PDA

View Full Version : Magic Items for D&D3.5

Moritz
04-26-2007, 04:53 PM
As Farcaster suggested in another subforum, I'm sharing a few pages of magic items listed in excel format for general consumption. Enjoy:
click me (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/www.mxtreme.mushpark.com/mo/newmagicitems.xls)

InfoStorm
11-08-2007, 11:43 AM
Stingy Coin Purse
This strange device is similar to a bag of holding, except that it is the size of a belt pouch. It acts and functions like a normal pouch, with an identical capacity, except when it comes to coins. Any number of coins can be placed into the belt pouch and it will never fill, or gain weight. The drawback to this amazing coin capacity is that coins can be retrieved from the purse at a maximum rate of 1 coin each day. It also only gives coins back from the lowest value to the highest value. If a coin is not taken out on any given day, it spits out the previous days unclaimed coin to make room for the current days coin. For most purses this happens at dawn. Not even a wish or miracle spell can speed up the retrieval of the coins placed inside.
Most purses are found empty buried under a pile of coins, long abandoned by their frustrated users, while others may spit out a copper piece each day for decades to come before changing to silver or even gold coins. Legends exist of some purses that have an entire kingdom treasury having been place inside of them by overprotective rulers, only to have been lost when their kingdoms fell.
Requirements to create: Same as Bag of Holding I

Revolt268
11-08-2007, 03:37 PM
I actually think that one is pretty cool idea. It offers alot of potental in stories. Most of the time, I don't find items to be to over power as long as the requirements to use them, what you have to do to get them, or the consiquences for using them are just as powerful. For example, a group may have to kill a high level Red dragon who has made his home on top of the bag and its coins. Also, its not like the bag creates money, just spits is out slowly...very slowly. Which would annoy alot of players I know, so I don't see many players using this on as storage for their coins.

Riftwalker
11-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Isn't there some rule that says if you put a bag of holding into a portable hole it destroys both but the contents get lost in the Astral Plane or something? I'd have to look it up.

Moritz
11-09-2007, 07:43 AM
If I pulled this on some of my former players (Sam/Clay), you wouldn't hear the end to the whining. It'd be like whining in Carlsbad Caverns, a constant annoying echo - Or hanging out with a 12 year old little girl who thinks she should be the center of the universe and isn't getting her way.

The Wandering Bard
11-09-2007, 06:08 PM
That magical bag is MEAN!!!!!! I tell you what, for the first couple of sessions that I had the bag would have been fun or I would have tried to be creative. after about a week of getting a FLIPPING copper out of the thing I would have knifed the crap out of the bag just to save my sanity, and relieve my frustration.

InfoStorm
11-12-2007, 12:58 PM
First: I know that the Coin purse is mean/evil, but I plan on it being a 1st level party treasure with an NPC warning them about it. If I ever strip them of their gear from various plots, I'll leave it discarded and easily found.

Second: What would the plus value of this weapon ability be? +1 or +2?
Touching: Any touched ranged spell who's charge can be held can be applied to the next single attack made by this weapon. The casting of the spell still takes it's normal duration and provoked Attacks of Opportunity as normal. This ability can only be applied to melee weapons, and not thrown weapons or projectiles.

The wording probably needs a little work, I know.

PhishStyx
11-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Why would someone make that?

Moritz
11-12-2007, 01:07 PM
Just being mean?

Just cause they can?

How about, the person who created it knows the trigger to make the bag barf up everything and can sense the bag. Therefore, follow the bag, steal it, collect the loot, sell the bag again for more profit in the future.

InfoStorm
11-12-2007, 03:02 PM
1. They were actually created by a metalic dragon, the coins placed in the bag appear in the dragon's horde. It inflates the dragon's horde while in all intense purposes it is only borrowing the coins.
1b. replace the dragon with a tax collector, where the coins go straight to the kingdom's vaults, but allows the embesselor to take coins slowly back out, at a rate that may not be noticed.

2. An evil advisor made is as a method to bankrupt a kingdom so he could take control. It would answer yes or no to divinitations such as, "Are the coins placed in the bag safe from theft? (yes)" and so on to get past the kingdom's other protectors. As the advisor was planning on becoming a lich, it knew it would eventually get the coins back during it's ageless life.

3. A king wizard made it as a reward for the services of a pesant, filling it with enough silver so that they pesants family will always have enough money for food for several generations, while preventing them from spending it unwisely.

4. It could be a mag made by fey as a practical joke. They would think the reactions of adventurers a complete laugh and a lesson against greed.

dormcook
11-25-2007, 06:10 PM
It may just be a cursed item.
Not all magical items end in success.
The origanal item would have been a magical bag of holding which lets you reach in and retrieve the exact amount of money you wish.
When the final magics were laid, it zigged when it should have zagged and walla, evil magic purse.
I like it.

