PDA

View Full Version : Fading Suns

Jame Rowe
07-24-2011, 06:29 PM
I was wondering if anyone can tell me something about the Fading Suns RPG, other than what is found on the Red Brick Limited website. Thanks!

Nitehood
08-25-2011, 11:32 PM
Are you wanting to know about the rules or the setting?

Jame Rowe
08-27-2011, 07:47 AM
Well, both. With a closer look at the setting though.

Karlindel
12-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Fading Suns is a space opera sci-fi game. I have heard the setting described as the Byzantine Empire in space, or Dune-esque. The setting is a space empire, travel performed using jump gates, and a number of factions, including various noble houses, guilds, and church sects. The setting has Psionics, and Theurgy (religious ritual based magic). The empire has a mix of high and low technology, as it rose after the fall of a Republic that had a much higher technological standard. Aliens are rare, although there are a few species that are more common than others. I have played and run the game, and it is one of my favorite sci-fi settings.

The system is in transition, as a new edition will be coming out soon. Character creation was point based, with the option of using life paths (basically pick some things you did in the past and that spends the points for you). I enjoyed the life path option as very useful for getting new players into a game quickly. The rolling system is based around rolling a d20 and trying to roll against a target number equal to Stat+Skill. The result of the d20 roll will generate Victory Points, with higher rolls generating more victory points, and a roll equal to the target number being a critical success and earning double VPs.