PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Realms - D&D 3.5

Vision9000
08-09-2011, 12:50 AM
Hailing interested players for a D&D 3.5 campaign of high fantasy, inspired by numerous fantasy/sci-fi works (see list at the bottom).

Next Game: Friday, Sep 23, 2011 @ 6 pm PDT duration ~4hrs

Online Tools: Ventrilo, Hamachi, d20Pro

Adventure: Destruction and Deliverance

Current Player List

Macgreine - Tenamore (Human Paladin)
Valthos - Kaldrich (Human Swordsage)
CoryFenrir - Wiz (Catfolk Magus)
Dragius - Orso (Human Druid)
Irianodon - Majid (Human Rogue/Wizard)
Kotawolf - Thadious (Halfling Rogue)

Campaign

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/ancient-realms

Era: Spring, 2679

Location: Island Kingdom of Dexsonia (founded: Dexitheus "the Seeker": c. 2179)

Banner: Silver Dragon Hovering Majestically with Wings Outstretched over a Castle

Leadership:

King Eriakes “the Swift” (shield: silver falcon in flight)
Queen Asta, “Golden-tongue"

Other Notables:

Shâirhi, “Wise Oracle of the Sky”

Capital: Castle Rockheart

Major Cities:

Lukehöld (founded c. 2182: Lucian, son of Dexitheus, “Tamer of the Wilds”)

Organizations:

Order of the Sacred Watchguard (tabard: upright sword w/ silver wings)

History

Dexitheus (“the Seeker”), at 45 years of age, sailed from the Land of Khentonnia with several ships to colonize a new island home that had been discovered in previous journeys. After a perilous voyage lasting several weeks, the survivors arrived at Firsthold and beheld the fringes of a wondrous land.

An ancient tower stood firm upon that small rocky, mountainous island—a piece of the mainland. It was abandoned, and the stonework seemed untouched by time or decay. If was of a curious design, and extremely well-crafted.

When the settlers traveled toward a beach on the mainland, they were greeted by a massive castle on a promontory, separated by a chasm from the mainland, and spanned by an archway.

This place—named by Dexitheus “Rock Heart”—was also abandoned. The walls appeared to never have been breached, though all wood or other furnishing had vanished into dust over an unknown period of time.

Scouting parties met no human denizens. The land had rich soil and numerous rivers and lakes. How great was this fortuitous undertaking?!

Work on the castle and a nearby port city began apace. It was at this time that a son, Lucian, was born to Dexitheus and his consort, Lady Shâarhi (“Moon Bright”).

However, barely a year had passed since their landing, when foul creatures spewed up from the earth, from a place now named “Bânsooth”. It is a blasted place, with dwarven-carved entrances (not the same work as the castle and towers) into some of the highest mountains—aside from those near the long-dormant volcano.

As numerous as ants, did foul orcs stream across the valley, and among them were fell beasts of old: eye tyrants, basilisks. And above all, a great (reddish) dragon of consuming flame rampaged forth.

And lo and behold, Lady Shâarhi (Shâarhithoosalaenaar) transformed into a massive dragon all glittering molten silver, and Dexitheus (not the least surprised, having known) climbed upon her back and rode forth into battle.

They decimated the enemies while the loyal warriors and knights fought back the scrabblers, but in the titanic battle through the skies, rippled with ice and fire, did Dexitheus and Lady Shâarhi meet their doom, as they saved their new home and people from the fell wyrm, taking him with them to a watery grave (though the King and his wondrous consort were lovingly retrieved and interred within known places under the castle proper).

--------------------------

We have started a 1st-level campaign and shall progress from there (currently around 6th level). My preference is mid-to-high-level adventures, with epic quests throughout the planes.

As a high fantasy campaign, players are welcome to use the high-powered point-buy system, and most races (monsters) and classes are available after review. As this gets started, I'll post more of the flavor of this campaign setting.

