PDA

View Full Version : Mage: The Awakening- Broken Arrow

valdaran
10-23-2011, 04:34 PM
So I'm looking to start a Mage campaign before the end of October, run on a combination of Skype and possibly MapTool for the combat scenes, or maybe something simpler just to sketch out a room. I tend to run quite roleplaying heavy games, which should suit Skype. I'm looking to examine the politics of the Mage community, so expect some wheeling and dealing, back room deals, and everyone having an agenda of their own.

I'm in the UK, so would be running on GMT, which might make it difficult for anyone on the other side of the Atlantic. I'm looking to run fairly frequent games, say 2-3 a month, but sometimes might have to postpone; if something important comes up.

I'd want to do a group character creation session before play starts so we can get a group of characters that mesh well together, and talk about where we want to set it, and what themes to focus upon, and then do the next session soon after.

I've put sunday on the form above as a starting point; the timezone difference with the one potential player I have means that it would need to be a weekend, and I often have to work on saturdays.

Anyone interested?

EDIT: Looking for at least 3 players, maximum 5, at least until I'm more confident using the software.

fictionalbeing
10-23-2011, 07:15 PM
Interested but will depend on the start/end day time as it works out in my timezone. Also, I'm on vacation from Oct 28 - Nov 4.

kaminoken
10-24-2011, 12:04 AM
interested but need a couple of days to read Mage that ok?

valdaran
10-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Yeah no problem on taking the time to read the book. I've got another potential player lined up, so when he lets me know what timezone he's in we can work out what times would be possible. I notice the two of you are both a good ways behind me; the latest I'd want to finish would be 23:00 UTC. Assuming 4 hour games that would mean starting at the latest at 19:00 UTC.

Gobbothegreen
10-25-2011, 12:23 PM
I'd be very interested in this if there are still spots. Haven't played Mage before but it is a system i've been wanting to try out for quite some time :)

valdaran
10-25-2011, 05:20 PM
Yeah there are still spots. The last person has yet to get back to me, but I'm ready to start working out what kind of times we can run a game. I'm proposing 4 hour games to start with, possibly increasing it if we feel the need. I'll be free most sundays 09.00-23.00 UTC, and will always let you know if I'll need to postpone a game. What four hour window within that time frame works for everyone else?

Any problems with November 6th as the first game?

kaminoken
10-25-2011, 09:34 PM
not with me Ill probably finish the book by then but I might need some help when it comes to roll. Do we need to have our character sheets filled out by then or are we going to take care of that when we meet up.

valdaran
10-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Hmm, well if you guys roll up characters before hand that would save us some time so we could get to playing. I'd like the characters to have met one another before play starts, even if they've only met one another once or twice. We could sort out how they know each other at the beginning of the first session. Unless anyone can spot any massive holes in that plan?

Gobbothegreen
10-28-2011, 01:43 AM
Sounds good, i'll make a basic character until then and fill out the backstory when i see how he can relate to the other characters.

valdaran
10-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Okay, here are the things I know about the background of the chronicle so far:

-Characters should be new arrivals to the area or fresh from their training.

-It's going to be set in a British city, probably London, as that will let me work from what I know best.

-The Adamantine Arrow is going to start off significantly weakened. I think one of the recurrent themes at first will be dealing with the power vacuum that creates, and working out how (or whether) to fix it. That doesn't rule out arrow characters, they'll just have to deal with a decimated order, but have lots of scope to rebuild the arrow in the city. Equally it doesn't encourage them particularly; in a world with lots of seers, banishers and other nasties a lack of warrior mages poses a problem to those of any order, and will probably come up in play.

-The Hallow merit from the core rulebook is off limits at the beginning. The first few sessions will deal with acquiring a Hallow, one way or another!

Writing this has made me realise a more detailed write up of the city would probably help you build characters, and make my thoughts a little clearer. Expect it within the next few days.

tanntrum
10-29-2011, 03:44 PM
Interested. I'll start up a character.

valdaran
10-29-2011, 07:25 PM
London
London is old; records indicate that it was first settled around 43AD. For most of its almost 2000 year history it has been one of the key cities in Europe, and is one of financial centres of the world. This translates to millions of people every year living there, working there and travelling there. Most of them see its shell; the empty concrete husk containing banks and offices, homes and schools, tourists and locals. 99.999% of people will never peer beyond, to see the real city; for them the mundane opportunities of this incredible city are enough to satisfy their shallow hopes and dreams, and its everyday risks enough to threaten them with hollow tragedy.

Our story however, concerns that last .001%. And in that sliver of humanity… well, that’s where magic happens.

