PDA

View Full Version : Solo D&D

Vulture
10-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Any one know if there are rules fore solo adventures for 4e? Due to my work schedule it has been hard to get in a regular game in.

LordNightwinter
10-11-2011, 10:21 AM
I worked on something like this previously while looking through old Advanced Hero Quest stuff. It didn't get very far though but if you were to come across a PDF of the old rule books you could do something similar.

Malruhn
10-11-2011, 11:13 PM
In over 30 years of D&D, I have found that solo gaming is a whole lot like masturbation - without actually touching yourself. You get the hint that something should be happening, but that's about it... and it's frustrating the entire time. It was the same complaint I had about those old, "Endless Quest" books where you would read an entry and have a choice to go to 72A or 146B afterward.

I wold recommend trying Play By Post or E-mail before you did anything solo. At least you have someone else involved...

BUT - you may be able to get more out of it than I ever did. Good luck!!

Soft Serve
10-12-2011, 01:18 AM
.... without actually touching yourself....

Unless you really want too.

Really though, I have played several solo adventures. And I did that using my players characters to see what they could and couldn't handle. It was in my first year or so of D&D and it helped me get my edge.

But I don't see the point in looking for a solo adventure pdf. It's not like there will be an element of surprise or anything for your character, so why not just write one up yourself?

Vulture
10-12-2011, 05:18 AM
Thanks, i have played through the red box adventures. i was thinking of taking ny dungeon tiles and making some kind of random encounters table as to what would be in each room, monster, treasure or both.

LordNightwinter
10-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Yeah, get the advanced hero quest rulebook, you can do what you're looking for using that. Or generate your own tables and rules.

nijineko
10-12-2011, 12:33 PM
well, maybe it is because of playing chess versus myself, and holding multiple virtual personalities in my head simultaneously, but i'm used to playing against a splinter personality of myself. however, in rp, i've only ever done arena or closed scenario type setups where i'm testing a character against various opponents in order to gain "actual" combat and personality data for use in stories or game sessions. the effect is much like brainstorming by a canyon with an echo, except it doesn't repeat what you say. ^^

Soft Serve
10-15-2011, 04:25 PM
except it doesn't repeat what you say. ^^

Nice.

Otakar
11-27-2011, 06:57 PM
Vulture, there's one Solo 4E adventure. If you're interested I'll try to dig up the PDF. I used it for a one-on-one and it was fun. There's also a section in the DMG about an impromptu dungeon. I think playing online would be more fun. Good luck.