About the DM

I'm a long-time gamer--usually the DM--and have an extensive collection of official, 3rd party, and fan resources for Dungeons & Dragons. I have run custom worlds, and incorporated existing modules (WotC, 3rd party, Dungeon magazine, etc.) into the setting, in addition to custom locations (cities, dungeons, etc.).

I enjoy adding story elements and narrative, and letting players interact with their game environment, including role-playing. I also really enjoy streamlined combat using tactical elements--and the d20Pro software excels at helping the DM and players with that.

With the addition of d20Pro--which can be used for entirely virtual games--I'm forming an online gaming group in addition to the in-person groups I DM weekly or monthly.

Online Tools (Virtual Table Top - VTT)

http://www.d20pro.com/
(http://www.d20pro.com/)
https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/download.aspx (Unmanaged; free)
http://www.ventrilo.com/ (client)
(http://www.skype.com/)

I'll use d20Pro to reveal the color map, supporting artwork, flavor text, creatures encountered (and any combat!), etc. I've found over the past several months with in-person groups that this tool greatly enhances the accuracy and speed (and fun) of combat .

(Scroll down on this forum post to see some nice explanations and screenshots of maps, creatures, attacks, etc. http://forums.d20pro.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1134&p=5550&hilit=edwardcd#p5550 in addition to the main help files http://help.mindgene.com/ )

I have extra floating licenses, so a player can use the free client available at the d20Pro site. Also, we'll connect to a Ventrilo server for voice communication.

Inspirational Fiction

[I]The Earthsea Trilogy by Ursula K. LeGuinn (power of names, archmagi, schools of magic, dragons, great spells)

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R Tolkien (mythology, good vs. evil, artifacts, heroics, quests)

The Riddlemaster of Hed by Patricia A. McKillip (wizards, shapechanging, elemental powers)

The Dying Earth by Jack Vance (wizards, rogues, ioun stones, time travel, spells ["Most Excellent Prismatic Spray!"], demons, intrigue, ancient civilizations)

The Lyonesse Trilogy by Jack Vance (wizards, fey, plane hopping, spells ["Time Stop"], kingdoms-- war and intrigue)

Hiero's Journey (far future, post apocalyptic, psionics)

Darkover Series by Marion Zimmer Bradley (psionics)

Creatures of Light and Darkness, Lord of Light, various others by Roger Zelazny (mythology and god-men, tech as magic)

Madwand by Roger Zelazny (magic and tech, mythical creatures, quests, artifacts, wizards, planes of existence

Jack of Shadows by Roger Zelazny (magic and tech, shadow walking/teleportation)

Conan the Barbarian by Robert E. Howard (barbarians, sorcerers, creatures, battles)

Elric of Melnibone by Michael Moorcock (Stormbringer!, ancient kingdoms, pact/summoning, planes, multi-verse, doomed hero)

Witch World by Andre Norton (planes, places of power, illusions, words of power)

Et Cetera!

Inspirational Movies

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (epic narratives & battles, elves/wizards/dwarves/men/orcs, castles, wraiths, dungeons)

Dragonslayer (magic, dragons, artifacts, wizards, spells [dimension door, control winds/weather, lightning bolt...] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonslayer

Big Trouble in Little China (martial arts, wizards, quests, humor)

Willow (wizards, magic, quests, polymorph)

Dungeon & Dragons movies (wizards, spells [teleport, healing, fireball...], quests, artifacts, traps, lichs, dragons)

Et Cetera!

Favorite Computer Games

Fallout (I, II, Tactics, III, New Vegas)

Deus Ex, DE: Revolution

Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic

Baldur's Gate Series

Icewind Dale Series

Neverwinter Nights I & II

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Series

Heroes of Might & Magic V

Titan Quest: Immortal Throne

Temple of Elemental Evil

Et Cetera!

