PDA

View Full Version : What makes a roleplaying game worth playing?

Stig Knuden
08-27-2011, 05:00 AM
Hi :)

I have been working on a roleplaying game for a couple of years now, improving it from game session to game session based on my own thoughts and the feedback I got from the players. Some time ago, I decided that I want to publish the game at some point, when I think it is ready. This created some problems, because I have never played a published rpg for more than one session, and I do not know many players who have.
This is were you come in. I hope you guys can give me some pointers towards what you expect and look fore in a standalone rulebook for a roleplaying game you never have played before. I hope you can help me :)

DMMike
08-27-2011, 02:36 PM
1 - Really good/inspirational artwork, or really bad artwork that evokes memories (that few people have) of the earliest D&D books.
2 - Simplicity. Explain things fast and simply, or make them really easy to find. I don't want to search for five minutes to find out what's in a treasure box, or whether my goblin can use a huge sword.
3 - Survivability. A good rulebook won't crumble after six months of heavy use.

Malruhn
08-27-2011, 05:27 PM
I'd like to reinforce DMMike's #2 point.

When he says "simplicity" - don't make it simple for gamers - make it simple for NON-GAMERS! If Billy Stonghead, the local linebacker, can understand what to do after the first read, then you've done it well. Don't count on "insider knowledge" winning the day for your descriptions. There are WAY too many games that leave veteran gamers totally confused - and have new gamers running for their soccer balls to escape the madness.

Sascha
08-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Yep, that's the main comment I have, too. A book that's difficult* to read won't fill me with enthusiasm for that game.

* "Difficult" here being not only what's being discussed already - the ease of understanding what's being said - but also physical issues, like font, color choices or background images interfering with actually reading the text.

Malruhn
08-28-2011, 11:09 PM
I don't recall which game it was, but I remember the books having this GREAT watermarked, brown background on the pages - and an off-brown font color... and the letters and background bled together to the point that it was almost unreadable.

BOTH were great ideas - but they didn't work well together.