PDA

View Full Version : Kindle? Nook?

fmitchell
08-01-2011, 08:05 PM
After the Nth advert for a Kindle, I'm wondering if I should get an e-book reader, and which one. E-books are usually cheaper than new books, and in my current situation space is at a premium. On the other hand, I don't need another expensive gadget I'm not going to use, and physical books I can buy and sell used.

So, should I take the plunge? If so, what should I get?

Q-man
08-02-2011, 06:32 AM
I have the Nook, because at the time I didn't like how Amazon messed with books on the Kindle. Apparently Amazon had the ability to go onto your device and remove books you'd purchased. I understood that they only did this if for some reason they were no longer able to sell that ebook anymore. In the end its the publishers being the dicks, no Amazon. Still though suddenly loosing a book would suck.

That wasn't possible on the Nook, so that's why I got one. I believe that Amazon won't do that anymore, so I doubt that's still a concern. In the end I think that one is as good as the other as far as the device goes.

What you'll really want to look at is the volume of books that you can get for the device. Due to DRM schemes that are idiotic and infuriating it is not easy to buy a Nook and them put books from Amazon on it. The same goes for buying a kindle and putting Barnes and Noble books on it. Its possible, but it involves stripping off the DRM which likely violates some terms of the ebook buying agreement. I believe that Amazon offers a larger selection of books.

If you happen to have a smart phone you can read ebooks that way pretty conveniently. You also get the bones that you can install all the ebook reading software from B&N and Amazon so you get the maximum selection. Although personally I like the Stanza (http://www.lexcycle.com/) app to read books on my iPhone, though again that requires DRM free ebooks.

Assuming you do start fooling around with ebooks I'd also recommend having a look at Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/) as well. Its a nice program for Windows PC's that allows you to manage your book collection. In it you can convert from one ebook format to another.

MortonStromgal
08-03-2011, 12:47 PM
Depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to read RPG books (pdf format) both are terrible but the Nook Color is slightly better (ipad is the way to go for that, infact the Shadowrun and Eclipse Phase pdfs are awesome on ipad). However you'll get more books formatted for Kindle than Nook (as long as you dont need pdfs). Many of my O'Reilly tech books are beginning to be formatted for Kindle but not the Nook. If you have a Nook color you can still use the pdfs but pdfs are kinda terrible on ereaders. The ipad does best with pdfs and its still not great.

Q-man
08-03-2011, 01:17 PM
PDF's are a good point. MortonStromgal is right, the Nook is awful at displaying them. Calibre can convert PDF's to epubs and other formats, but there are some limitations. The big one is that if the PDF is in the standard 2 column format it won't work. It'll try to merge the columns together and you end up with an insensible mess.

I don't have an iPad, but I do have an iPhone. The iPhone isn't bad at handling PDF's, however the screen is too small to make it useful.

Malruhn
08-03-2011, 10:07 PM
I used a friend's Kindle to read a short story - and hated it. It wasn't the brand - it was that I didn't have a physical BOOK in front of me that I can turn down corners on pages and quickly flip from page to page (cross referencing stuff). I'm just old-school that way. Gimme a BOOK and I'm happy.

To help explain - I detest reading books on the computer as well - it's just the lack of pages thing.

I did play with a friend's i-Pad, and loved it for PDF referencing - but I couldn't handle it for reading. I guess I'm just too biased (and old!).

ShaneC
08-04-2011, 06:47 AM
Nook owner here. I loaded it up with books off project gutenberg and the like, so I love the ability to just dump files onto it. E-Ink screens for me, I spend enough time on a computer that I didn't want another back-lit object to stare at. My only complaint (due to my own fault) is that the screen tends to be a tad sensitive to pressure. I had my nook in a soft case in with my laptop, managed to damage the lower left corner of the screen. At best, I have a line of nothingness running through the last line of text. At worse, I can't always make out whats written in the lower left corner of a page. :(

Its not as nice as a "real" book, but it does have the benefits of being small and light weight. Reading from a nook feels natural to me.

Malruhn
08-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Thanks for that endorsement. It MAY be that I'm just a guy that is slow to change and haven't given the darned things enough of a chance.

nijineko
08-14-2011, 05:50 PM
book.

though i confess that i will carry a large amount of text and pdf files with me to read if i know that i am going to have computer access of some sort.

joseanes
11-14-2011, 03:47 PM
Amazon has more staying power than Barnes and Noble. If I had to guess what company will go Bankrupt in 10 years, I would ditch B&N and stay with Amazon... and I want my digital content to survive more than a decade - don't want it to just disappear.

Q-man
11-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Oddly enough amazon seems to have the more annoying DRM from what I've seen. I'm not sure if they've done away with the download limitations that convinced me to choose a Nook. The bottom line on anything DRM is if you want a collection that lasts: steal it.

That said I tend to agree with you, Amazon is more likely to stay in business and already has the better book selection. Also that new Kindle Fire looks pretty spiffy.