System Reference Documents (SRD) 3.5

The Hypertext d20 SRD - http://www.d20srd.org/

D&D Wiki - http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:System_Reference_Document

Andargor's HQ - http://www.andargor.com/ [XML, database formats]

Character Tools supporting D&D 3.5 that I have, or have used:

DM Genie ( $ ; used extensively; what I've loaded tons of references into; nice leveling wizard)

http://dmgenie.com/

Hero Lab ( $ ; allows export from and import into d20Pro)

http://www.wolflair.com/index.php?context=hero_lab

PCGen ( open source; extensive optional resources bundled; can be slow with lots loaded)

http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/01_overview.php

PathGuy's Character Generator 3.5 ( free; all-in-one-page scripted gen)

http://www.pathguy.com/cg35.htm

Roleplaying Assistant (feature-limited shareware not time limited; wide game system support; data-based)

http://www.rpgweb.com/

Basxs
08-09-2011, 03:57 AM
I would be interested in trying out your campaign.

I am also a long time gamer and have experience playing most of the classes.

What days did you have in mine for playing?

Vision9000
08-09-2011, 10:06 AM
Hi Basxs, I'm very flexible on the times, thinking a 2-4hr+ session on a Friday evening, or Sat afternoon/evening most weeks would work. Alternately, I could run a game primarily or secondarily on a weeknight around 6 pm PDT for 2-4 hrs.

Macgreine
08-09-2011, 07:35 PM
I am currently looking for a game to join and have experience with 3.5. I think the possible schedule you have listed would also make a great fit.

Vision9000
08-09-2011, 08:10 PM
Hi Macgreine, sounds good. With at least two players, we could easily meet & greet, run through part of the Dungeon module I have, and get to know everyone's playing styles and preferences.

I'll propose a game for this Fri or Sat @ 6 pm PDT - my vote would be for Sat.

Please download and install the free d20Pro client software for Mac/Win if you haven't already. I'll use it to reveal the color map, supporting artwork, flavor text, creatures encountered (and any combat!), etc. You can run one of the pre-generated characters which has attacks, abilities, skills, etc. set for easy die roll generation. I've found over the past two months with in-person groups that this tool greatly enhances the accuracy and speed (and fun) of combat.

Also, I'll run a teamspeak 3 server for voice comm. (Skype or something would be a fallback measure). I'll get the IP addresses and passwords to players on the day of the game.

Valthos
08-09-2011, 08:31 PM
Hi Vision9000,

I have been searching for a new steady online group for a while after my previous one regretfully died after one year and a half of weekly games.

I'm interesting in joining, although it’s been a good while since I really played 3.5 D&D - During this one year and a half we were played a little D&D 4e, but mostly Earthdawn, Inquisitor and Shadowrun (and some other random systems on some off nights).

I would prefer if the games were on Friday (then I could go for as long as we can stay awake), although I could try to work something out for Saturday (although on Saturday maybe 8pm PDT would work a lot easier for me).

Rds

Vision9000
08-09-2011, 08:46 PM
Hi Valthos, yeah I hear you about the "as long as we can stay awake"! I'll switch my vote to Friday and we'll see how everything shapes up.

I do realize that Pathfinder and 4e have been the most touted D&D successors, and I respect how they have advanced the game. Having said that, I have hundreds of 3/3.5 books and 10's of GB of PDF/online resources, so I'm not so keen on converting it all yet!

With the d20Pro software and characters set up, the attacks, spells, effects, saving throws, etc. are configured which frees a person for more tactical and role-playing choices without needing to remember all of how modifiers are calculated. There's still the guidelines of what actions creatures can take, but I tend to have that memorized and can provide options on-the-fly in the heat of battle. Other times I can ask for a skill check and the player just selects and rolls. So the somewhat different rule-sets shouldn't impede the game for those those less familiar with 3.5

And I'd like to throw in some "random" stuff now and then, like some Gamma World, d20 Modern/Future, etc.--because I like tech just as much as fantasy!

