pretty cool, small one for her journalism. It splits into 2 small pieces, neither larger than a flash drive - and plugs into her computer for transfer.

Hopefully you guys will get good use out of yours. For now, I'm still jotting notes on paper and later to the computer.

Arch Lich Thoth Amon, I sure hope you buy one for the road!!!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Thanks. That's my plan by January. Some of my best ideas came to me w/o one and w/o a pen and paper on hand, as well. Ideas - all brilliant - gone forever.

QT Games
11-10-2011, 03:34 PM
So, how is everyone coming along on the Nanowrimo anyway? I haven't heard anything recently. Writing like mad, or? :)

Btw, not sure if any of you would be in for an uber-lite rules PlaybyPost, but I recently started up another one on my QT Games site. It's roleplaying heavy, light on combat - focusing more on characters and story than anything else - a heavy blend of scifi and fantasy in my Cosmothea universe. Contact me if you want to know more or check out the forums at my site. Thanks! I'm sure you'd find it loads of fun, if you are into Play by Posts!

More info HERE (http://www.qtgames.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=511&p=14119#p14119).

QT Games
11-12-2011, 01:04 AM
It's grown quite here. I can hear the crickets. Ok, so hopefully that's the sound of you Nanowrimo's writing lots of words toward the contest!

QT Games
11-15-2011, 05:01 PM
Is anyone halfway through the word count yet? Anyone getting nervous? Excited? Discovered they had a cooler idea than they thought or trying to fix one you thought might go somewhere and now you aren't so sure? How many of you have done this contest before? Have you finished a previous one, bailed, found it very rewarding??

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-15-2011, 06:50 PM
About 30,000 words and counting.

Bailed? Truth be told, I have had to quit mid-write before for reasons beyond my control.

I have new ideas come to me everyday when I write. Most of these ideas I forget about long before the month is up.

You joining us for next months write-a-thon, QT Games? It would be great to have you on board.

QT Games
11-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Hi Arch Lich Thoth-Amon,

Glad to hear you are still in the game! 30,000 sounds like a healthy number. You are well over the half way point. I'm assuming everyone's trying to finish early and then will go back in to do a bit of editing? I know my own work needs lots of editing! It's nice of you to try and include me in things. Is next month an official contest or are you guys just trying to do this like every month as a hobby or something? December is usually a hard month to get much of anything done, with Christmas coming and relatives and such.

My own schedule is up-in-the-air as I may have an opportunity to paint a children's book I wrote and may have a foot in the door with a publisher. I paint for a living, but writing and game design are my true passion. Still, I've wanted to do this children's book since I wrote the first draft in 2004. I just finished editing the manuscript this weekend and am laying out some ideas and doing some sketches, so my time is rather tight. If I get the contract, it will seriously eat into my writing time for my novel in January, which I'm bummed about. But I may have to strike while the iron's hot, so my schedule will be iffy till I know more. Thanks again for asking! I'm chomping at the bit to do some serious writing again. Time is my biggest enemy, and something I value more than money.

How are the rest of you doing with your writing project?

Thriondel Half-Elven
11-18-2011, 01:03 AM
All my inspiration died on the 3rd :(

I just couldn't get myself to write. And with work getting hectic with the holidays, two new books that just came out, and a new video game I just sorta lost track of it all.

30,000 is crazy! I'd be happy ending with that much. Great Job, Thoth!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-18-2011, 10:58 AM
So who's with me next month? If not, how 'bout January? There are writing contests every month, some of those contests span over 3 months, rather than one. I believe I have a few listed under one of my blogs - i'll check later; otherwise, I'll list some when I can find the time to get around to it.

QT Games
11-18-2011, 04:28 PM
Sorry to hear that, Thriondel. bummer. I must admit this Nov/Dec season is my hardest to try and get anything meaningful done. There are relatives visiting, shopping, and other things demanding my attention. I look forward to starting fresh in January. I hope that you will try to squeeze in some writing a little here and there - keeps us sane, the creative juices flowing, and then maybe you can start fresh like I am in January!

Thoth, I don't know how you find the time, my friend. Doing good! I'm not aware of any contests myself, though I tend to write for very specific goals that are of a different sort, such as writing for my RPG that I'll try to publish one day, Lord willing, and writing a play to produce (I've written loads of those and love it!). And of course writing the novel and maybe some children's books. I don't tend to do much writing just for the heck of it, or for contests, but I'm sure it's good practice and fun. :) Since our finances are not all that wonderful these days, thanks to the economic melt down, I kind of have to be in the mode of "how can I use my talents to make money?" Honestly, I'm not even the sort of person that cares that much about money - time is my most precious commodity.

But with my wife having been laid off in February, I'm kinda hurting for the cash, so yeah, I have to either a) spend my time chasing a dream that may or may not ever pay off, like my RPG, (but hey, a dream is a dream), b) write more plays and skits, since they are nearly always produced, though I've never charged for them, and doubt I would, or c) write a novel or try to publish one of my many board game designs, that again may never make money. But I do believe in using my talents and at least trying to earn a living with them, chase a dream, etc.. I already do with my art, but writing and design are in my blood and I'd love to carve a career doing both. As for a January contest? I dunno. It's not looking good for me right now, but it's hard to see the future. :)

QT Games
12-06-2011, 10:05 PM
So, who finished and how did it go? Happy with what you wrote? Would you take it and flesh it out further, now that there's no rush? :)

Thriondel Half-Elven
12-13-2011, 02:01 AM
I didn't finish. I was never able to pick it back up after the 3rd. But I do plan to continue writing it. The idea was in my head a while before nano.

I'm starting to think that my problem with nano is that I feel I HAVE to write. Like I'm forcing it on myself. And that has always been when I find it hard to write. Even back in school I had trouble starting and keeping it going. It's the whole "having to write with these limitations or guidelines". Though writing 50,000 words in a month isn't really a guideline I guess my mind thinks it is. Oh well I'll get it written even if it takes a while.

QT Games
12-14-2011, 12:49 AM
I'm sorry to hear you didn't finish, Thriondel Half-Elven, and as so few have responded, I'm wondering if it kind of slipped away with few around here doing it or what happened. I'm not making fun, of course. I know it's hard and time-consuming.

The important thing is, that if you are serious about writing, you make an effort to try and write as often as you can. I'm still committed to starting my novel in January, unless my children's book manuscript gets a contract for me to paint it, since I'm a painter by trade (but that doesn't mean they'll let me do it, and honestly I like writing better so I'm not sure I'd be that disappointed if the painting assignment was given to another as it would be hard to write my novel if I was spending most of my time painting. I'm itching to write, but only finding time this month to jot down notes here and there.

I hope you'll continue writing regularly, Thriondel Half-Elven, even if just a little a couple times a week or something. If we don't schedule such things into our weekly routine, well, I know in my own life at least, weeks turn into months, and months turn into years quite easily, with not as much to show for it as I'd like, though I am a workhorse for the most part. Good luck continuing your work on it - at least now there's no pressure and you can make a solid outline, character summaries or whatever to help make your story idea even better. Don't let it slip away if you think it's worth pursuing! And if it's not, that's Ok to - keep writing and tackle another project! That goes for all of you that started or were hoping to do the Nanowrimo!

Never stop writing!