PDA

View Full Version : Diaspora

LadyPhoenix
08-02-2011, 04:09 AM
Has anyone run a long-ish campaign with this system before? How did it turn out?

One of my groups has started up this game, but we've just had character/setting creation. I was curious about the long-term viability of this game and whether or not I should buy a copy of the ruleset for myself.

Sascha
08-02-2011, 08:07 AM
It's just as suited to long-term play as most any other game.

What might trip you up (as it happened with my group, when trying to play Fate-based games) is that character 'growth', such that it is, is usually sideways development; power level increases aren't coded into Diaspora as a consequence of play. Mechanically, starting characters and characters at the end of a campaign are on the same footing; "experience" is modeled by shuffling around Skill ranks, Aspects and Stunts, rather than adding more.

McKee
08-02-2011, 11:20 AM
I ran a game that went a half a dozen sessions, and then the players scattered. We were caught up enough in the game as is that no one said anything about the advancement thing.

LadyPhoenix
08-18-2011, 05:47 PM
It's just as suited to long-term play as most any other game.

What might trip you up (as it happened with my group, when trying to play Fate-based games) is that character 'growth', such that it is, is usually sideways development; power level increases aren't coded into Diaspora as a consequence of play. Mechanically, starting characters and characters at the end of a campaign are on the same footing; "experience" is modeled by shuffling around Skill ranks, Aspects and Stunts, rather than adding more.

Hrm, sounds interesting. I'm used to games that you 'level-up' in like D&D and FATE doesn't seem to work quite the same way. I suppose story is a lot more important than loading up on the booty in Diaspora.

Sascha
08-18-2011, 06:56 PM
Hrm, sounds interesting. I'm used to games that you 'level-up' in like D&D and FATE doesn't seem to work quite the same way. I suppose story is a lot more important than loading up on the booty in Diaspora.
Sort of. Loot acquisition *is* the story in Fate, if that's what you want your characters to be after, and wealth plays a big part of Diaspora's intended play style (what with the whole Economics subsystem). It's just modeled much differently than a D&D-type game.