PDA

View Full Version : Sudden influx of new members?

ChaunceyK
07-06-2011, 04:36 PM
In the last few days I've gotten notifications of dozens of new members near me. This is very unusual for me, as I usually get a notification of a single member every few weeks or so.

Has everyone experienced this, or does everyone suddenly want to live near me? :confused:

Dark
07-06-2011, 04:49 PM
I have and also looking for games but most tend to ignore my pms offering them a game to play in.

ChaunceyK
07-06-2011, 04:54 PM
Maybe word of P&PG just hit a thus-far untapped portion of the role-playing internet...either that, or all the MMOers are going retro.

Governor
07-07-2011, 10:41 AM
I found my way here after registering with Obsidian Portal. It could be that more people are setting up shop there and then migrating here to find people for their games. It is also convention season, so folks might be learning about the site from those sources.

ChaunceyK
07-07-2011, 01:55 PM
That makes sense, too. My main group isn't meeting tomorrow night because of DexCon weekend.

On a side note, most of the new members I'm getting notified about have n/a listed in their info. I was wondering if we were being invaded by spammers or something...guess not, seeing as there isn't any spam going on (thank the gods).

templeorder
07-07-2011, 02:25 PM
Maybe its just more people looking to explore something different. Things tend to come and go in waves, not steady streams... or trickles once they fade. I'm deluding myself i'm sure, but perhaps someday, people will tire of point, click, and the mostly flat MMO experience and want to find some real stories to be part of. While i've enjoyed a lot of online gaming in my times, i just can't do it any more. Even games like the next Diablo will get a few days of play and thats about it - mostly for nostalgia's sake. Maybe others are feeling this and coming back to table top experiences... or maybe its a fluke. Or maybe the FBI is setting up shop to monitor our subversive ideas under the guise of "one of us" through many new user accounts. heh.

Sascha
07-07-2011, 03:23 PM
Maybe word of P&PG just hit a thus-far untapped portion of the role-playing internet...either that, or all the MMOers are going retro.

I'm deluding myself i'm sure, but perhaps someday, people will tire of point, click, and the mostly flat MMO experience and want to find some real stories to be part of. While i've enjoyed a lot of online gaming in my times, i just can't do it any more. Even games like the next Diablo will get a few days of play and thats about it - mostly for nostalgia's sake. Maybe others are feeling this and coming back to table top experiences....
I'm not seeing correlation on the MMO angle, let alone causation. 'Oddity of statistics' and 'regional bias' seem most likely, barring better (or, indeed, any) methodology.

Things tend to come and go in waves, not steady streams... or trickles once they fade.
This is the best response.

yukonhorror
07-07-2011, 04:12 PM
nobody near norfolk va, that's for sure

Heroloray
07-07-2011, 06:09 PM
I just joined this site to find an online gaming group, since all my Pathfinder/D&D 3.5 buddies are on the East Coast and I'm on West Coast. Still, it seems like it's tough to get a game together wherever you are.

templeorder
07-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Sascha must be right about regional bias playing into it. In the Seattle area its like a plague of gamers. Not that they are all looking to join groups - a lot register and dont have any information... but a search reveals a massive number of them in my area.

ChaunceyK
07-07-2011, 08:11 PM
I just moved one county north a couple of months ago, and there's a ton more gamers. I've got plenty of nearby games to play in now.

Malruhn
07-07-2011, 10:41 PM
About two years ago, there were a ton of new gamers near me... and nothing in about a year. My vote goes for law of averages... and you were in a rut that is now being statistically corrected.

ZFreie
07-10-2011, 02:57 PM
I'm new, came from the WoTC website. I've been trying to get a game going for close to a year and none of my friends are interested. This was exactly what i was searching for in a website for gamers haha.