PDA

View Full Version : Neoclassical Geek Revival

Zzarchov
08-09-2011, 08:14 PM
After years of alpha and beta testing, as well as tonnes of updates, I am pleased to announce the release of Neoclassical Geek Revival. Previously this had the working title of "Piecemeal". Below is the foreword from the game:

Foreword
Hello reader, and welcome to Neoclassical Geek Revival (NGR). NGR is a fantasy heartbreaker RPG; it does what you would expect out of a traditional fantasy role-playing game. While NGR will work as a complete game I have no doubt it will rarely be played as such; This game is designed expecting that you will most likely see things in this game you would like to remove and plug into your own game rather than playing it whole cloth.
This game is designed to simulate low magic fantasy, but most mechanics are equally at home in a science fiction, action or post-apocalyptic game. The rules are designed to be as setting neutral as possible while solving commonly held gripes and bad tropes. In the writing of this game I used the following as guiding principles:

1.) Funny dice are fun on their own merits
2.) Choices to make are better than problems to solve
3.) You are already familiar with role playing games
4.) You are not looking for gritty realism, but do enjoy the presence of the ‘fourth wall’
5.) Gaming is meant to be entertainment

The game features many useful rules for pluging into your own game.

- Improved stealth and social conflict resolution systems that give equal strategic depth as combat in most games. This means it is not a one roll resolution and that all classes can participate.
- An improved "build a class" section. Simple and easy to use its the "Pie" system.
- A distinct difference between priest miracles and wizard magic. Both are better mechanically than what you will find in most role-playing games.
- A simple and yet useful encumbrance system. Easy to plug into any game where you don't want players doing complicated math, but also don't want characters carrying everything.
- An improved HP system

I strongly recommend checking out the blog http://zzarchov.blogspot.com for more detailed discussion of the various aspects of the game. I also routinely host games at ConstantCon, the unending use of G+ hangouts to run games. Look for me (Zzarchov Kowloski) on G+ if you wish to play some Neoclassical Geek Revival.

Currently attached are the quick start guide (Dawn of the Dork Ages) and the character sheet. The full ruleset will soon be included, however it will take some final layout changes to move between the Print Layout and a PDF Layout. Hard Cover books will always be available at cost should you wish them, but I ask that you not print any bound copies yourself as I am very particular about quality.

Cover:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-I6dt1lQZCls/Tkmv5CG5GAI/AAAAAAAAAHs/125P2g5QPAI/s1600/Cover.JPG

And interior:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-uFLpOVrf0Wo/TkmwTS7UW2I/AAAAAAAAAH8/00u1FHkcYm8/s1600/OpenBook.JPG

UPDATE:

The 2012 release is being prepped. Pen and Paper gamer's are getting access to the new OSR conversion guide and the new character sheet early! Thanks for all your support!

Zzarchov
08-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Note if anyone wants a full PDF for use in gaming before I get the web version finished shoot me a PM with your email and I can sent you a PDF of the print version.