Digital Arcanist
11-25-2007, 11:48 PM
voila!

PhishStyx
11-25-2007, 11:50 PM
voila!

Now you're just pointlessly spamming.

Moritz
12-04-2007, 10:14 AM
Spammer!

He's a bot, just like me. :)

Digital Arcanist
12-04-2007, 10:20 AM
Yes...I am an Edutron 9000 specializing in correcting poor linguistics skills

Malruhn
12-07-2007, 10:45 PM
How about this one being possibly too evil?

Magical Ring of Wonder.

When the wearer first puts the ring on, they are immediately filled with amazement and understand everything they need to know about this great ring. It is VERY powerful, VERY valuable, and no matter what - it is THEIR ring, and nobody will ever take it from them.

Officially, the ring does nothing but take up a ring slot. However, the wearer will waggle it in front of nobles' noses like a newly engaged woman. SOME day, when they feel right about the person (i.e.: NEVER), they will get the ring identified, but not before.

I've used this for almost three decades - once per group I've been with - and all agree that it is deliciously evil, but not too bad. What sayest thous guys (and gals)?

rabkala
12-08-2007, 01:03 AM
How about this one being possibly too evil?

Magical Ring of Wonder.

When the wearer first puts the ring on, they are immediately filled with amazement and understand everything they need to know about this great ring. It is VERY powerful, VERY valuable, and no matter what - it is THEIR ring, and nobody will ever take it from them.

Officially, the ring does nothing but take up a ring slot. However, the wearer will waggle it in front of nobles' noses like a newly engaged woman. SOME day, when they feel right about the person (i.e.: NEVER), they will get the ring identified, but not before.

I've used this for almost three decades - once per group I've been with - and all agree that it is deliciously evil, but not too bad. What sayest thous guys (and gals)?
That sounds like 90% of the magic items I ran into with my first DM in the old days. Evil, but believably evil. You would never catch me with something like that now days.

rabkala
12-08-2007, 01:22 AM
Yes...I am an Edutron 9000 specializing in correcting poor linguistics skills
I don't mind a little correcting from time to time, but I guess I could see how it could be irritating after awhile. I try not to correct others anymore, because there are just too many people who are far too busy to use a spellchecker and flunked English because they speak 'American'. It is far better to never improve yourself.

I think I was going to say something, but after my off topic rant I can't think of it.

Oh, well. I like Magical 3.5 edition Pie!

nijineko
10-23-2008, 09:43 PM
Stingy Coin Purse
This strange device is similar to a bag of holding, except that it is the size of a belt pouch. It acts and functions like a normal pouch, with an identical capacity, except when it comes to coins. Any number of coins can be placed into the belt pouch and it will never fill, or gain weight. The drawback to this amazing coin capacity is that coins can be retrieved from the purse at a maximum rate of 1 coin each day. It also only gives coins back from the lowest value to the highest value. If a coin is not taken out on any given day, it spits out the previous days unclaimed coin to make room for the current days coin. For most purses this happens at dawn. Not even a wish or miracle spell can speed up the retrieval of the coins placed inside.
Most purses are found empty buried under a pile of coins, long abandoned by their frustrated users, while others may spit out a copper piece each day for decades to come before changing to silver or even gold coins. Legends exist of some purses that have an entire kingdom treasury having been place inside of them by overprotective rulers, only to have been lost when their kingdoms fell.
Requirements to create: Same as Bag of Holding I

i like it. i also like the suggestion about it being a practical joke by some fey. sounds just like something that they would do. ^^

as for me, the first thing i thought of was to place it in a demiplane that has an accelerated time scale. or the astral plane where no time passes at all.... ;D

upidstay
11-04-2008, 06:40 PM
The link for the site in the original would not work. Always interested in new and cool magic items. Please re-post it.

nijineko
11-04-2008, 09:10 PM
i'm fond of this one myself...

http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=76&pictureid=430

ssveter
06-30-2009, 01:34 PM
Something I came up with for a evil female fighter, and yes magic studded leather armor.

Ishcumbeebeeda
07-29-2009, 05:30 PM
How about, the person who created it knows the trigger to make the bag barf up everything and can sense the bag. Therefore, follow the bag, steal it, collect the loot, sell the bag again for more profit in the future.

HA! That's an awesome idea!

Baldwin Stonewood
07-30-2009, 08:16 PM
Something I came up with for a evil female fighter, and yes magic studded leather armor.

I like this.

endomorphious
12-28-2010, 09:47 AM
awesome magic item with awesome subtext ideas...particularly like the idea of it going to a dragons hoard and the fey prank item...sooooo Im adding it into my campaign as the creation of a cursed faery dragon trapped in Ravenloft.