Valthos
08-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Don't worry about the system with me. Although I'm currently missing playing 2e/3e Shadowrun, I like D&D and can always play some other crazy games or other popular ones. Just said that about 3.5 because I'll need to read some more on it to make a character.

Hope we can get a game going soon!

Macgreine
08-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Friday sounds great. Looking forward to it.

CoryFenrir
08-09-2011, 10:26 PM
Hello. I'd like to join. I love playing tabletop games and i have everything needed to play. I'm up for any class right now except cleric because i hate healing for some reason. Makes playing feel like work to me. I've wanted to play a pathfinder celestial sorcerer and was looking for a path game. I'd play one in 3.5 but sorcerers don't get anything... So i can fill a niche If your looking for one to be filled. Send me an email or something.

Basxs
08-10-2011, 02:34 AM
I would love to do the play through but i will not be available this Friday or Saturday =(

Fridays normally are not good for me since i already play a game that day but Saturdays could work for me with a bit of planning

Vision9000
08-10-2011, 07:37 PM
CoryFenrir - Some resources I'll check for D&D 3.5 "celestial sorcerer" concepts/feats/(prestige)classes...

- Book of Exalted Deeds (WotC)
- Complete Champion (WotC)
- Complete Divine (WotC)
- Complete Mage (WotC)
- Unearthed Arcana (WotC)
- Holy Orders of the Stars (WotC)
- Towers of High Sorcery (WotC)
- Champions of Valor (WotC)
- Faiths and Pantheons (WotC)
- Players Guide to Faerûn (WotC)
- Good (AEG)
- Anger of Angels (Malhavoc Press)
- Book of Hallowed Might I & II (Malhavoc Press)
- Path of Magic (Fantasy Flight Games)
- Book of the Righteous (Green Ronin Publishing)
- Quintessential Sorcerer (Mongoose Publishing)
- Etc.

I could also look into accepting the variant sorcerer from Pathfinder, as I do have those resources too (aside from the SRD).

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

Basxs - hm, I think we'll go with Fridays for now. It seems to be a good time for a game--as you know, since you already have one on that day!

Valthos
08-11-2011, 09:54 PM
So we going to try to get something going this Friday at 6 pm PDT?

Vision9000
08-11-2011, 11:33 PM
It's a "go". I've posted the current player roster and next game time at the top of the original message. I also opened a campaign at Obsidian Portal (link in the tools section of original message) which includes a wiki for notes, log, items, etc. I'll confirm the tools and PM the IP address by tomorrow. I'll probably fire up d20Pro 30-60 minutes ahead of time in case anybody is around early, since we'll be doing some intros and choosing temp characters for the module. See you there!

Dragius
08-16-2011, 06:27 PM
If you are still looking for players I would love to join. I work until 5 EST on Monday - Fridays but after that I can game all night. I am a long time gamer looking for a good group to play with. I have Maptools currently and can host Vent if needed.

Please let me know

Thank you
Chad

Macgreine
08-16-2011, 08:50 PM
Hey Chad,
We had an ice breaker trial game last Fri night and it went well. I think we have 3 players and Vision is DM. I am pretty sure we are looking for a few more players. We are planning on starting a campaign this Friday night @ 6pm PST and Vision has started a site at Obsidian Portal.
http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/ancient-realms

Thats all the info I have right now and I am sure Vision will get back to you.
happy trails, Mac:cool:[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

Valthos
08-16-2011, 08:55 PM
Hey Chad,

I also am going to play in this campaing and I do believe we are still looking for more people (the more the merrier), since the desired number of players is 5 and we are at 3 players - not counting the GM.

Try to read carefully on the GM's post and start thinking of your character for our 3.5e game. For your info, we are starting at lvl 1, no restrictions of note, point buy system of 32pts starting every attribute at 10 (we playing high level).

Also, as Mac said, I'm certain Vision will drop a note as well.

