PDA

View Full Version : need a few tips

fatcashxxlg
08-03-2011, 01:47 AM
i a few suggestions on how to roll for stats? and how to introduce new people into the game i was thinking like arena battles? so any suggestions on these two things would be nice

Q-man
08-03-2011, 02:24 PM
Well the books have options for rolling the stats, so reading that section will help you there. If you are introducing new players to the game you might want to go with the most forgiving method. I think rolling 4d6 drop the lowest die 7 times and picking from those to assign the stats will probably give them the easiest time getting a character they want to play. There's not a lot of reason to dwell on the stats though, since you can correct any poor rolls with feat and skill choices later on.

As for introducing new players I'd suggest making a simple little dungeon crawl against goblins. Perhaps 3 rooms with half a dozen goblins in each one. Try to make each group a little different. For example the first room is all melee goblins, the second room is all archers running around on rock shelves, and the last room has a couple spellcasters. This way they get to see all of the game mechanics, but individually so that its not overwhelming.

Malruhn
08-03-2011, 03:08 PM
This is one of those "stupid" questions that old farts like me forget about... because we (I) have been playing for so long. Rolling up a character and introducing players to the game is HARD - or at least it seems like it. Thanks for being brave enough to ask!!

My method for rolling up a character is old-school - but for MY experience, it gives the new player an easier time to understand the process.

I use four d6 - and throw out the lowest number rolled. Roll a 3, 4, 5, 6 - and you have a 15. Roll a 1, 1, 1, 4, and you get a lowly six. Do this six times - and you are done. Now, write down the stat names - STR, INT, WIS, CON, DEX, CHR and describe them to the new person. Now describe the core classes - what does a Ranger do? What does a rogue/thief do? What does a fighter do? And make sure you tell them what the minimum stats are for that class (I have used 3x5 cheat sheets to help with this).

Now - ask them what class they would like to play - and then have them start plugging in their dice rolls into the stat blocks - and describing the character as they go.
You want to be a cleric, right? Okay, you started by putting your highest stat (a 15) in your Strength - which means that you will be stronger than you are wise. Now you put your 14 in your Wisdom, which means that you will be able to cast up to 4th level spells. The 10's and 11's you are putting in your DEX, INT and CHR, which makes you pretty average for IQ, dealing with people and quickness. Your low stat of 6 you are putting in your CON, which means that you will be of very poor health and sickly.This is done to give them a visual of what they are doing and how the finished character will be described. NOTE: I allow them to change the stats to reflect changes in opinion in this step!! If the newly created "Billy the Cleric" doesn't come off with a low CON score, I would allow the player to swap it with another stat.

One of the easiest ways to introduce folks to the mechanics is just like you thought - arena battles. It gives them a chance to use their feats and skills and figure out which dice are used in which situations. Just make sure that they understand that the arenas are run by benevolent beings that will heal/resurrect them if they die.

THEN, after they get a grip on what goes on, you can introduce actual role-playing, by asking them what they will do between bouts, or hint that it seems like "Bongo the Strong" is winning lots of bouts because of magical (or steroid) help. What will they do? After they get an idea of what goes on, then they can transfer to a "real" arena, where they can die for real. After a bout or two, let them "win" their freedom and walk out a free person to see the world.

It's as simple as that... although it certainly doesn't seem like it's too simple before you do it.

Like I said, thanks for being brave enough to ask!!

nijineko
08-05-2011, 06:57 PM
i use a similar system most of the time: roll 4d6 drop the lowest. repeat 6 times. if it is a hard game, i will let them roll three columns of stats using the above method and pick the best column.

point buy options are also available in the dmg, which i might use if i have a player who has insanely good rolls compared to everyone else or some other circumstance where i need to have a bit more control, or freedom depending, on the stat outcomes.

i like to use the challenge of champions series of dragon articles as a framework, and see how the party overcomes the puzzles. 100xp per puzzle win or lose. a typical contest has 10 puzzles. this will put them at level 2, and give them a next step up as a patron might see their performance and offer to hire them.

hope this helps somewhat.

roninkelt
08-07-2011, 07:16 PM
i a few suggestions on how to roll for stats?

I always go for a point buy, especially with new players, it gives more of a sense of control and they can shape their character to be what they want.

and how to introduce new people into the game i was thinking like arena battles? so any suggestions on these two things would be nice

For introducing new players I've found that the best results are achieved when you start in media res and give the characters a chance to be heroic or whatever turns them on to roleplaying, then go back and do the intros, etc. You really want to set the hook hard - get everyone emotionally invested in their character and the game. Then you can build for the longer term after that. In addition, don't be pedantic about the rules. With people who aren't intimately familiar with the ruleset your best bet is to point out options or not worry about being particularly correct and go with feel rather than correctness.