Big pond, little fish.
Given its size and importance, London is of interest to all sorts of supernatural denizens, but particularly mages. Various ley lines and geomantic formations have left it with a peculiar geography when it comes to Hallows. They tend to be very old and very powerful, with their resonance established across centuries instead of decades. In a city as established as this however, they tend to be already claimed by powerful tenants, unwilling to give them up. Pentacle mages, Seers, Banishers and worse all vie for control of these sites, and a complex balance of power has arisen. To call the landscape intimidating for newcomers would be quite the understatement, and establishing any kind of foothold in the city requires allies, especially for a fledgling mage.

London Consilium
The London Consilium is, not to put too fine a point on it, massive. It includes all of Greater London, and has just shy of seventy members at present. It was, until fairly recently even larger (see below: Recent History).

The Hierarch, Gabriel, has survived as Hierarch, despite not being the most powerful mage in the city, by being a first rate diplomat and, when that fails, an excellent manipulator of people. His masterstroke in recent years was in amending the Lex Magica to grant a vote in Consilium matters only to those belonging to a cabal in possession of a Hallow. Given the limited number of Hallows available; and the fact that acquiring them requires some significant resources (which Gabriel is only too happy to provide in exchange for future favours in return) has cemented his power bloc in the Consilium.

Seers of the Throne
The Seer presence in London is at the same time a minor consideration for Pentacle mages, and the single biggest threat to their existence. The true numbers of the Seers are unknown, but speculated to easily outnumber the Pentacle, and include many extremely powerful mages. Were they to make a concerted effort it is extremely likely they could eradicate the Consilium with little difficulty given its currently weakened state. Thankfully however, the Seers are too busy fighting one another to worry the local Pentacle presence; at least, for the moment.

Apostates
There are some mages who refuse to swear allegiance to the Pentacle or the Seers, for one reason or another. The only large group of these mages, calling themselves the Disciples of the Flock, split from the Consilium after Gabriel changed the Lex Magica to exclude those cabals without Hallows. They would have been dealt with previously, had the respected and powerful Libertine Prometheus not extended sanctuary to them. Gabriel does not have the power, politically or magically, to challenge Prometheus on this matter.

Recent History
Six months ago, a local Banisher cult attacked the Consilium with devastating force, sparking off the bloodiest fighting in London since the Nameless War. It took the Consilium four months to finish off the last of the Banishers, all of whom were inexplicably knowledgeable in the Arcana. This came at some considerable cost however, and the Adamantine Arrow bore the brunt of the fighting. They went from being the most powerful order, politically, magically and numerically, to being the weakest. This problem was compounded when Titan, the long standing leader of the Order, was murdered by unknown assailants three days ago. Considered by many as the only real hope for rebuilding the order in London, this second blow may be one from which the Adamantine Arrow can not recover.

leejames929
10-30-2011, 09:18 AM
hey are you guys allowing more people in

valdaran
10-30-2011, 09:37 AM
I'm closing recruitment here, with the player list set at:
fictionalbeing (although haven't heard anything from you. still interested/available?)
kaminoken
Gobbothegreen
tanntrum
leejames929

If you all glance over the creation guidelines and create characters over the next few days, then send them off to me when they're done I'll have a quick glance over them, and send you all a PM with times for the first session and my skype details.

fictionalbeing
11-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Hello I'm still interested, but I'm on vacation this week (away from home).

Was a time decided on? That will influence my being in or out.

Thanks!

valdaran
11-03-2011, 02:14 PM
Well this coming weekend I'm going to be pretty busy, and the latest times I can manage will be 15.30-19.30 UTC. Not sure what that will shake out to in everyone's timezones though. After that though, I'll be more flexible on times. It's just that sunday happens to be my sister's birthday, so we're going out in the evening.

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Well I'm going to be pretty busy this weekend, so the only time for me on sunday would be 15.30-19.30 UTC (not sure how that shakes out in your respective timezones though). This weekend I might actually be able to squeeze in a game on saturday though, anytime from 18.00- 00.00 UTC if that would be better? Things should improve next weekend, which promises to be a little less hectic.

leejames929
11-03-2011, 09:24 PM
i wuld be fine anytime for sunday i have nothing to do that day and im only 3 hours behind you how wuld you like me to give you my sheet i have it almost done tho im using a pdf sheet so i cant send it thrue this pm systom if you give me your skype i culd send it that way

kaminoken
11-04-2011, 04:52 PM
im pretty much open to any time during this weekend,but if you need to push it back like next week it would help me a lot cause I got to study for tests. You're pick though.

valdaran
11-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Okay then let's say sunday at 15.30 UTC. I'll send you all my skype details before I go to bed, so you can throw any character sheets my way.