Regards,
Valthos

Vision9000
08-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Hey Chad,

As with the others' comments: we are just starting up and it's a great time to hop on-board.

If you join the Obsidian Portal (free) you can become a player in the "Ancient Realms" campaign and find: additional notes on the wiki, an adventure log, a gaming calendar, a place to input your character, etc.

Also, we're definitely using d20Pro and TeamSpeak 3 (client) to manage graphics/flavor-text, tactical combat and real-time voice comm/role-play. TS3 is free, and you can use the free version of d20Pro since I have several floating licenses which are assigned for a session when players connect.

Regarding the fledgling party, we have tentative-to-firm: human paladin; plane-touched sorcerer; ranger. The party so far is tending toward good alignment, and that would be a factor for your character. You are welcome to pick your favorite character race/class and pass it by me.

I'm fleshing out the details on the island kingdom where you all will be starting this Friday!

Vis (V9k)

Dragius
08-18-2011, 06:56 AM
WhT do we need? I can attempt to play mostly anything and will enjoy it lol.

Also it s prolly easier to email me or pm me throughout the day.

If I had my choice I would say either rogue, wizard, or heck even a Druid. I haven't played 35 in a while so bare with me.

Cya soon

Vision9000
08-18-2011, 10:16 AM
Currently there is no rogue, and they are always helpful. There is a sorcerer, but no reason why a wizard couldn't adventure too. No cleric, so a druid could certainly help with healing among other things.

Having said that, you can play whatever you'd like, and the party will prevail!

[also PM'd]

Vision9000
08-18-2011, 04:56 PM
Notice:

I know I said 32 points in point-buy with scores starting at 10, but they're supposed to start at 8.

The DM Genie always defaulted to scores of 10 (and that's what I was recalling off the top of my head) but it showed that 12 out of 32 were already allocated.

If a person allocates 32 to starting scores of 10 that character will be 12 points over.

Aside from that, I look forward to seeing your characters. Please try to post them to Obsidian Portal before tomorrow's game so I can input the stats and other notes for each into d20Pro.

The game is afoot!

Vis

munchkin_gamer35
08-20-2011, 07:24 AM
Darn it looks like Fridays won out. If the game ever moves to Saturday I would most certainly like to jump in.

Vision9000
08-21-2011, 01:40 PM
http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/ancient-realms/adventure-log/trouble-on-the-paths-and-byways-meetings

The adventurers met at the Double Bolt Inn (and didn't actually enter, for greater things were afoot).

Tenamore Ableson, Wiz D. Ryuki, Orso the Druid, and Kaldrich had arrived, as with a few others from the realm, to investigate the robberies and murders in the village of Pitchett.

The townsfolk were very suspicious and cold, but Kaldrich managed to get a few reluctant villagers to share some info. Their beloved paladin and citizen since birth, Shaunnra Stillhand, was foully slain in a swamp to the north when she and her squire sallied forth to root out the brigands.

It was also discovered that the priestess/abbot of the local temple to Illmater was a childhood friend of the paladin's.

The adventurers walked up the road from the inn to the temple (the largest building in the area, and of stone), and met Gwynned who directed them to the fortified courtyard where Andress Naugheson rested wearily by the well.

Sorrowfully, she told of valiant Shaunnra, how her body had returned on her horse after that fateful night, but her squire Marthos had not returned. Divination had revealed to Andress that Shaunnra's soul was trapped by some fiend, her life force being consumed, and she had not passed peacefully into the greater reward she deserved.

Determined to right this wrong, and bring justice to all involved, the party began additional investigations.

Some advocated rushing forth to the valley in a straightforward and determined manner. Others cautioned a more stealthy approach, considering how the previous charge resulted in death and disaster.

With time to spare--to reach the swampy, mist-shrouded valley some 5 miles to the north before nightfall--the investigators traveled to the Uhlstan farm at the edge of the village, to inquire after the well-being of a robbery survivor, and to seek clues regarding the bandits.

