PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy campaign in Indy where setting is created cooperatively with players.

Davout
09-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Experienced D&D (editions 1 & 2) GM looking for players. I would like to try Fantasy Craft (similar to D&D 3.x).

The actual setting will be developed cooperatively with all players and myself using Microscope RPG. I have a starting map. The history, cultures, and races will be developed. Starting setting palette includes but not exclusive to:
All elves have been corrupted by an evil force (No Drow)
No Halflings/Perch
World has a strong tie with the elemental planes.

Our playing style is:
50% Combat
35% Story Development
15% Role Playing (Acting)

The game will occur once per month either on Saturday or Sunday.

Thanks.

Davout
09-20-2011, 07:45 PM
Play style and goal questions:

Rank the following in order that matches your playing style:
• ____ Accumulating Cool powers: Enjoying the acquisition of loot/powers, planning a character many levels in advance.
• ____ Kicking Butt: Enjoying combat for the sake of inflicting mayhem and destruction on foes.
• ____ Brilliant Planning: Enjoying combat for the sake of winning, beating foes with brains and tactics.
• ____ Puzzle Solvers: Resolving riddles, short puzzles or longer investigation type puzzles.
• ____ Playing a favorite role: Seeking the same class/themes/roles campaign after campaign.
• ____ Super Coolness: Being a badass and be able to show it often.
• ____ Story: Enjoys exploring a story unfold around a character’s actions and choices.
• ____ Actor: Seeking to explore and develop a character from an internal perspective.
• ____ Irresponsibility: Being able to create trouble without having to deal with real-world consequence (ex: jumping off the rails and go wild!)
• ____ Setting Exploration: Seeking new horizons in a setting and learning the lore of in game
objects, locales and events.
• ____ The Outlier: Seeking the emotional kick of subverting a group’s dynamic by creating weird characters or actively seeking failure.
• ____ Lurker: No clear goal or motivation except to show up at the game and participate.

Please indicate which of the following responses best matches your expectation for missions:
• I’m okay with failing a side mission.
• I’m okay with failing a mission related to the overall campaign goals.
• I’m okay with failing a mission related to the overall campaign goals, but only if it isn’t too hard to fix the failure.
• I’m okay with failing an overall campaign mission thus far (e.g., prevent a gate from forming to an evil plane) as long as we get new related goals (e.g., fight what comes through the gate and then close the gate).
• I’m okay with failing a mission related to the overall campaign goals as long as we get new goals and those goals may be unrelated (e.g., survive the demon horde pouring through the gate; save/protect the McGuffin from the demon horde).
• I’m only okay with failing side missions that are tangentially or only loosely related to main goals. Beyond that, I like a GM to keep us moving closer to a successful completion of the over all goal.
• I’m okay with failing. Period. Even the whole campaign.
• Though I know the party won’t be perfect, I really need every mission to end with at least a modicum of success.
• I prefer the party to set its own goals and don’t want a given goal in the GM’s mind before we create characters or before we start a mission.

When has it been okay or even fun for your character to die in a game? (Check all that apply.)
• Never. How could that even be fun?
• When the character can be resurrected and eventually catch up to other characters in power level.
• When it forwarded a plot overall or made a very dramatic enjoyable scene.
• When the GM thought we made serious mistakes and the dice dictating it.
• When I got an awesome death monologue.
• When I had something else to do at the table afterward.
• The acceptability of character death is inversely proportional to the amount of time it takes to create a new character.
• Character death is more acceptable the longer and more successful my character has been.
• Character death is less acceptable the longer and more successful my character has been.
• Character death appropriateness is based on my character. If I play a cautious, careful, combat avoid, and combat savvy character, I expect those traits to help the character live longer. If I play a reckless foolish character, I expect death to catch up to the character
eventually.
• It is okay to me if other characters die for character/story reasons but not if it affects my character too much.

When we start the campaign, I want my character to be able to:
• Influence a small group of people known to him or her
• Influence events in a small group
• Influence events on a local level (neighborhood or small town)
• Influence a large city
• Influence a state or region
• Influence a country
• Influence a world
• Influence a plane
• Influence the fabric of reality

By the time we finish a campaign, I want my character to be able to:
• Influence a small group of people known to him or her
• Influence events in a small group
• Influence events on a local level (neighborhood or small town)
• Influence a large city
• Influence a state or region
• Influence a country
• Influence a world
• Influence a plane
• Influence the fabric of reality

How fast do you like your character’s power level to develop?
• I like to see power development every session.
• I like to see power development every few sessions.
• I like to see power development a couple of times a year.
• Power development is not as important to me as character development.

How realistic do you like character mortality to be?
• Realistic: A point blank shot to the head should be fatal almost every time even for PCs.
• Heroic: For most people in the world a point blank shot to the head would be fatal but not for my character.
• Realistic or Heroic as above but with faster healing to keep the game moving and my character in the story.
• Cinematic: A point blank shot should kill, but the bad guy flinched and grazed me instead. Then I knocked him out and grabbed the gun out of the air and turned it on him before he even hit the ground.
• Superhero: My skull flattens bullets.

What kind of overarching campaign goals interest you. Pick your top 3:
• Halt a danger to a home town
• Fight a war of defense
• Be loyal to an organization (get orders, fulfill missions)
• Stop an evil organization/evil overlord
• Save the world/universe
• Stop the internal power grab within my organization/country
• Build up the power/wealth/status of my loyal patron
• Explore the world
• Conquer
• Avenge the wronged
• Protect the weak
• Build my power and the power of my friends

I like playing in a game where:
• Scene A leads to Scene B leads to Scene C, and our success or failure in each leads to how difficult the next scene will be but not whether the next scene will be.
• Where the adventure starts with Scene A and leads to Scene D, but where, when, how and whether B and C come about is up to the players.
• Where the adventure starts with Scene A and leads to goal D, but the path between those points is up to the players.
• Where the adventure starts with Scene A, and from there the players are free to set, change and accomplish their own goals.