PDA

View Full Version : ShallowMoor

senvek
07-10-2011, 07:21 PM
Looking for a few players and DMs to start a D&D 4th edition campaign...yet to be developed. I am putting the feelers out and seeing what kind of interest there would be. I would like to see 3-5 players and at least one other person willing to DM. I would like to see mature players, committed to making game night and making the experience feel real by developing the character into more than a collection of stats and magic items. It will likely favor "Role"playing, and "Roll"playing will occur with purpose and intent, not pointless and gratuitous. Shooting for every other week during the evening, so if you have any preference, please include it in your reply.

RayneSummers
07-10-2011, 08:43 PM
I'd be interested if it could be played via maptools or other online programs

rjclark
07-11-2011, 08:23 AM
All right, I guess I qualify on all fronts except I have never played 4E. What I have played, in the d&dverse is D&D, AD&D(all three), 3E(both), 3.75(Pathfinder), I have played since '73. I have also played a plethora of other RPG's off all genres. I have DM'd. I would be willing to give your 4E game a shot, It will depend on when your game will be held, as I am currently in a biweekly Saturday game, and a weekly Friday night game. Let me know.

Fharghanar
07-11-2011, 08:28 AM
I'd be interested in playing. Monday, Wed, Thurs eves, or most Sundays would work for me. :) I currently run a game on Tuesday eve and wouldn't want to take on running two games at once though.

st_toad
07-12-2011, 08:19 AM
I'm interested. I've been playing 4e for over a year and DMing for about 4 months. I'm stretched thin with my current DM duties as it is, however, so I'd only be available as a player at this point.

Fharghanar
07-14-2011, 03:52 PM
There are a couple other people I could pull in too if there's a need. What days might we be looking to get together?

senvek
07-14-2011, 07:58 PM
Ok. tentatively, let's see if every other Thursday works for everyone. We would potentially start at 6 or 7 and play until midnight if that works. Again, this is a tentative schedule and subject to change based on popular vote and player availability. If I am to DM, it may take me a little while to get the books and do some updating of my D&D memory. If we everyone is interested in starting sooner, it would take someone willing to GM right from the start until I get caught up on rules.

rjclark
07-15-2011, 08:31 AM
Okay, I can't do the midnight mid week game. I'm up at 5-5:30 am. Sorry.

Fharghanar
07-15-2011, 12:28 PM
That works for me.

As far as 'getting the books', I'd suggest just getting the PHB & DMG, and then subscribing to D&D Insider. Going to be way cheaper than buying the books, and gives you access to every race, class, feat, monster, item, etc in an easily searchable database.

So far, st_toad, senvek & myself.

senvek
07-17-2011, 10:17 AM
OK. For anyone following this thread, here is the latest update. I am meeting with a possible key member today. Depending on their take on the matter, my decision to run the campaign or not will be made. I count 4 potential players here and possibly a 5th if we can make Friday evenings work. If my meeting goes in favor of a D&D campaign and all is well, perhaps by next week we could arrange a meeting at a local restaurant and introduce ourselves and see what each person is interested in before we actually start gaming. I am a strong advocate of designing a campaign that suits the needs of the majority, then those who fall outside the concept either have to adapt or wait for another campaign upstart. There is no sense is having someone involved whose opinions routinely conflict with the majority. I will update this post by this evening (1100 PM EST) and keep everyone on top of what is going on.

senvek
07-18-2011, 12:44 AM
Well, I met this evening as expected. We looked at D&D 4 ed and honestly, I am a little disappointed with WOTC. Whatever happened to "3 books and you are done"? They have made it so that you either need to commit to an online subscription or, shell out half the GNP to buy all 75,000 books. Are they making a game or a sequential graphic novel? I suppose this could all be configured to play based on just the 1st books for Player, DM and MM, but we would need to lay down ground rules as far as what addendums we would accept and what rules updates we incorporate. My intention would be to make a story driven campaign and advancement would be very slow. A "group template" (borrowed that term) would have to be agreed upon and character creation would have to be done with the group so that we can be sure that everyone is a fit and that we can incorporate character histories and story lines for the purposes of roleplaying. Would Sunday nights suit everyone for a game night? I work every third weekend and its likely we would meet 2 Sundays a month about 7-10 (or 11) pm.

Fharghanar
07-18-2011, 02:45 AM
Yeah, WOTC's book bloat is out of control. Don't let their monetization scheme deter you from experiencing a great product though. Just get the DMG & PHB and subscribe to DDI. Honestly, having access to the crunch content of all products with current errata for the cost of 2 books per year is totally worth it. I know I'd buy more than two books per year if I didn't have access to that info through DDI. Not to mention the excellent convenience of the Character Builder. I have a subscription and share it with my Tuesday group, it has worked out great. They just log into the character builder with my account and craft away.

As far as allowing some content over others, I tend to run with the, 'allow everything and trust my players to keep it fun', in regards to not making characters that make the rest of the party feel useless. But I find that happens far less often in 4E vs 3.X. I haven't seen anything in the game that I thought was 'just too ridiculous' to feel that I needed to ban it, but my standards may be more liberal.

Sunday works for game night :). Thanks for the updates.

st_toad
07-18-2011, 08:07 AM
I'll have to bow out since I can't do the Friday or Sunday night times. My $.02 regarding the rest of it is to agree with those who recommend DDI. I wouldn't really be interested in playing a game that limited options to the first 2 or 3 PHBs; I already did that at the beginning of the campaign I'm playing in and the Bard class was pretty well nerfed without the options from Arcane Power. As a DM I haven't had a problem with people doing whatever character builder will let them.

ehawk
10-31-2011, 05:25 PM
Hi, I am from Lebanon, PA and would be interested in getting back into D&D. I have played from way back (basic, expert, advanced, 2nd ed.) and 4th ed. I have not played 3/3.5 but like what I have seen of it. If you are still looking for people, please let me know. You can also contact me at eric.hawk@gmail.com Eric Hawk