PDA

View Full Version : The Legacy of North (Classic Rolemaster in Shadow World)

Ghist
09-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Campaign: The legacy of North
Setting: Shadow World
Game system: Classic Rolemaster (also known as RM2)
Session frequency: Weekly on Saturday evening (4:30 PM, 4-6 hours).

Initial starting area of the campaign is rather remote area thus it will limit players choices on races and professions(same as class on some other games). The campaign will be gritty high fantasy, but starts in somewhat isolated area without characters having extensive knowledge of the world. Most of the characters will know each other at the start of the campaign. More options for characters will open during the campaign as they learn more of the world and other cultures and start to understand what is going on around them. Each character will get their own version of background information. I also have a general Campaign primer document to share which describes available professions, races etc.

Only one spot is open, the campaign has 3 players at the moment after 2 players had to drop out due to moving and lack of available time. The plan is to have 1 playing session per week on Saturday evenings. Session length will be between 4 and 6 hours. We are ok with having 2-3 sessions per month so this does not eat all Saturdays. Previous knowledge of Classic Rolemaster is not required but it helps a bit. In many ways not knowing everything about the system can make it more fun when discovering new things during the game.

The system:

The Classic Rolemaster with some options and rules from Companion books
Previous knowledge of Rolemaster is not required, I can help with learning the system
I have a campaign primer document which lists all available professions (classes) and races
Almost all actions are done with rolling D100 (2 x D10 essentially, one dice set as 10s)
The system itself is a lot of work for GM/DM but not too difficult for the players
Due to the brutality of criticals against players, I will roll those always twice selecting the lower result.

What kind of players Iím looking for:

Over 20, but over 25 preferred. Generally mature people. (group ranges from 20+ to 40+)
You need to be willing to learn a completely new system, with few core rules, but many unique abilities. I'll talk you through it and answer any questions you have. Rolemaster is heavy for the GM, not the player.
To be able to participate 3+ gaming sessions per month, each which runs for 4-6 hours on Saturday evening
If you smoke, Iím fine with small breaks, just donít smoke inside.

Group makeup (suggestion, not a rule):

We currently have Warrior, Druid and Ranger(used to be rogue until change of heart). This pretty much leaves the class of the 4th player open and offers freedom to choose among the options offered.

Other information:

Campaign has its own site which I can grant access which details the story so far. We have had 3 session so far on the campaign so it is still just starting up.

cosmicimp
09-09-2011, 08:37 AM
Hello!
I am in the area, but have not gamed in several years. I have played an extensive Rolemaster campaign in the past. If you have room for another player, I would be highly interested.

Thanks!
Tracey

Ghist
09-09-2011, 09:21 AM
Hello!
I am in the area, but have not gamed in several years. I have played an extensive Rolemaster campaign in the past. If you have room for another player, I would be highly interested.

Thanks!
Tracey

I have one confirmed player and one tentative one at the moment so there is room. I'll contact you on private message today to talk about the game and making a character.

Ghist
09-12-2011, 01:33 AM
Based on the current interest we have 3 spots out of 5 filled at this point unless players withdraw their participation for some reason.

I have finished material for character creation, Next I will compile a list of optional rules we will be using and describe the house rules in effect as well.

Next steps for players will be creating characters and establishing their backgrounds. I have some additional material from background point of view for each player based on their race and profession choice.

Ghist
09-15-2011, 10:55 AM
Hello!

Thanks!
Tracey

Did you ever get my message?

We have 3 confirmed players and you as unconfirmed at the moment. So we have room for 1 more player atm.

Ghist
09-19-2011, 02:14 PM
We have 4 confirmed players. I have updated the first post to reflect that. Still room for one more player.

cosmicimp
05-23-2012, 01:20 PM
Hello, Ghist!
Sorry I got lost for a while. School, work, and moving took a toll on my spare time. Are you still running the game?

Ghist
02-20-2013, 06:34 PM
Hello, Ghist!
Sorry I got lost for a while. School, work, and moving took a toll on my spare time. Are you still running the game?

The campaign did not end up starting at the original planned time. I'm trying to start it again by the end of March. I have updated the original post with the details as well. You would be welcome.

akela122301
02-21-2013, 05:00 PM
I live in Arlington, and would be willing to learn Rolemaster. The only problem in my case is transportation. But, if someone were willing to pick me up, I'd love to join in.

Ghist
02-21-2013, 07:59 PM
I live in Arlington, and would be willing to learn Rolemaster. The only problem in my case is transportation. But, if someone were willing to pick me up, I'd love to join in.

Arlington is not too far away, I could possibly pick you up few times a month. Hopefully there will be someone else too coming from that direction as well. How's the traffic on I30?

akela122301
02-21-2013, 09:11 PM
Typically, the traffic is decent. And, if it is ever a problem, you can easily shoot down Lamar Ave to/from 360.

Ghist
03-19-2013, 09:14 AM
Campaign info updated with session time and there is room for one more player. Game will start on March 30th even if we do not get a 5th player.

Randalthor66
03-21-2013, 03:51 AM
Dude, I know it has been a while, but if the game* I am trying to put together doesn't work - or we go to a different night, currently Saturday - I would love to jump in this, but I would have to do it by skype. (Something I have never done, but am willing to try because I would love to play in a Kulthean Rolemaster game. It is sometimes like pulling teeth to get people to play RM.)

*My campaign is also set in the north on Shadow World, specifically northern Jamain, the Quellbourne area; the PCs just arriving on Kulthea via Flow Storm (that way they don't need to know anything about the setting - which they don't) in the ruins of Quellbourne. I am having them arrive there for a couple of reasons: one, it is isolated and means they have to do a bit of survival-type adventuring first, and, second, it means when they finally get to civilization (probably Kelfour's Landing) they have some important knowledge that they can use to their benefit. (They might even have some items to sell.)

Ghist
03-22-2013, 08:36 AM
Dude, I know it has been a while, but if the game* I am trying to put together doesn't work - or we go to a different night, currently Saturday - I would love to jump in this, but I would have to do it by skype. (Something I have never done, but am willing to try because I would love to play in a Kulthean Rolemaster game. It is sometimes like pulling teeth to get people to play RM.)

*My campaign is also set in the north on Shadow World, specifically northern Jamain, the Quellbourne area; the PCs just arriving on Kulthea via Flow Storm (that way they don't need to know anything about the setting - which they don't) in the ruins of Quellbourne. I am having them arrive there for a couple of reasons: one, it is isolated and means they have to do a bit of survival-type adventuring first, and, second, it means when they finally get to civilization (probably Kelfour's Landing) they have some important knowledge that they can use to their benefit. (They might even have some items to sell.)

Unfortunately this is not an online game, so Skype is out of the question. Your campaign sounds a lot like the Stormriders book, I assume you have read it.

Randalthor66
03-23-2013, 09:41 AM
Unfortunately this is not an online game, so Skype is out of the question. Your campaign sounds a lot like the Stormriders book, I assume you have read it.Yeah, I have read it, and I am sure that influenced my concept a bit, but basically I have always liked the fish out of water theme, in movies, books, and games. (If you have ever seen the old 80's movie, Gotcha!, then you know what I mean.)

Anyway, it looks like my game is going to happen, so yay! Have a great game! I wouldn't mind hearing about it, and if you like I can write about mine - maybe we can steal ideas off each other.

Ghist
05-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Still looking for one more player, since we lost one player to moving and one for issues with available time. We currently have Warrior, Druid and Ranger(used to be rogue until change of heart). This pretty much leaves the class of the 4th player open and offers freedom to choose among the options offered.