PDA

View Full Version : Rise of the Firelord

Monnock
08-09-2011, 10:33 PM
We are a group looking for more players to play in a customcampaign setting set in an early Renaissance time period. The gamewill start out at level 1 and work its way up to level 20 through the course of four acts. We usually game from about 1:00 pm till 8:00 pm, depending on circumstances, every Saturday. It is not uncommon for usto play longer games.

Our preference is roughly 50/50 role-playing and combat. The game will tend towards this middle ground. The role-playing aspect will not focus on high realism, and instead deal more with social interactions with the world and with each of the other players. The combat aspect will be highly varied, and a wide array of different monsters and challenges will await the players, so it will not just be fighting an endless hoard of one kind of monster the entire game. It is quite likely that one game session may be combat heavy while another game session is social heavy.

Characters in this particular game are encouraged to be of theNeutral or Good alignment, as the story arc focuses on the players asheroes. Working together to come up with characters is also encouraged by myself but not enforced obviously. We are more than happy to listen to character concepts if you wish to bounce them off of us. That is not to say that we would not allow comedic characters, however multidimensional characters would be more appropriate than ones based off of a simple gimmick.

The rough backstory for this setting (so far) is that about 2000 years ago a demonic invasion into their realm occurred. Ancient elves created a mighty army of golems to do battle with them, but the onslaught of the infernal armies were too great.

For one thousand years the realms were ruled over by the FireLord, a devil of great power that allowed his minions to ravage the lands. Most of the races of the world went into hiding and ecked out a living on the fringes of the hellish kingdom. It was not until a great hero made a pact with Bahamut, and forged an alliance with the good dragons of the world, that the races of the realms were able to push back and finally banish the Fire Lord to the Infernal planes.

Two hundred fifty years ago a cult that worshiped the Fire Lord as a god managed to bring the Fire Lord back. Most of the great dragons that once fought the Fire Lord and his armies were gone from the world by this time, so it was up to the races that were left to do battle on their own. A powerful mage, with the sacrifice of the last remaining great gold dragon, allowed the Fire Lord to be sealed away this time instead of banished. The world was safe once more.

In the current age, the player's home kingdom has been embroiled in a war with their neighboring kingdom, and a dark storm has been looming over the region for the last several months. With the kingdom's army away there was little to stop various factions from making their move on former territories that the humans stole from them.

So now it is up to the players to restore some sense of stability to the small region they are in, and perhaps along the way find outmore about the Fire Lord and his minions that still plague the world to this day.

AyJayATL
08-10-2011, 03:52 PM
I haven't played 3.5 since 4e came out, but a game is a game...I just won't grapple ;-). I live right up Barnett Shoals near the Elementary School. I would be interested in learning more about your group. Are you gathering enough players for your campaign? What is the age make-up of your group?

Allen

Monnock
08-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Our group has been gaming together ever since high school, and we are all now 25-26, so it's been a while. Two of us are huge Star Wars nerds, and the third crafted his own D20 based D&D system in his spare time. To pass time between games, we usually play board games, console games, or sometimes Magic the Gathering with some cards that we've had for years.

Right now I'm trying to get at least one more person before I launch into a new campaign just to have a fresh face in the mix. I was planning on running a Star Wars Saga Edition game this weekend to pass the time until we found more players. If you are interested, you are more than welcome to join us to see what kind of people we are.

Just let me know if you have any questions.

Monnock
08-11-2011, 02:56 PM
By the way, the short game does not have to be Star Wars Saga Edition. If you would like to attend but would rather not be in a Star Wars game then I can run something else. Since this would just be a sort of 'warm up' game I'm flexible with what system it is in.

I could even run the warm up game in 4e if that is what you would be most comfortable with. We have played games in all sorts of different systems. The last game we had was actually set in 4th edition.

We decided to go back to 3.5e for the game that I have planned mostly because that is what we found we preferred. On that note, you will find that you are not the only one that does not feel at home in a grapple under 3rd edition rules.

If you enjoy gaming with us, then I will start the campaign I described above the next session.