PDA

View Full Version : Shapeshift power in SUPERS!...

ReaperWolf
07-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Is it just me or is Shapeshift as described, less useful than other powers?

If the effects are just cosmetic, what's the point? If my Dino-Jo metamorph whose powers allow him to turn into various dinosaurs can't turn into a pterodactyl to fly or a velociraptor for superspeed, super senses, or superweapon natural attacks, then what's the use?

If all powers in SUPERS! are supposed to be equal, then why is shapeshift so severely limited?

For my own games I'm thinking of re-costing the shapeshift power to the same as wizardry, i.e. 1D for the first D then 2D for each D thereafter giving the player a pool of shapes, powers, and abilities to shift into. This way if Dino-Jo turns into a pterodactyl he can fly and as a T-Rex he'd have superstrength and superweapon.

Complications such as "of equal mass" and "one beastform only", and "living beings/beast" and "beasts/persons" only. This would allow the Form Change to be folded into the shapeshift power. One boost I'd probably allow is Duplicate allowing you to mimic another's form, voice, and mannerisms a la Marvel's Mystique.

If you want to use multiple abilities in the shape you'd probably have to split up the dice so if you wanted to grow into a T rex you'd probably have to split your dice among armor, superweapon, superstrength, and maybe even supersenses on a round by round basis.

This would unfortunately make the game a little more complex...

Still thinking about it.

>>ReaperWolf

danbuter
07-21-2011, 01:09 PM
I had the same feeling. Same with the Form Change power. I don't know what Form Change or Shapeshift 1D vs 3D means.

Simon W
07-23-2011, 05:10 PM
Well, for a start, if you shapeshift as a defence, you roll more dice. Alternatively, if some other super is using his supersenses to spot you, the higher your shapeshift, the better at it you are and the less likely he will be to work out that you aren't what you appear to be.

danbuter
07-23-2011, 11:51 PM
Thanks! That helps.