PDA

View Full Version : Players's Choice (Deadlands, Dragon Age, Savage Worlds, or Warhammer 3e)

SJBenoist
10-07-2011, 02:59 PM
How about an experiment? Let's see if it is possible to recruit a group for something other than D&D/Pathfinder.
I have all of the games listed below ready to be run for a short (2-4 session) adventure. If you are interested in any of these, please reply and let me know which ones, and your availability. If I get 3 people for any of them, we'll play and see how it goes. This way, you get to try a game (and the group) with a very short commitment and then decide if it is something you'd like to stick with, or not.

(In alphabetical order):

Deadlands (Old West/Horror)
This one uses playing cards, poker chips, and lots of dice in it's mechanics. Pretty much everything has it's own subsystem, but you only need to know the ones YOUR character uses, the real work is on the GM.

Dragon Age (Fantasy)
Very simple, easy to learn game. Character creation is quick, and we can jump into the action in no time. Pretty fleshed out game-world, already familiar if you have played the video game. Somewhat dark fantasy where gray moral choices are a focus.

Hell on Earth (Post-Apocalyptic)
Same mechanics as Deadlands, but more like "Road Warrior" than a Clint Eastwood movie.

Savage Worlds (many settings to choose from)
Very tactical system. Lots of moving cardboard counters on a map, and some BIG battles. It plays like a simple miniatures skirmish game in combat. Plenty of opportunity to be creative in combat.
Settings include Horror/Vietnam, Fantasy/Pirates, Zombie Apocalypse, Victorian Horror, Fantasy, and more.

Warhammer 3e (Fantasy)
Abstracted system that keeps a lot player choice. Tons of components to assist the players & GM. Unique dice system that describes your success/failures in the roll.

So? Any interest? Should I have listed a Super Hero game? Feel free to respond with a game I did not list. I'd be curious to see what people actually were wanting to play.

Thanks!

Bloodangel
10-08-2011, 07:11 AM
I'd be interested in deadlands, savageworlds or hell on earth. That exact order. If your looking for systems zombi is good. Barbarians of lemuria. Broadsword, and atomic highway are all rules light games oh and chaoisum CoC 6e would be cool.

chownus
10-08-2011, 04:26 PM
I've played Savage Worlds a few times and it wasn't my cup of tea, however I have always wanted to try Deadlands or Hell on Earth. I'm a big fan of the survival horror genre.

SJBenoist
10-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Two responses pretty fast, this may actually work better than I had hoped :)

Bloodangel
10-09-2011, 09:55 AM
fyi deadlands runs the same way savage worlds run for the most part. depends on the setting. savage worlds has a ton of content like supers, pulp, horror, scifi, fantasy, you name it it probably has it.

---------- Post added at 09:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

What day(s) times where you looking at getting something together? Im free Thursdays and Fridays for the most part. Weekends can be a bit rough Saturdays work better for me. Any time after 3:20 pm

SJBenoist
10-09-2011, 10:14 AM
There is some variance between Savage Worlds & Deadlands (no Wild die, variable Target #'s, mini dice-pools, the way actions/initiative works, Wind, 10 attributes instead of 4, Chips are different than bennies, etc.). They are similar, but not the same, and they play pretty differently. I would say Deadlands is lot more gritty, more detailed, and more unforgiving on the players.

I suppose Time would depend on who wants to play, and any common availability we all have. My availability is pretty flexible with 3 exceptions, namely Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday after 2:30PM. I have my daughter on those evenings, and since she is only 1, it's impossible for me to do anything that requires my attention. Aside from that, I can make arrangements for most any other time.

Bloodangel
10-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Either way. So that would just leave Thursdays for me. Sundays I go to a DnD group. How many players were you looking for? I can ask around and see if anyone wants in on something other than dnd or pathfinder. Ive also been trying to set up a CoC or Zombie apoc campaign for awhile.

Just keep us updated.

SJBenoist
10-09-2011, 11:43 AM
I'd like to play with at least 4, and I know at least one person, possibly two, who may be interested. Last time I recruited a game online a couple of people did not show, so I figured 1 or 2 more should give us enough to try. If you know anyone, they would be welcome.

Assuming everything goes well and we want to continue gaming, I have another two guys would probably be highly interested in any Walking Dead style game. I purchased "War of the Dead" for Savage Worlds with them in mind. I'm open to exploring options.

Bloodangel
10-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Right on. I have a Call of Cthulhu campaign written and a zombie campaign written so depending on who things go I guess we can go from there. After everything is figured out.

not trying to railroad your post or hijack it. just setting out a possibility. IF all goes well

Bloodangel
10-16-2011, 10:08 AM
I take it you arent getting many other bites? have you tried posting on meetup.com thetangledweb.net, stlgamers?

chownus
10-17-2011, 04:01 PM
any more development on this? :D

SJBenoist
10-20-2011, 02:33 PM
No other replies, sadly. Looks like it's Pathfinder/4e or nothing these days.

Bloodangel
10-21-2011, 12:11 AM
That sucks. I would have liked to see something other than d20/fantasy.... i guess people dont really know what they are missing.