At the farm, they were greeted by Hlann and his wife Lornyk, a young couple who had acquired the farm a year ago when the previous owners left with their surviving daughter after the tragic death of their 8 year old daughter who had fallen to her death through the rotted boards of an abandoned, covered well.

During the discussion with Hlann who was unpleasant at best, despite Lornyk's attempts to moderate the exchange, Kaldrich (who wasn't getting very far with pleasantries) intimidated Hlann into revealing more of the circumstances of his encounter with the bandits, and the timing of his coming to town.

Around this time, several things were discovered. Orso learned from his wolf companion that there were dangerous things faintly scented in the barn. Also, Tenamore decided that the farm was barely maintained, perhaps as a cover or pretense, and used his innate detection of evil--finding that Hlann and Lornyk were evil, and also evil presences in the barn.

Tenemore asked for a tour of the farm, including the barn, and things rapidly and heatedly escalated into a deadly fight.

Fluffy the wolf charged around to flank Hlann. Lornyk swiftly drew a dagger and stepped off the porch, striking Kaldrich critically and severely damaging his off hand.

The adventurers rallied and downed their opponents quickly. Hlann did not survive the sword strokes and wolf bites, but Lornyk was captured and tied up, stabilized from the single deadly strike that Kaldrich returned to her.

Orso provided a perfect healing of Kaldrich's hand, rendering it operable again.

Nothing attacked from the barn. After deliberations about whether to solicit help from the village, or burn the barn to smoke out the enemy (but Orso detected light warhorses in there that might have panicked and been injured), they decided to set up a tactical assault.

Striding into the barn, Tenemore met lurking orcs waiting to the side of the door. More orcs jumped from the loft into hay piles and joined the fray.

A swift and deadly battle ensued where the orcs were slain without injury to the party.

Wiz used sorcery to cause some of the combatants to fall asleep without having struck a blow.

During the fight, an imposing and dangerous-seeming half-orc warrior figure looked intently at the adventurers and then left through a trapdoor in a stall to the rear of the barn.

Orso calmed the warhorses, disturbed by the scent of blood and wolf and being blindfolded, and led them out.

Now the investigators have this farm to examine for further clues.

How strange for this evil to have been found within the village itself. What else might be happening in this place?

-----------------------

Experience Awards

+100 to all members for excellent use of skills, reasoning, role-play, and coordination

+100 to all members for plot advancement: discovering & eliminating the bandit cover-farm

+250 for defeating 2 CR 1 Harular's Claws bandits, and 6 0.5 CR orc bandits

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

Darn it looks like Fridays won out. If the game ever moves to Saturday I would most certainly like to jump in.

Once I get a procedure down for this--my first online campaign--I'll look into hosting another campaign with some frequency on Saturdays.

hitmandock
08-21-2011, 07:23 PM
If you guys have a spot open i can fill it i am able to play on fridays ill just need to know what the group is missing

Vision9000
08-22-2011, 03:29 PM
So, we have a paladin, swordsage, sorcerer and druid. You can play whatever you'd like. There is no specific rogue, which could help with traps, locks and things--but that's not required. As is not having a specific cleric, but with the paladin's healing and ability to turn undead, and the druid's healing, the party should be fine. (It always helps to obtain a wand of curing that can be used by different members)

kotawolf
09-20-2011, 09:49 PM
I posted elsewhere and would be interested.. only problem is I can't get the Virtual Table software for a couple of weeks... those ugly things called bills get in the way.
Its been a few years sense I played so expect me to be rusty, but I've got hard copies of many of the core books and some of the extras.

My work sched varies sometimes... its usually 10A-6P M-F (Central Time). But as you are running on P time.. I'm +2 hours on ya.

Vision9000
09-21-2011, 12:24 AM
No worries. All of the software involved is free, including d20Pro since I purchased extra floating licenses. I'll PM you with details, and you are welcome to join sooner rather than later!