PDA

View Full Version : Board game playtesters needed: Survival of the Fittest, AARRGGHH!!

yukonhorror
08-17-2011, 08:30 AM
I thought about posting this at www.boardgamegeek.com, but they are SUPER jerks. The community here is nice.

I know board games aren't really pen and paper games, but I figure they are close enough to draw interest.

I have an idea for a board game (ability drafting, combat, resource management, variable point earning) and I am GOING to need playtesters. If interested, I'll send you the VASSAL module to play online (going the cheap cheap route).

In short:

"Survival of the Fittest, AARRGGHH!!"
As a lowly lizard you must adapt or die. By challenging other creatures and using your God-given intelligence (which isn't much), you will evolve from your beginning state to that of a mighty dinosaur. Will you show your dominance through sheer force, with blinding speed, or the staying power of a large boulder? It is up to you to decide your fate as a species. Don't forget though, that looming extinction is close at hand, so you better be quick.

In short, you'll buy better parts to evolve, kill other creatures for currency and healing, etc...

PM me if interested. I don't have it available right now, but as soon as I do, it will be sent. As a playtester though, I ask you to not just play the game, but play the game and take notes. What works, what doesn't. What was fun, what was tedious. Too long, too short. This doesn't cost enough, this costs TOO much, etc...

My goals for the game:
Fun for 2-4 players (especially 2 though, as that is the hardest)
Quick (with setup, play, and scoring, done within an hour)
Quick turn around (each players turn is SHORT and there is a lack of analysis paralysis)
Replay-ability (each game is different game to game that it keeps things interesting)
Easy to understand (easy to learn, easy to teach, and minimal to remember after one or two plays)
Quick decisions with long term effect - ties into quick turn around, but those decisions mean something for the rest of the game
Balanced - there is no TRUE way to win. Varied strategies can equally lead to victory.

cplmac
08-18-2011, 11:58 AM
To bad you aren't closer. Could have you bring it to a game meeting that we would be doing board games because of not enough of the group being available to play the RPG that day.

yukonhorror
08-18-2011, 03:04 PM
ACTUALLY, I am working on making a vassal file (so the game can be played online). It could always be a fun arts and crafts project, but there is about 250 cards (not counting tokens and such).

As for board games in general, yeah, I have been on a BG kick for a while. Apparently my area has a very large gathering of enthusiasts (but the place they rent out costs and doesn't allow anyone under 12, so I have to leave the daughter and wife at home and pay if I want to participate).

But the people at boardgamegeek are jerktacular (or hitleriffic if you prefer), so thought I'd ask around here. Mainly need help on the numbers. Costing things out is total guesswork for me.

yukonhorror
03-22-2012, 09:39 AM
I have updated the game (and did some major reworking). If you want the hard copy (a power point you will need to print out and cut up) or the digital copy (VASSAL module), give me a hollar.