PDA

View Full Version : The last and final refuge

edeines
07-20-2011, 04:51 PM
Essentially, all of the "civilized" races of the world were massively ambushed years ago in a concerted effort by the "lesser" races and rather hastily forced to retreat to one last fortified city on the sea. They are under a constant state of siege and although they have developed an intricate set of defenses and technologies to allow them to survive day to day, they must constantly send out their best and brightest into the savage wastelands to try and gather anything from mundane supplies to powerful relics from the ruins of their past civilizations, now overrun by all sorts of foul creatures.

Each of you is not only a resident of this city and a member of the Guild of Seven Ideals. You are among the adventurers that form these raiding parties. The motivation for the PCs is all about status. Imagine the tenseness of day to day living in such a suffocating existence. Those who show their undeniable worth will obviously get the lion's share of favor and prestige. Although the game is focused on these external “do or die” missions, there is also the element of intrigue and diplomacy within the city walls. Surely everyone is not on the same page when it comes to keeping the city safe, what missions to undertake, or how and where to relinquish valuable city resources. Then there is the tricky problem of all the rival adventuring guilds. You all have the same goal of ensuring the ultimate survival of civilization, but you all need to eat in the meantime too. Hearty meat sure tastes better than the stale bread from the storehouses.

About the game itself…

It will be Pathfinder based (with regard to classes, feats, abilities and so on) but I do have a modified combat system that is fast paced and exciting. Think single-square moves and deadly critical hit charts.

Now some of the other things that are different about the way I run a game that you might find interesting, especially if you can only attend infrequently.

I consider myself more of a judge and record keeper. Each week, I want someone else to handle the actions and dialogue of most of the NPCs and the monsters. I create the world/situation, give you descriptions and/or motivations, and then let you all hash it out. My previous groups have referred to this NPC person as “that guy”, among other things not so nice.

Also, the nature of the campaign is very episodic. I try and design it so that things can get handled nicely within a single session. The party typically transports between locations by teleport-style sites scattered throughout the world. That way if you can’t attend every single session, your character can simply be resting back in the city between adventures while other brave souls continue “saving our world”.

We play on Sunday nights from 6:30 to 11 latest. I host and live in Irving just off 114 and MacArthur. Let me know if you are interested.

Jak Shadwin
07-21-2011, 05:48 AM
This sounds like exactly the type of game I would like to play in! I've been dying to get into a Pathfinder game!

edeines
07-21-2011, 12:47 PM
Jak,

I am actually organizing this campaign through the Order of the Funny Shaped Dice meetup, so feel free to sign up there. Or if you prefer I can give you the info through this forum.

Burrito Boy
08-09-2011, 07:48 PM
Is it too late to get in on this?

edeines
08-10-2011, 10:29 AM
We have run two sessions so far. Game time is actually 6:30-11:00. Characters just made it to second level.

We currently have seven players, but not all can make it every single week. I would be comfortable adding one to the group. My goal is to get a steady six at each game. If you join, we would potentially have 4-8 on a given night. Let me know if you are interested.

Burrito Boy
08-11-2011, 05:56 PM
I'm definitely interested. The time is good for me and the distance is great since I don't drive. I'll send you a PM with some questions.

edeines
09-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Currently have four solid players, looking for another one or two.